Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #5836
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
That is one excellent quote right there.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM   #5837
brendonb11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
rent a bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallyhip View Post
I wish the shop were mine. It's MotoMethod in Vancouver. For $100/year, you can use their tools, lifts and advice for $25/hr. You also get a t-shirt and free tire changes (wheels off the bike, $20 if they take them off). HIGHLY recommended.
I was reading an article about this place... I love the idea of a garage where you can rent a bay.
brendonb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:52 PM   #5838
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
They never like me.
Harley guys have a 6th sense around me, they have a feeling I know the only difference between a Harley and a Hoover is where they put the dirt bag.
I'm gonna write that 1 down in my book of cool stuff I hear and read along the way(see what I mean about the nerd issue)oh and if I get beat up for using this I'll let y'all know how it went.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #5839
8lives
Dharma Bum

The nice thing about a KLR is all you gotta do is find a dirt road,the V twin community thinks they will"go down" if they leave the pavement.I know be nice to them guys,I'll stop.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #5840
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,350
Saturday my friend and I were riding, he on a Strom and me on the KLR. On every paved road we saw Harleys, bandanas, etc. One of the first nice days we've had in Ohio.

We spent a half hour on dusty gravel farm roads, when we pulled up to another paved road I couldn't even see out of my face shield.

My buddy said, "We didn't see one Harley on that whole stretch of gravel".

They don't know what they're missing.
And the old Hoover plant is right up the road.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #5841
superdutyGS
lone rider

Oddometer: 845
links

friends I need help. Please recommend a company for 2 inch lowering links for a 07 klr 650. No dirt use just gravel roads. Can you please pm or bump the thread with a recommendation. I appreciate it.

Set tall in the saddle, hold your head up high...Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky....Live like you aint afraid to die. And don't be scared, just enjoy the ride. "Chris Ledoux"
superdutyGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #5842
8lives
Dharma Bum

Kouba lowering links,well made.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #5843
Mark_S
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
What sort of breakages?

KLR's are pretty rugged if well maintained. I am at 50K miles on an 08 and have not encountered breakages other than the small decompression spring in the head and a rear counter balancer bearing at 10K. I do not consider consumables such as cables, clutch, light bulbs and tires wear as 'breakages'.

Owning a Beemer, I bought an 08 new wanting a dual purpose ride and nearly sold it after 4 months - disgusted with its handling in wind and other minor issues. I was expecting the same solid road manners and brakes as a Beemer. Took the challenge and began working on it. Still have both bikes and enjoy both- but they are different animals. The aftermarket availability of improved brakes etc makes working on it fun, if you are so inclined.

All makes and models have their strong points, weaknesses and kwirks! Choose you own medicine- That is very personal. Did a ride through Nova Scotia last year. One of the riders was on a later model Tiger. several times we stopped to tighten bolts, pick up parts and panniers from it. That was until supplied extra bolts and loaned him some straps. The KLR was solid.
Hi - in a period of about 4 rides over 6 weeks the following things went wrong

replaced slightly worn cush drive bearing and discovered new bearing is a loose fit - somehow the bearing seat is damaged (never had a destroyed hub bearing)

Speedo drive seized and destroyed the hub where the speedo gear sits.

rear rack bolts pulled out for a second time

water pump seal started drooling all over the place and the countershaft seal started leaking

I had thought I maintained it well but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickStart1 View Post
Mark,
Time to consider, going to a KTM or a ? multi cylinder ADV bike sound's like your (skill level) is above the KLR's ability to take the constant hard abuse just my opinion from a cheap and abused KLR ryder
its not so much a high skill level (I'm an average rider at best) as where its been ridden - lots of wet gritty/muddy areas that are very hard on bikes - and lots of rocks to reshape just about everything underneath - my sw motech bars will no longer go back on the bike - even with unreasonable persuasion they just won't line up with all the bolt holes

The only way I'll ever know is to buy a multi and keep the klr and see which I prefer - I can afford that as long as I buy an older bike.

thanks for the answers guys
Old 04-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #5844
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
Not saying this is what happened, but . . . reassembly of the front hub is critical; a li'l ol' washer therein has a couple of "wings," tabs that must mesh with appropriate grooves, for proper operation. Person or persons unknown (Moi? Moi?) somehow bent the tabs out-of-reach of the slots; only result in this case was: Dead speedometer and odometer. Tabs could have broken off and fallen into worm-drive mechanism, causing all sorts of mayhem.

Some Fred Flintstone-style rehabilitation (flattened washer sufficiently in vise, aligned wings correctly into slots, THIS time), and . . . problem solved.

So, a fast, desperate, careless trailside wheel replacement after flat repair can end poorly; mind the tabs!

Again, not saying that was your failure mode and damage mechanism for your speedometer drive, but . . . could have been MINE.

Regardless, appreciate your attitude, working with your KLR and fixing it when it breaks! You are not alone.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #5845
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I'm going to have to rebuild my bike soon... It's burning oil, a lot of oil.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 AM   #5846
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Not saying this is what happened, but . . . reassembly of the front hub is critical; a li'l ol' washer therein has a couple of "wings," tabs that must mesh with appropriate grooves, for proper operation. Person or persons unknown (Moi? Moi?) somehow bent the tabs out-of-reach of the slots; only result in this case was: Dead speedometer and odometer. Tabs could have broken off and fallen into worm-drive mechanism, causing all sorts of mayhem.

Some Fred Flintstone-style rehabilitation (flattened washer sufficiently in vise, aligned wings correctly into slots, THIS time), and . . . problem solved.

So, a fast, desperate, careless trailside wheel replacement after flat repair can end poorly; mind the tabs!

Again, not saying that was your failure mode and damage mechanism for your speedometer drive, but . . . could have been MINE.

Regardless, appreciate your attitude, working with your KLR and fixing it when it breaks! You are not alone.
I did exactly that (to bend the tabs by incorrectly installing the drive) and I did exactly that (flatten the washer again) to fix it.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 AM   #5847
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
replaced slightly worn cush drive bearing and discovered new bearing is a loose fit - somehow the bearing seat is damaged (never had a destroyed hub bearing)

rear rack bolts pulled out for a second time

water pump seal started drooling all over the place and the countershaft seal started leaking

I had thought I maintained it well but.... thanks for the answers guys
The reasons that I do all of my maintenance myself - all of these are related to PM and proper assembly. All the reasons why riders should take up the challange and learn to do their own and have the satisfaction that the job is done right! It also makes you independant.

Buy a set of tools - they will pay for themselves many, many times over. Get a manual for the bike and find a buddy that is knowledgable and begin. There is always plenty of help here on this board too.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #5848
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomizingKid View Post
I'm going to have to rebuild my bike soon... It's burning oil, a lot of oil.
Miles?

Go 685, it will put a smile on your face.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #5849
8lives
Dharma Bum

I agree about doing your own work,Harbor freight sells good cheap tools,and I know people get all worked up about H.F stuff,but hey if your here and riding a KLR your already on board,bikes are nice because most projects can be tackled with basic knowledge and in a short time,in a very small space,I think most people can quickly build the skills needed to do anything on the bike they own and begin to introduce others,I started this way and continue to learn and sometimes make mistakes,but in the end you are still money ahead of paying someone else.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 AM   #5850
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog View Post
No cush drive damper. Part #92075 HERE.

Sprocket carrier won't seat on the hub properly without it. Hence the "explosion" and subsequent hub ruination.

The backside of the sprocket carrier isn't pictured, but I'm guessing the rubber cush drive damper isn't there. The assembly sound effects seem to support this.
Yep, the cush has always been installed, just wasn't in the video. Wish the "explosion" happened to me , then maybe I'd know more about what led up to it.

Oh well. New wheel's on the way!
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote