Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #5611
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Koolaid wore off,I woke up and said what was I thinking,ya I'll get around to,never 1 to leave well enough alone,it won't be long and I'll have a KLR with more into it than I realize,when people ask I always tell um"ya it's a Internet enriched bike"
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM   #5612
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Everything in the carb is reversible except drilling the slide and that does nothing but quicken response.
Even that's more-or-less reversible; my riding partner (ca. 50,000 miles on his '08) restored his carb to stock condition (about 45,000 miles ago); J-B Welded the slide vacuum port and re-drilled it to stock diameter.

He's happy with his OEM-like configuration; I'm satisfied with my full-up 22-cent mod; "Different strokes . . ." and all that!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #5613
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Even that's more-or-less reversible; my riding partner (ca. 50,000 miles on his '08) restored his carb to stock condition (about 45,000 miles ago); J-B Welded the slide vacuum port and re-drilled it to stock diameter.

He's happy with his OEM-like configuration; I'm satisfied with my full-up 22-cent mod; "Different strokes . . ." and all that!
Ya you gotta love that JB weld,it fixes stuff,and makes me look for it when I buy used vehicles,need that JB magnet!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 AM   #5614
8lives
Dharma Bum

Hey seeing as how JB weld popped up,Hurricane mod or Raptor Petcock?JB weld I have and gas resistant gasket is cheap,Raptor Petcock more money and I gotta order it,my stock Petcock is working but Its buggin me and old habit of turn off motor turn off gas is normal for me so any thoughts??
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #5615
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

I guess playing semantics,EVERYTHING is reversible..
Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #5616
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
. . . Raptor Petcock more money and I gotta order it,my stock Petcock is working but Its buggin me and old habit of turn off motor turn off gas is normal for me so any thoughts??
The Raptor petcock has a shorter main intake so you get more range on "on" and less range on "res". I wanted those to be normal so I lengthened the main intake and you can find pics in the KLR Modifications thread.

If I got another KLR today I'd probably go with the vacuum blockoff mod instead of buying the Raptor petcock. You can see pics of the vacuum blockoff mod within a page or so of my Raptor pictures on the KLR Modifications thread.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #5617
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Hey seeing as how JB weld popped up,Hurricane mod or Raptor Petcock?JB weld I have and gas resistant gasket is cheap,Raptor Petcock more money and I gotta order it,my stock Petcock is working but Its buggin me and old habit of turn off motor turn off gas is normal for me so any thoughts??
My petcock had a drip of gas where the swivel is. I moved it around and the swivel came out of the petcock. I pushed it back in and it feels tight but it's one of those "once it's in, it doesn't come out" and if it does it's not good. I bought the 2001 Raptor 660 petcock. 3 Yamaha dealers in OK. The one that's 10 miles from the house was 3 dollars over list plus tax. The other 2 that are more than 60 miles round trip were cost plus tax. I ordered mine from Service Honda, petcock and shipping was 3 dollars less than list price, delivered to my door, same amount of wait time. They all said about 6 working days. Ordered it on 3/13 scheduled delivery is 3/21.

From the picture you can tell it's been leaking for awhile.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:02 PM   #5618
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
The Raptor petcock has a shorter main intake so you get more range on "on" and less range on "res". I wanted those to be normal so I lengthened the main intake and you can find pics in the KLR Modifications thread.

If I got another KLR today I'd probably go with the vacuum blockoff mod instead of buying the Raptor petcock. You can see pics of the vacuum blockoff mod within a page or so of my Raptor pictures on the KLR Modifications thread.
Thanks I saw the main/reserve change in my searches,that's not to big of a deal,but I can do the block off for next to nothing so that's gonna be my direction with that,and while I'm waiting for the JB to set up I'll roll the carb and fix the mix screw and .22 mod it,just cleaned out my nuts&bolts bin and I already have washers.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 PM   #5619
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
My petcock had a drip of gas where the swivel is. I moved it around and the swivel came out of the petcock. I pushed it back in and it feels tight but it's one of those "once it's in, it doesn't come out" and if it does it's not good. I bought the 2001 Raptor 660 petcock. 3 Yamaha dealers in OK. The one that's 10 miles from the house was 3 dollars over list plus tax. The other 2 that are more than 60 miles round trip were cost plus tax. I ordered mine from Service Honda, petcock and shipping was 3 dollars less than list price, delivered to my door, same amount of wait time. They all said about 6 working days. Ordered it on 3/13 scheduled delivery is 3/21.

From the picture you can tell it's been leaking for awhile.
Thanks fer the comments on your Raptor petcock
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #5620
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Can anybody direct me to a store that sells what I need to do the carb vent t-mod? And like.. what do I need? i need to know the tube sizes or whatever. So if anybody has done this already could you help me out?

Thanks guys

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #5621
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Marknet's website has good walkthoughs on many KLR mods....
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #5622
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Marknet's website has good walkthoughs on many KLR mods....
Cool! I'll give it a look. thanks!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #5623
JBradley500
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Can anybody direct me to a store that sells what I need to do the carb vent t-mod? And like.. what do I need? i need to know the tube sizes or whatever. So if anybody has done this already could you help me out?

Thanks guys
I went to advance auto and in the help section they have vacuum fittings in a kit of 5-10 of them maybe... it had the 1/4" Y-fitting that is recommended. I then went to Lowes and got a roll of 1/4" vinyl tubing. I probably had 6-7 bucks into it total and now i have 20" of tubing left over and a handful of vacuum fittings.
JBradley500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #5624
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBradley500 View Post
I went to advance auto and in the help section they have vacuum fittings in a kit of 5-10 of them maybe... it had the 1/4" Y-fitting that is recommended. I then went to Lowes and got a roll of 1/4" vinyl tubing. I probably had 6-7 bucks into it total and now i have 20" of tubing left over and a handful of vacuum fittings.
Sweeeet. That's the info I needed.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #5625
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post

Thanks guys
Use what both of them said,that site that brian mentioned is chalked full of info,you look at the site then you will usually end up with a inexpensive mod with parts from your shelves or hardware store etc