Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5866
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Random question.. the speedo doesn't work on my boyfriend's 2000. I have noooo idea where to look first.
What should I do?
Not to contradict the valid and well-intentioned advice you've received; my recommendations:

1. Disconnect cable at wheel hub (pliers oughta do it).
2. Chuck cable end into drill; run drill COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, observe speedometer/odometer. If needle/odometer move, problem is in hub drive.
3. Assuming hub drive problem; remove front axle, remove speedometer drive from hub and inspect. Look to see the winged washer wings are flat in plane with washer, and engaged in slots in wheel hub. If not, flatten washer, engage slots and replace. Examine worm drive; confirm rotation of drive mechanism forked by cable end when relative rotary motion occurs, wheel hub to drive housing.
4. No speedometer movement with drill test? First, make SURE upper cable end penetrates FULLY speedometer when you perform test; square cable end can easily drop from speedometer housing. Still no movement? Unscrew speedometer nut and inspect cable end; with front wheel off ground, spin wheel, observe cable center rotation.
5. If your cable's intact, hub drive working, cable properly installed, and no speedometer action, either speed needle or odometer . . . hate to break the news, but . . . looks like a bad speedometer, requiring removal and repair/replacement.

Good luck!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:13 PM   #5867
WERA456
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
If you end up needing a speedo and or speedo cable I have both for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Not to contradict the valid and well-intentioned advice you've received; my recommendations:

2. Chuck cable end into drill; run drill COUNTER-CLOCKWISE, observe speedometer/odometer. If needle/odometer move, problem is in hub drive.
3. Assuming hub drive problem; remove front axle, remove speedometer drive from hub and inspect. Look to see the winged washer wings are flat in plane with washer, and engaged in slots in wheel hub. If not, flatten washer, engage slots and replace. Examine worm drive; confirm rotation of drive mechanism forked by cable end when relative rotary motion occurs, wheel hub to drive housing.
4. No speedometer movement with drill test? First, make SURE upper cable end penetrates FULLY speedometer when you perform test; square cable end can easily drop from speedometer housing. Still no movement? Unscrew speedometer nut and inspect cable end; with front wheel off ground, spin wheel, observe cable center rotation.
5. If your cable's intact, hub drive working, cable properly installed, and no speedometer action, either speed needle or odometer . . . hate to break the news, but . . . looks like a bad speedometer, requiring removal and repair/replacement.

Good luck!
WERA456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #5868
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

Good luck!
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #5869
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
The Australian delivered KLRs have a government directed restriction installed onto the bikes/carb. This severely limits the power. It (like the EPA controls placed on ours here in the USA, which does not affect the performance) can be removed.

I have an 08 works manual at home that I recall has the Aussie limiter illustrated. I will review it when I get home from work.
The manual does not help me much. There are pics that indicate what looks like a water system attachment to the carb as well as a different pilot screw adjustment.

I suggest you post your question on the regional forums section -Australia, where it is more likely to be seen and responded to locally.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #5870
NHMatt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
If the plastic cap for my choke plunger is cracked should fuel be leaking out? Or is it 2 problems I have?
Old 04-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #5871
avejoe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeKLR View Post
Random question.. the speedo doesn't work on my boyfriend's 2000. I have noooo idea where to look first.
What should I do?
I hear ya. My speedo used to work too. Fast forward a decade or two and now no so much. Had to go with board shorts.
avejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #5872
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by avejoe View Post
I hear ya. My speedo used to work too. Fast forward a decade or two and now no so much. Had to go with board shorts.
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #5873
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
There you go kamikaze. Can't wait to see what you do with that.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #5874
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
If the plastic cap for my choke plunger is cracked should fuel be leaking out? Or is it 2 problems I have?
No leak probable. When "choke" is OFF, plunger seals both fuel orifice and air passage. From, "Care And Feeding of the CVK40:"

The plastic cable cap only holds the choke cable to the carb body; as to the plastic OEM cap, Stead Engineering markets a metal replacement.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #5875
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
I want to buy a spare motor... Anyone have on for sale, looking for a 96-07.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:09 AM   #5876
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,583
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHMatt View Post
The choke plunger is entirely above the float bowl. I agree with XDragRacer that "No leak probable" but I think my reasoning is a little different.

I bought the aluminum choke retainer that XDragRacer mentions and it's a solid upgrade. Stead Engineering.

(It's not a choke; it's an enricher. I don't care one way or another, but someone will HAVE to correct us in this discussion. They won't be convinced by the word "choke" on the control knob.)

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 AM   #5877
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
(It's not a choke; it's an enricher. I don't care one way or another, but someone will HAVE to correct us in this discussion. They won't be convinced by the word "choke" on the control knob.)
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #5878
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 655
Before/after...

Picked up this 92 for $200. Only had 2450 miles but had been left outside for over 12yrs. These pix are after cleaning/scrubbing it for over 2hrs. Still had original tires.

A week later after going through everything. She started right up...

36K miles later with lots of upgrades you can't see...

I've since added a GenII rear rack and real skid plate.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM   #5879
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
Before/after...

Picked up this 92 for $200. Only had 2450 miles but had been left outside for over 12yrs. These pix are after cleaning/scrubbing it for over 2hrs. Still had original tires.

A week later after going through everything. She started right up...

36K miles later with lots of upgrades you can't see...

I've since added a GenII rear rack and real skid plate.
That is what it is all about - some TLC and ride!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:51 AM   #5880
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Board shorts don't look so good on girls.

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote