Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #5686
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Seeing as there are mostly American riders on this thread and I am Canadian, do any of you have any pointers when going through large cities like Chicago? Everybody has been telling me to go around these places because they're too crazy but I say fuck that

I want to experience Chicago and Detroit and whatever other cities we're going through. So if anybody has any tips for what to look for please PM me so I can add it to my plans! I'm looking for what to do/what not to do, touresty places we should visit, good hotels, etc.

Thanks

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #5687
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
this is the best advice i can give you just rember when you are on your bike down here that every one is out to get you meaning run you over or off the road or try and t bone you if you keep this attitude youll do just fine its how i see things and kept me in one peace so far ah yea one more thing tail gaters will run you over cause they cant stop as fast as you
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #5688
BillUA
Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Seeing as there are mostly American riders on this thread and I am Canadian, do any of you have any pointers when going through large cities like Chicago? Everybody has been telling me to go around these places because they're too crazy but I say fuck that

I want to experience Chicago and Detroit and whatever other cities we're going through. So if anybody has any tips for what to look for please PM me so I can add it to my plans! I'm looking for what to do/what not to do, touresty places we should visit, good hotels, etc.

Thanks

Get a headlight modulator... Americans are fascinated with technology and the majority of cage drivers drive with their heads up their rears.

It is the worst in the major cities and here in LAS about one rider a week, yes, one a week is taken out by some asshat turning in front of them.
2002 WR 426 Hot Cams
BillUA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:11 AM   #5689
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS GUY View Post
Is your carb stock ? Or possibly the pilot jet is partially plugged ? Or old fuel.

I would pull the pilot jet out and make sure it isn't restricted and I would also remove the idle mixture screw plug if it has not been already and see where it is set and adjust it to a recommended setting or get a extended one you can adjust while the bike is running and set it to the spot that achieves the highest idle, then go back and set idle to spec with the idle speed screw.

And I would make sure the fuel is fresh.
Agreed with GasGuy on everything he's said here. The pilot screw being set to the right setting is a big factor in both starting and low-throttle-level (up to about 1/4 throttle) running of the engine.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:17 AM   #5690
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:

Thanks
Martin Luther King Jr is a famous person in the US, roads named after him in large cities generally don't take you to monuments or scenic riding, possibly adventurous however.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:26 AM   #5691
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,322
Riding through American cities could be the greatest adventure of all. If you survive, please write your tales here.
We love Canadian riders here, its like they're from a whole different country.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 AM   #5692
Hawk62cj5
2 Cheap 4 a KLR

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Martin Luther King Jr is a famous person in the US, roads named after him in large cities generally don't take you to monuments or scenic riding, possibly adventurous however.

This and keep your head on a pivot , its not unheard of to have people take a rider off his bike and take it up in the large urban areas . I have to work in some minor large cities at night in some of the not so great neighbor hoods so its not uncommon for me to unholster my 45 and lay it in my lap when Im in my work van . If I was on a bike I would try my damnedist not to stop rolling in the sketchy areas even if it means not fully obeying traffic laws .
Hawk62cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #5693
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
I suggest that you ask in the Central regional forum for those cities and other regional forums for other cities. Perhaps even start one new thread per city. The average KLR rider may not be a big fan of big cities the way Ducati riders might be.

My best experiences in cities are when I go to a particular neighborhood. Most cities have decent areas around the city proper and the areas will have different flavors depending on when they were "rehabbed". When I've gone into cities without a plan it's generally hell. But the plan may be as simple as "see Cambridge, not Tremont"

You mention 2 cities. My random sample of Detroit on a bicycle didn't include "touristy places we should visit". I can't tell if you'll be going through other cities that I know more about.. For me, random samples of Boston and NYC have been more successful.

And you may need to specify a budget; hotels in cities will be more expensive and "good hotels" may be $500/night but you may find something tolerable for $200.

Good luck.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:59 AM   #5694
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 590
Read every comment, thanks everyone. To avoid any confrontations, we'll be staying in the touresty places. On bikes we are vulnerable so we don't want to ask for trouble by stopping in the sketchier areas. I think we're gonna park the bikes somewhere and bus/walk to our destinations. We wanna see some music, eat some good food, see some historic attractions and continue on our adventure to the East coast.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #5695
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 413
I think you've got the right idea. When I go to a big city, I have a hotel with secure indoor parking set up in advance, get there, and use the local public transportation. Unfamiliar big cities (even the ones in Canada) are no fun to ride around or to park (securely) in for me.

Jim

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #5696
Keating
pre-n00b

Oddometer: 184
Throttle tube sticking.

Noticed my throttle sticking today. Stays where it is when you let go.
I removed the throttle tube from the throttle assembly.
The carb goes from full open to closed throttle with plenty of spring tenstion to snap it closed. Cables are fine, grip isn't rubbing on the throttle assembly, grip isn't pushed on to far, rubbing on end of bar.

the tube itself is tight on the bar. I put the throttle tube on the bar, disconnected from the throttle assembly and even just the tube sticks.
I cleaned inside the tube and outside of the bar with methylated sprits and greased it with spray white lithium, no go, cleaned again, lubed with bearing grease, no go, cleaned again and lubed with spray silicone lube...same thing.
It's "grabby" as it rotates.

The bar doesn't seem squat/oval.... it just seems too tight.

Advice??

Should the bar have anything on it? I was thinking a wrap of thin teflon tape.
A bearing on the bar end...something.

Can I fill the throttle tube with boiling water and drive a tight fitting dowel in it and let it cool?
Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM   #5697
Joetool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Ohhh...planted, tracks like it's on a rail, sticks to corners; all words I didn't understand, until today.

Just got back from a ride after putting a k60 on the rear (coming from stock tires), a tkc80 on the front, a ricor rear shock on, and ricor intiminators....

...HOLY.SHIT!

Doing that all at once really highlighted the shortcomings of a newer gen KLR! Rode some twisties (boulder canyon, and some off road. I feel like I gained 5 years of experience. The gravel roads that I have been running under the speed limit on I was taking at 35mph+! The tkc tracks great in the gravely mud.

Now I get "hooked up"...
Joetool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #5698
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:

Thanks
Watch out for the toll road around Chi-town. I almost got stuck on that once. In 2011 I rode my KLR into Chicago, through a not very good area and made it downtown. My goal was to get a photo in front of the fountain shown at the beginning of "Married with Children". I never left the bike since I had too much crap strapped to it, BUT, the place wasn't as bad as I expected. If you really want to see it, I would follow the advise of finding a secure hotel and just taking some other form of transport to what you want to see
Old 03-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #5699
Mile Maker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Thumb 685

Earlier this weekend, I just finished installing my 685 kit. Complete with a FMF Q4 , FMF powerbomb, and a ported by myself cylinder head.

Yup the 685 kit is as nice as people say it is. Smoother engine and more power.
I only have about 100 km on it, but so far it has been worth the money.
I just wish that i could have ridden the bike with the old cylinder more recently, so that i could have a better before / after comparison. The previous ride was in August, due to broken ribs, work, and winter.

The Q4 is about as loud as i would want. I had a stock can with the cheap exhaust mod done to it.

Now that's IT. No MORE MODS to the KLR. I have to buy a new bike if i want to play in the garage from now on!

Mile Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #5700
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keating View Post
Noticed my throttle sticking today. Stays where it is when you let go.
I removed the throttle tube from the throttle assembly.
The carb goes from full open to closed throttle with plenty of spring tenstion to snap it closed. Cables are fine, grip isn't rubbing on the throttle assembly, grip isn't pushed on to far, rubbing on end of bar.

the tube itself is tight on the bar. I put the throttle tube on the bar, disconnected from the throttle assembly and even just the tube sticks.
I cleaned inside the tube and outside of the bar with methylated sprits and greased it with spray white lithium, no go, cleaned again, lubed with bearing grease, no go, cleaned again and lubed with spray silicone lube...same thing.
It's "grabby" as it rotates.

The bar doesn't seem squat/oval.... it just seems too tight.

Advice??

Should the bar have anything on it? I was thinking a wrap of thin teflon tape.
A bearing on the bar end...something.

Can I fill the throttle tube with boiling water and drive a tight fitting dowel in it and let it cool?
Had that issue a couple of times, installing guards, cables, etc. Everytime I just made sure that no burrs were causing drag, nothing too tight and binding then sprayed some Slick50 from the bar end and freed it up...