Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #5431
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Finished drilling for the a drill thru subfarame upgrade on my 04 last night and found my holes weren't completely in alignment and I ended up cutting through the 'solid' piece that goes thru the frame (I can see the bolt in the center tube). Also ended up having to egg one side out to get the holes to align. Haven't read about anyone else doing this but I can't imagine I'm the first. Should have just stuck with going to stronger bolts. In the end I think it will probably still be stronger than stock and it should all tighten up nicely. Worst case, I'll add a few welds if it loosens up, but it should be fine.

Moral of the story, don't use a cheap drill that lacks torque. I believe the main reason my holes got off center was due to the drill binding up (and I wasn't going to fast and was using oil, it was just a crap drill). Live and learn...
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #5432
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Finished drilling for the a drill thru subfarame upgrade on my 04 last night and found my holes weren't completely in alignment and I ended up cutting through the 'solid' piece that goes thru the frame (I can see the bolt in the center tube). Also ended up having to egg one side out to get the holes to align. Haven't read about anyone else doing this but I can't imagine I'm the first. Should have just stuck with going to stronger bolts. In the end I think it will probably still be stronger than stock and it should all tighten up nicely. Worst case, I'll add a few welds if it loosens up, but it should be fine.

Moral of the story, don't use a cheap drill that lacks torque. I believe the main reason my holes got off center was due to the drill binding up (and I wasn't going to fast and was using oil, it was just a crap drill). Live and learn...

Had a similar outcome with mine. It has been just fine.
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #5433
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Had a similar outcome with mine. It has been just fine.
That makes me feel a little better. I suspected mine would be just fine, may just need to be a little more careful when torquing the nut to avoid crushing the frame tube.
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #5434
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR View Post
Try contacting Eagle Mike directly, he walked a local friend through the procedure of where to look for the missing part. You will need a flexible magnet I am told...Good Luck
The flexible fishing magnet was the trick, first stab got it. Thanks for the suggestion. By lifting the tensioning sprocket you have better access to the hole. I made a C shape in the tool. In the hole, right about 3 inches and I felt it click onto the magnet. If I hadn't found the chunk with the magnet, I would have pulled the clutch side to look for it. Now, torque everything and back together after work, then ride. And weld the crash bar.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #5435
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
The flexible fishing magnet was the trick, first stab got it. Thanks for the suggestion. By lifting the tensioning sprocket you have better access to the hole. I made a C shape in the tool. In the hole, right about 3 inches and I felt it click onto the magnet. If I hadn't found the chunk with the magnet, I would have pulled the clutch side to look for it. Now, torque everything and back together after work, then ride. And weld the crash bar.

Glad it all worked out
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:25 PM   #5436
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
Having to use one of those to get the debris out reminds me of the constipated mathematician ... he worked it out with a pencil and paper.

Well done!
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #5437
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:

Glad you found it.

Now, not having taken the clutch side off, you have to worry about the mesh screen filled with sealing tails blocking the oil to the pump that you could have attended to!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 PM   #5438
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Glad you found it.

Now, not having taken the clutch side off, you have to worry about the mesh screen filled with sealing tails blocking the oil to the pump that you could have attended to!
Speaking of which...
I just recently checked my oil screen and it was completely clear.
Piece of mind!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #5439
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,050
^Peace*

----

If I were to make up some relay harnesses for the KLR headlamp, would anyone be interested in them?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:10 AM   #5440
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163

IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:08 AM   #5441
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Glad you found it.

One day I was looking over the bike. I noticed a little oil seepage near the fill hole. The gasket from the factory was not installed correct. They replaced the gasket under the warranty. I would hope they checked the screen. When I picked up the bike they said they found a broken spring and replaced it. At the time I didn't know when the doo spring breaks it some times goes over to the clutch side. They didn't say it was the doo spring but if it was I had the Eagle Mike (E.M.) doo and would have asked them to install it. On the other hand this was before he (E.M.) came up with the torsion spring. I did order the torsion spring so that's what going back at this time. I did file a grove in the old style doo as instructed by E. M. The grove helps retain the coils of the torsion spring in place. The stock spring was still intact when I took the bike apart but it had no tension on it.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #5442
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
One day I was looking over the bike. I noticed a little oil seepage near the fill hole. The gasket from the factory was not installed correct. They replaced the gasket under the warranty. I would hope they checked the screen. When I picked up the bike they said they found a broken spring and replaced it. At the time I didn't know when the doo spring breaks it some times goes over to the clutch side. They didn't say it was the doo spring but if it was I had the Eagle Mike (E.M.) doo and would have asked them to install it. On the other hand this was before he (E.M.) came up with the torsion spring. I did order the torsion spring so that's what going back at this time. I did file a grove in the old style doo as instructed by E. M. The grove helps retain the coils of the torsion spring in place. The stock spring was still intact when I took the bike apart but it had no tension on it.
I did the doo early in the life of the bike, 2k miles - an 08 with a too long spring. I did, however, find the parts of the exhaust compression release spring in the screen when at 45K I had to replace the clutch. One spring section was in the screen and 2 sections were still next to exhaust cam in the head. Who knows when it actually broke?
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:06 AM   #5443
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,019
Does anyone know if Gen II side panels will fit on a Gen I bike?

Finding it easier to find Gen II panels in good shape.

Thank you!
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 AM   #5444
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post

Thank you!
Don't think they will....

Keep an eye out over at KLRworld they have a good classified section and you might find someone parting one out.....

I myself would like to find a pair of nice black ones.....
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #5445
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post

Thank you!
Different part #s and prices on www.cheapcycleparts.com so I imagine not. From my recollection they look a bit different too. That site has OEM parts though. Side panels aren't very cheap, 65.00...