Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 AM   #5911
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobiker View Post
That's what ya call yer basic adventure

Hope you got it out ok.
Been in a similar scenario many a time. It really wasn't bad getting it out. Never had to much of a problem getting the KLRs out, usually way easier than getting the ATVs out when they are buried to the racks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoSlow View Post
"What are you up to?"

"Oh hey, Dad - just breaking in the bike for you. It's running great, that 685 really smoothed it out. It's got more punch now, too."

"Fantastic! I'm just itching it take it out, is it in the driveway?"

"Uh... no. But don't worry - I parked in a safe place where nobody will be able to steal it. Oh, hey - on an unrelated note, do you know if we have a place in town that rents cranes or front-end loaders?"
Went more along the lines of:

Me: [sends picture]
Dad: What are you doing to my bike?
Me: Breaking it in

Think he was more annoyed he was stuck at work while I was out riding. It's all his now though, I'm at the airport heading back to my out of state contract job. He didn't get his hands on it much when I was home once I got it back together though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper770 View Post
sad part is i had a 09 klr then sold it then bought a 800xc tiger then sold it 20,000 miles later and now im back on a 2013 klr650 lol go fig huh
Were you not found of the 800xc, or was it mainly the maintenance per your previous reply? Care to expand on that? I've been tossing around the idea of picking one up, though I wouldn't sell my 04 KLR (got way too much money in it, not to mention it is in pieces currently). Think it would be better for the slab, but I usually ride a Rocket III for super slab trips (and the occasional very forgiving trail ). I love the triple in my Rocket III and I haven't had to do much to it. Though dad lost the stator in his which required removing the engine due to the location .

securety10 screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 05:30 AM
securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #5912
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,647
Some riders are 'fashionistas' and change vehicles as often as their underwear to the latest and greatest bling! That applies to some KLR riders too.

I prefer to make changes that improve the the bike for ridability and reliability. Most of the added-on parts have also themselves been re-engineered to that end. The KLR is a good, simple basic tool or platform from which to do that.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #5913
viper770
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Been in a similar scenario many a time. It really wasn't bad getting it out. Never had to much of a problem getting the KLRs out, usually way easier than getting the ATVs out when they are buried to the racks...

Went more along the lines of:

Me: [sends picture]
Dad: What are you doing to my bike?
Me: Breaking it in

Think he was more annoyed he was stuck at work while I was out riding. It's all his now though, I'm at the airport heading back to my out of state contract job. He didn't get his hands on it much when I was home once I got it back together though...

Were you not found of the 800xc, or was it mainly the maintenance per your previous reply? Care to expand on that? I've been tossing around the idea of picking one up, though I wouldn't sell my 04 KLR (got way too much money in it, not to mention it is in pieces currently). Think it would be better for the slab, but I usually ride a Rocket III for super slab trips (and the occasional very forgiving trail ). I love the triple in my Rocket III and I haven't had to do much to it. Though dad lost the stator in his which required removing the engine due to the location .
the 800xc is a awsome bike. but i spend alot of my trips and time out in the middle of no where alot of times where is if something happens getting parts may be a issuse.and i avg around 3000 to 4000 miles a month so i was literaly having my bike serviced about once a month. and every time i had a service done it was costing me around 350 to 500 dollars you do the math. and that adds up fast and the nearest dealer for me was 250 miles away and alot of times it could be a pain in the ass. well i dont have those problems with the klr the klr over all for a guy like me who agv some where around 27,000 to 35,000 miles a year its just more cost effective. and a klr you can get worked on any were and most of the stuff i can do my self on the bike if it wasnt for that i probley still have it the triumph. now if you dont put on a lot of miles a year like i do yes the triumph would be ok, and the klr is a good dual sport platform meaining it can be set up for any style of ridining with the triumph your kinda locked in on what you can do.hell i read where some guys use there klr to haul stuff for work some people use them to commute,some offroad stuff all kinds of crap. you dont really here other bikes being used like that lol and if you bang the bike up its not going to put a hole in your pocket to get it fixed. hell some of your guys klrs look even better after bangingthe thing up true signs that you actully ride the thing
MY SPOT LOCATION http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...vi71zS820h7TbU

viper770 screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 08:01 AM
viper770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #5914
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Viper

With the WR and the KLR you've got it covered pretty well.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #5915
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
cold cold go away

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of this freakin cold in the Midwest. Aprils suppose to be 'get out and ride' month, not get out, feel the air, and turn right back around month,lol. We should be mowing by now, not wondering about the snow in the forcast still....just speakin my mind....
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #5916
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of this freakin cold in the Midwest. Aprils suppose to be 'get out and ride' month, not get out, feel the air, and turn right back around month,lol. We should be mowing by now, not wondering about the snow in the forcast still....just speakin my mind....
Keep the cold your way, you're not Midwest enough. OKC,OK. 80 not much wind today, ran the errands on the KLR.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #5917
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting sick and tired of this freakin cold in the Midwest. Aprils suppose to be 'get out and ride' month
Weather forecast is for "Juneuary" here in the PNW this year. Below normal and wetter....

Where's that Global Warming they've been promising?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #5918
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Not to rub anyone's face in it but it has been an awesome winter for riding in Northern California. Warmer and drier than normal..... Global warming does not necessarily mean warmer temps, darn it!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #5919
KamikazeKLR
Shorty on the 650

Oddometer: 596
despite the horrid weather we've been having up north I've managed to get out for a few hundred KMs.
Can't say I was warm, though, despite all my new Tourmaster gear! Brr

Not all those who wander are lost
2002 Kawasaki KLR650 - Big Red
KamikazeKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:54 PM   #5920
viper770
Studly Adventurer

lol you guys are funny i dont wait on the cold to go away i just turn on my heated jacket and gloves and pants and i keep on riding
Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #5921
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,791
Yeah, Northern Calif. is beautiful right now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Not to rub anyone's face in it but it has been an awesome winter for riding in Northern California. Warmer and drier than normal..... Global warming does not necessarily mean warmer temps, darn it!!
But we're going to be wishing we had a wetter winter before to long. Early fire season I'm afraid.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #5922
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
So true.... Some of this late rain has helped a little but we are still way down on precip. I wonder if the lake will fill this year, not a huge snowpack either .
Old 04-16-2013, 08:14 PM   #5923
viper770
Studly Adventurer

i live in kansas and i been riding all winter i even did two trips to colorado in the last 4 weeks dodging snow both time i got lucky but i still had a blast
Old 04-16-2013, 11:52 PM   #5924
AlaskaIsCold
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Question A Question About Cooling

Hiya!

I am preparing to ride from Anchorage AK, to San Diego, CA (in august) and I was wondering how I can improve my 2005 KLRs Cooling (The only thing changed on it is the sprockets). This is primarily because I am going to be passing through Death Valley and Central Nevada. I have ridden primarily just up here in Anchorage / Fairbanks. During a "hot summer" (~65-70*F) I notice that when I'm waiting at a long stop light my temp gauge starts to creep up, after waiting for about five minutes at a rather crowded intersection it gets to be about 2/3rds maxed. Of course when I start driving it cools back down.

But I am wondering how this would translate over to when im going ~65 and its 120*F outside. Even worse when I'm driving out of the deep valley, putting extra strain on the engine you know?

I've done cold weather riding, down to about 9F. thats not so bad. so I know how to protect the engine against cold, but I am worried about protecting it from heat. I have no idea how to modify my KLR to handle relatively high ambient temperatures.

Any advice?
AlaskaIsCold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:16 AM   #5925
D_A
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Make sure the oil you're using is right for the temperature range you'll be hitting, or be prepared to change at some point. A 10W-50 of your preferred brand (still bike suitable of course) will cover you for pretty much anything barring extreme cold, but other than making sure your coolant is in good order, your radiator isn't blocked and the fan works properly I don't have much more to add. Perhaps add a second cooling fan if there's space and wire it to a switch on your dash so you can run it full time when the ambient is in the "nasty" range?
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote