Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #5626
BruceDeuce
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Marknet's website has good walkthoughs on many KLR mods....
You pointed me in this direction as well. Alot of info there!!!
86 KLR600 / Yamoto 50cc Quad / 2006 Loncin 110 Quad / 1985 LT250EF Quadrunner / 1979 XS650 Special / 1972 Kawasaki G3SS 90 / 1973 Aermacchi X90 / 1986 Honda 450 Rebel restored / 2003 HD Deuce Screaming Eagle / 1978 Honda 550 Four (K) / BAYOU 220 / 1985 BAHA 90 / 1987 KDX 80
BruceDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #5627
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Hi folks,

Just bought a brand new KLR650 and thought I'd pop in and say hello. Still got my Wee but wanted something a bit easier to ride on the gravel roads and trails in the nearby hills. I love the Wee but she is a little heavy and scared me too much on the slippery stuff so I went and bought myself a big K. Never ridden one but can't wait to put it through it's paces.

I have ridden the mighty DR650 and loved it. My good friend Brian (exile730) is the proud owner of a well farkled 2004 DR and that bike blew me away on the gravel. For some reason I don't understand though I have always been drawn to the KLR so chose it over the DR, and to be honest, to buy it brand new didn't cost much more than a good one that is 2-3 years old. It was a no brainer really! What I do know is that it will give me lots of fun and I can't wait to get it in the next couple of days.

Looking forward to posting some pics and ride reports over the next few weeks.

Rod.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #5628
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
My battery is bad... Nothing wrong with the bike which is relieving.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #5629
k-ris
antisocial

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kckeeny View Post
How many people do you figure that we need for a Wisco KLR Tech Day?
I'd be in for a WI (preferrably SE WI) tech day.
k-ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #5630
road_apple
Hit the Trail

Oddometer: 140
Tech Day SEWI

Intrested. Mostly done on mine but would be willing to help. Will ride up with tools if spring ever comes...
road_apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #5631
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy1986 View Post
I am looking to modify my stock exhaust do any of you guys have any ideas on what the best way to do that is. I'm lookin for a little more sound and maybe a little more pep. All help will be appreciated. Thanks

I have just the thing for you!! I've a '12 model, and I wanted the same thing:a little better sound and a less restrictive muffler. I bought a good metal cutting holesaw to cut out the end baffle/spark arrestor and I had an old aluminum tip from my DRZ400 layin around that I modified to fit the end. Looks factory and sounds great! Not too loud, but a good deap tone and you can tell the difference in power too. Give me a holler with any more questions!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:34 PM   #5632
FoolHardy
Still Inky

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
My petcock had a drip of gas where the swivel is. I moved it around and the swivel came out of the petcock. I pushed it back in and it feels tight but it's one of those "once it's in, it doesn't come out" and if it does it's not good. I bought the 2001 Raptor 660 petcock. 3 Yamaha dealers in OK. The one that's 10 miles from the house was 3 dollars over list plus tax. The other 2 that are more than 60 miles round trip were cost plus tax. I ordered mine from Service Honda, petcock and shipping was 3 dollars less than list price, delivered to my door, same amount of wait time. They all said about 6 working days. Ordered it on 3/13 scheduled delivery is 3/21.

From the picture you can tell it's been leaking for awhile.
Mine has been like that for probably 25,000 miles, it has never leaked. Works kind of like a quick disconnect, for when I pull the tank. It is starting to get looser, thinking about JB welding it.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - T.S. Elliot
FoolHardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 PM   #5633
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
It's made to be a press fit. Just give it a tap with a small hammer at any angle you want.....
Old 03-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #5634
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I guess playing semantics,EVERYTHING is reversible..
Good point, SBB!

"Reversible," as I used the term, appears imprecise and inaccurate; poor word choice on my part. Should have said something like, "Stock operation can be restored easily by . . . ", better conveying my meaning.

Didn't mean to appear contradictory; regrets for any offense given, none intended.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 AM   #5635
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolHardy View Post
Mine has been like that for probably 25,000 miles, it has never leaked. Works kind of like a quick disconnect, for when I pull the tank. It is starting to get looser, thinking about JB welding it.
I don't want to waste a drop of gas or have any potential problems when riding alone in remote areas. A gas leak under my tank makes me think about the worst case scenario, my crotch on fire and my buddies putting it out with their helmets. I pushed it back in and I'm still riding, but I need piece of mind so I chose to order a new petcock to eliminate a know problem on my bike. Another plus, I will be able to drain fuel without having the engine running, for the comrades riding dirt bikes with small tanks. I was one of those dirt bike riders and it's a hassle to get the fuel from a KLR with the diaphragm petcock. I carry 10 feet of small tubing when riding my dirt bikes now.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #5636
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

I hear ya. I gutted my stock petcock cuz the carb I run has no vacuum line. I know that diaphragm has left people stranded but I kinda liked the idea..... As far as the nipple, it IS made that way and I am glad! The inlet to my carb is in a different place than the CVK so I just broke the nipple loose, rotated it to the best position and gave it a tap to reset it.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:47 AM   #5637
woodmnctry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibumbrian View Post
marknet's website has good walkthoughs on many klr mods....

????? What/where is marknet's website??
Tks
g
woodmnctry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #5638
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

www.klr650.marknet.us
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #5639
2whlrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
A gas leak under my tank makes me think about the worst case scenario, my crotch on fire and my buddies putting it out with their helmets.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #5640
pirate gonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Exhaust rubber side cover thingamabobber?

Can anyone tell me a source for the rubber whatchamacallit that goes between the exhaust and side cover on an 08'? It mounts on the exhaust side and is rubber disk shaped. I can post a pic if needed.

I don't know what it is called and I am having a heck of a time finding one online with out a name or part number. Dug through a couple of fiche but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote