Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2013, 11:02 PM   #6016
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by just jeff View Post
When I needed a carb slide I bought it from HD. The Kawi slide was $124, the HD slide was $63 In Edmonton Alberta Canada. I have seen them on EBay For $30 in the USA. Check it out!
Regards....just jeff
I had a look on ebay. Couldn't find anything. I got a price of $46 from a company in the US for the Kawi slide. I'll check out postage costs first though before committing!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:39 AM   #6017
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
What year was your first KLR and what did you pay? And how long did you own it?

What's your least favorite thing about your KLR? (2 if you got em)

What's the top 3 things you like about your KLR?

Doin some HW and just curious of some input. Thx in advance
One Fat Roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:25 AM   #6018
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post

'87, still do.....

top heaviness

versatility, ergos, it's vintage

griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:50 AM   #6019
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
I had a look on ebay. Couldn't find anything. I got a price of $46 from a company in the US for the Kawi slide. I'll check out postage costs first though before committing!
Googled "Harley Davidson CV40 Carburetor Vacuum Piston," and came up with a hit or two:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...IDSON+27585+88+

Buy the Kawasaki part if you like, but--please put your cursor on the link above and left-click, just to see what's available.

And, just wondering . . . no Harley dealers in Australia?

XDragRacer screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 02:30 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:58 AM   #6020
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Googled "Harley Davidson CV40 Carburetor Vacuum Piston," and came up with a hit or two:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...IDSON+27585+88+

Buy the Kawasaki part if you like, but--please put your cursor on the link above and left-click, just to see what's available.

And, just wondering . . . no Harley dealers in Australia?
Yeah, there are Harley dealers here. Plenty of them but none open on Sundays. I might give them a try during the week to get a price though! I had a look at the link you sent. All great but none as cheap as $46 though. Still waiting for a postage quote. Shouldn't be too much as its a small part I hope!
Old 04-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #6021
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahCapt View Post
Loaded for a little trip to Cedar Key early morning of April 10.

[IMG] photo GEDC2374_zpsf5ce3988.jpg[/IMG]
Looks perfectly set up to me!
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #6022
airdale7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
KLR parts

Anyone have savage parts? I busted the right front shroud and the luggage rack. 2009 Klr 650

Every day is a new adventure!
airdale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #6023
derm75
I'm a brother shamus...

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Did you ask "Rich" what his reasons are for suggesting a different level?
Heard back from Rich last night. His response: "With the stiffer springs and lower oil level the fork action will be more linear and utilize the travel much better."

The customer service from Sonic Springs has been top notch. Super fast response to email even on the weekends. Can't wait to get the bike back together.
derm75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #6024
Yokomo
Gorilla Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechplease View Post
I think I might have posted this question up here a while back, but the "loose chain" diagnosis proved to be incorrect so....

(2011 with just over 12,500mi running Mobil 1 synthetic)

"Most" of the time when I'm upshifting...unless I pull in the clutch an obnoxiously long time before moving the shift lever, I feel a significant 'clunk' in the lever. It shifts into the next gear, but the clunk is annoying and it's got me wondering if something's gonna fail eventually.

This is present at all stages of 'immediately after' to 'needing it done' chain adjustment, so that's not it. It also does it with little-to-no slack in the clutch cable or with the cable on the 'loose' side. The bike runs fine otherwise.

Ideas?
I would highly advise you to get an extended length shifter. I don't know how exactly but it makes if feel much smoother when shifting.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:57 AM   #6025
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by derm75 View Post
Heard back from Rich last night. His response: "With the stiffer springs and lower oil level the fork action will be more linear and utilize the travel much better."

The customer service from Sonic Springs has been top notch. Super fast response to email even on the weekends. Can't wait to get the bike back together.
I guess the best way is to follow his advice and if it does not work out- you can always fix it.

When going to a CD Moab rear a few years ago I discussed alternate springs with them and the consensus was stick with stock - but clean the old oil out and fill with correct levels. I did and have been very happy with the results. That was 30K miles ago so it is time to do it again.

Proper maintenance and regular servicing of the suspension is a very overlooked and needed activity. It is amazing the amount of nasty stuff that comes out - and good the result is!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:08 AM   #6026
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,557
Quote:
I think I might have posted this question up here a while back, but the "loose chain" diagnosis proved to be incorrect so....

(2011 with just over 12,500mi running Mobil 1 synthetic)

"Most" of the time when I'm upshifting...unless I pull in the clutch an obnoxiously long time before moving the shift lever, I feel a significant 'clunk' in the lever. It shifts into the next gear, but the clunk is annoying and it's got me wondering if something's gonna fail eventually.

This is present at all stages of 'immediately after' to 'needing it done' chain adjustment, so that's not it. It also does it with little-to-no slack in the clutch cable or with the cable on the 'loose' side. The bike runs fine otherwise.

Ideas?
From your comments - you 'feel' the clunk in the lever. If that is correct then it is possible (if all is well in the motor) it is the way you are shifting or not shifting. I presume that the level is tight on the shaft - if so could be the boots you are wearing, how you sit on the bike resulting on incomplete shifting. Get someone else to ride the bike and see if they encounter that same.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 AM   #6027
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
All great but none as cheap as $46 though.
Not to enter a price war, but . . . $ 36.02? Clicking on an image from the link I posted previously:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KPSQWM/...SIN=B007KPSQWM

Again, your bike. A local Harley dealer with the part in hand would be worth a couple of $ AUS, to me! Good luck.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 06:32 AM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #6028
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,712
I have 2, 1990 and 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post

Dislikes: wish it had a 6 speed trans and a little better off road suspension from the factory, adequate but could be better. (I know, plenty of aftermarket support for this)

Likes: Large fuel capacity from factory, beefy subframe, ergonomics, all around versatile bike. Closest thing to a "do everything" bike I could find in factory set up.

Afew minor changes to both made them each a little better for their intended use. 1990 for dirt, 2009 for my commute.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:59 AM   #6029
Czechplease
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
From your comments - you 'feel' the clunk in the lever. If that is correct then it is possible (if all is well in the motor) it is the way you are shifting or not shifting. I presume that the level is tight on the shaft - if so could be the boots you are wearing, how you sit on the bike resulting on incomplete shifting. Get someone else to ride the bike and see if they encounter that same.
Interesting....the shift lever is tight, BUT....I did rotate it 'up' a spline or two on the shaft a while back and maybe I'm not getting a decisive motion when upshifting. I'll try concentrating on being 'deliberate' on every upshift and see if it helps/changes the issue.

I'm still curious to hear if anyone else has had this issue and what the cause turned out to be.
Czechplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #6030
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Interesting....the shift lever is tight, BUT....I did rotate it 'up' a spline or two on the shaft a while back and maybe I'm not getting a decisive motion when upshifting. I'll try concentrating on being 'deliberate' on every upshift and see if it helps/changes the issue.

I'm still curious to hear if anyone else has had this issue and what the cause turned out to be.
See your getting close to a solution,as far as the length of the shifter,my stock 1 just broke and I replaced it with a extended 1,having some health issues at the moment but Ill post here if it does seem like a improvement as far as how it feels might ride today,gonna weld the old 1 for a spare.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote