Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #5371
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmedic View Post
Greetings,

After much research I decided to trade in my Victory Vegas for an adventure bike. I chose a 2013 KLR 650 in yellow :)
My back ground is desert racing so I was bound to get rid of the Victory at some point to get back to the dirt. I have riden my KLR 100 miles now and i love it, though i have bottomed the rear shock out a few too many times (I'm 240 6'1). Hope to begin the modifications or as It's put here to farkle and plan some trips, my goal is to ride to alaska next year.
Thank you guys for all the great info on this site.
I also traded in a high tech fancy expensive bike for the 2013 KLR in December. 4000 miles later I am happy to have done it. The yellow looks great. Welcome to ADV Rider.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #5372
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by BERZERKOWITZ View Post
Quick question guys. I've been noticing that my KLR has been cranking progressively slower over the past few weeks. I tested the battery while running and am getting 14.5 volts at idle. The voltage does not change when the throttle is raised. I checked the rectifier and it seems to be ok. The battery is sealed and is only two years old, and I am not running any hi-power auxiliary items. I have been doing a lot of rain riding lately if that could cause a potential problem. Any ideas?
Is it possible you have a bare wire touching metal somewhere?
Might want to take a look at that as well.
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #5373
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I need to know the amount of links between the cam gears for my 08 ASAP. I line it up to TDC and the arrows on the gears are just a tick higher than the top of the head. actually they both are so the count may be good but they are both out of alignment when I put the new head on. maybe I was off a tooth or not on the T mark when I did it. let me know what ya think.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #5374
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Speaking of the Racetech stator, that is a product I am interested in and am trying to gather as much feedback as possible about reliability.
If it proves out I would install one for sure.
How do you feel about them ? How many miles do you have on one ??
My first experience with Race Tech Electric gear ( http://racetechelectric.com/ ); so far so good; will put my used OEM stator and rectifier/regulator up for sale when my confidence is satisfied.

Thanks to a bout with the-flu-that's-going-around, I haven't logged the mileage I'd like, only a couple of 100 + mile trips, but with the system stressed by jacket liner and glove electrical loads.

Bike started easily on the mornings-after, temperature in the 20's (Fahrenheit). Excellent customer service, factory warranty, fast shipping, good price. Time will tell, of course; but, I'm quite satisfied with the merchandise at the moment.

Hey, I've some electrically-heated PANTS on the way!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:33 PM   #5375
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertmedic View Post
Greetings,

After much research I decided to trade in my Victory Vegas for an adventure bike. I chose a 2013 KLR 650 in yellow :)
My back ground is desert racing so I was bound to get rid of the Victory at some point to get back to the dirt. I have riden my KLR 100 miles now and i love it, though i have bottomed the rear shock out a few too many times (I'm 240 6'1). Hope to begin the modifications or as It's put here to farkle and plan some trips, my goal is to ride to alaska next year.
Thank you guys for all the great info on this site.
.. Congrats on your new KLR .. since you're 6'1" I'll suggest that your fastest and least expensive way to beef up that rear end is Raising Links .. made a huge difference for me (6' @ 280lbs. .. at the time I put them on I was @ 340lbs) ..

.. also, if you can score one, track down a rebuilt USMC rear shock .. it is seriously beefed up with a 500-550lb progressive spring and built for use under weight .. I found one for $200.00 US .. I think there is a guy our in California that's putting them out as well (and I wish like heck I could remember where I got mine so I could pick up another as a back-up) ..

.. though you may already have the funds for one of the MOABs (or similar), I like "quality-on-the-cheap" where I can find it (it allows me to convince myself that I'm saving money for more farkles and pretending to have done it "on a budget") .. LOL ..

Best of luck on your farkles and your trip .. Alaska is one of my "Bucket List" trips .. I'm trying to get plans in place for New Brunswick/Nova Sotia .. either late this year on definitely next summer ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #5376
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
I need to know the amount of links between the cam gears for my 08 ASAP. I line it up to TDC and the arrows on the gears are just a tick higher than the top of the head. actually they both are so the count may be good but they are both out of alignment when I put the new head on. maybe I was off a tooth or not on the T mark when I did it. let me know what ya think.
Just make sure your "lazy t" is on mark, make sure no slack in chain from front side of exhaust cam and set that first, keeping chain tight set intake cam, of course watching your arrows. After getting them set put some pressure on the chain below the intake cam to get things taut, meanwhile checking your TDC and cam placement. The arrows will not always perfectly line up with the head surface, just as close as it can get and uniform....
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #5377
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quick pic of my new exhaust.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #5378
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Just make sure your "lazy t" is on mark, make sure no slack in chain from front side of exhaust cam and set that first, keeping chain tight set intake cam, of course watching your arrows. After getting them set put some pressure on the chain below the intake cam to get things taut, meanwhile checking your TDC and cam placement. The arrows will not always perfectly line up with the head surface, just as close as it can get and uniform....
You might want to do the MC mod while you are at it by advancing your exhaust cam 1 tooth and pick up some extra power.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #5379
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
You might want to do the MC mod while you are at it by advancing your exhaust cam 1 tooth and pick up some extra power.
Any downside to that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #5380
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Mike and Mikes MC mod is still in it's testing mode, in my opinion. They are playing with other degrees of advance other than the 7 degrees a tooth gives. I personally am waiting for all the info to come in.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:33 PM   #5381
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Wouldn't surprise me if EM came up with an adjustable cam gear in the near future after they nail down the optimal amount of advance...
Old 03-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #5382
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
Any downside to that?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
No downside reported, quite a few have done it already over at.net
I plan on doing it within the next couple weeks on my 2008.
Em did the testing on a 2009 and reports 7-10% power in the usable ranges.
From what I understand the 2008+ may benefit more than Gen 1 due to stock cam differences.
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #5383
BERZERKOWITZ

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
Is it possible you have a bare wire touching metal somewhere?
Might want to take a look at that as well.
I tested for currant draw and came up good. I'm questioning the integrity of the battery itself.
BERZERKOWITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #5384
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
I'm kinda looking for some KLR bars to test out on a different bike. Anyone have any good ones lying around? If so, PM me please. Thanks
Old 03-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #5385
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,396
Quote:
No downside reported, quite a few have done it already over at.net
I plan on doing it within the next couple weeks on my 2008.
Em did the testing on a 2009 and reports 7-10% power in the usable ranges.
From what I understand the 2008+ may benefit more than Gen 1 due to stock cam differences.

Just did my 07 the other day...lets hope there are no down sides and at least a slight gain

Lots of talk on HID's what's a good kit...
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote