Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #5641
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
Can anyone tell me a source for the rubber whatchamacallit that goes between the exhaust and side cover on an 08'? It mounts on the exhaust side and is rubber disk shaped. I can post a pic if needed.

I don't know what it is called and I am having a heck of a time finding one online with out a name or part number. Dug through a couple of fiche but didn't have any luck.

Thanks!
https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSe...SearchBy=Model

Part Number 92161-0336 (Qty): 2

Description: DAMPER
Package Quantity: 1
Item Status Code: Active

You need to be looking at the muffler, not the side cover. The pix show it as 92161A
Old 03-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #5642
hannes vg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
klr battery

hello,

i bought a 2003 klr 650.
i'm driving it from calgary up north to seward and back.
i got heated gloves to connect on the battery.
but is it also possible to put a 12V charger/usb on the battery? (gps/cellphone) to charge while riding.

thanks
hannes vg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #5643
jeepsandbikes
loneadventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannes vg View Post
hello,

i bought a 2003 klr 650.
i'm driving it from calgary up north to seward and back.
i got heated gloves to connect on the battery.
but is it also possible to put a 12V charger/usb on the battery? (gps/cellphone) to charge while riding.

thanks
yes , you can run a few things off the bike but dont go to crazy , you can save a lot of power by replacing the lights with LED's . it will free up power for other things . adding a small volt meter is a good idea to keep a eye on things too .
Old 03-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #5644
wyoly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Battery upgrade

Finished the winter projects a couple of weeks ago on my 2008. Did the doo, nothing broke but the spring was not very tight.
Changed oil and put in new low profile drain plug, I really like it. Plug does not stick out below the skid plate know.
Also upgraded the battery to the Odyssey PC545 battery and does it turn the engine over really good.
Got one afternoon in riding but has been snowing this last week so waiting on better weather.
wyoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #5645
Vic Cosmic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a dash that I bought on ebay with a cigarette lighter and I bought a usb insert for it. I can charge my phone, video camera, I pad, and any 12 volt apparatus while riding.
hannes vg. Best looking bike they ever came out with. Now get a harder spring for that rear end and loader up.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #5646
SFC_Ren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
2007 & earlier or 2008 and up?

Since, you all are the KLR experts here. I'm considering one, I'm looking at used but really am trying to figure out for a 50/50 on-road/off-road bike which would be better an 2007 an earlier or 2008 and up. From what I can personally can figure the newer is more street oriented with less ground clearance, more weight (50lbs)and better wind protection, and it seems like the older would be better off road. I currently am riding a DR350 that weighs about 300 lbs for the same 50/50 riding.
I thank you all.in advance for your opinions and assistance.
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #5647
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC_Ren View Post
Since, you all are the KLR experts here. I'm considering one, I'm looking at used but really am trying to figure out for a 50/50 on-road/off-road bike which would be better an 2007 an earlier or 2008 and up. From what I can personally can figure the newer is more street oriented with less ground clearance, more weight (50lbs)and better wind protection, and it seems like the older would be better off road. I currently am riding a DR350 that weighs about 300 lbs for the same 50/50 riding.
Gen 1 plastics are cheaper. You know, if you ever happen to drop it.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #5648
SFC_Ren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Haha, okay thanks I'll remember that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Gen 1 plastics are cheaper. You know, if you ever happen to drop it.
SFC_Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #5649
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Gen 1 plastics are cheaper. You know, WHEN drop it.
Fixed it for you
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #5650
Vic Cosmic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a 03. and I have a lot of friend with both styles. All I can say is if you can find either for a good price and low miles with lots of mod. snatch it up.
The new generation is equally as good off road and can stand up to one hell of a kicking. More than first gen. The tank plastic need to be zip tied back on first time down. I have seen many many of dumps and crash's. On that note the new generation has better wind protection for road use. (not to mention doesn't look like a 80's bike)

so to break it down I would go with a new one if money is no object. if you want to save money for pretty much the same bike then buy a older one with low miles and you will have extra $$$ to make it just the way you want it.

I love my klr just would love it more if it had a 6th gear.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #5651
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/200...klr_intro.html

Good information here!
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #5652
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
If your looking for a good 50/50 bike, either generation will do. But yes, if your doing more dirt, I'd recommend a first gen bike. The second gen's like mine are still good machines, but a little heavier yes, better wind protection yes, and better looking, but just a notch below a first gen as far as dirt riding. If you do go with a second gen, try to go with a '10 on up if possible. The 08-09 was the first 'experimentle' years with the new setup and had bad issues with piston rings wearing and wiring harnesses rubbing through. Myself, I love my '12. I've got a Cee Baileys windsheild, SW Motech crashbars, Givi tailbox, and some other addons that make it rather comfortable. The main reason I went with a KLR as compared to an XR or DR was it's a great bike for everything, but not an expert at just one thing. It's quite literally the best all around dual-sport under 7grand you can buy. Good luck with whatever you decide on!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:32 AM   #5653
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Go ride in April

April is 'AMA go ride!' month guys. So get out there and rack up the miles!!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #5654
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
April is 'AMA go ride!' month guys. So get out there and rack up the miles!!

Not in Alaska. Holy crap just when things were looking up, we get inches of snow yesterday and today. This place sucks!!
Old 03-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #5655
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
The snow got 2 deep

I went out back roadin today and the snow got to deep,dam KLR is good but I was by myself and goin up hill just wasn't any fun so I had to turn around,got some good views and had a good time,I was almost back to my house and found a guy with a flat and cause I carry a tubeless plug kit with my gutted air compressor(hey it doesn't take up any more space and I dig helpin people)so I got to add some good karma points to my soul and get him on his way.What a good day me and the KLR had!!!
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote