User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #6241
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,076
Homebrew windshield

My goal was to reduce the wind noise at highway cruising speed and provide a method to lower the windshield easily for dirt.

Scooter windshield w/mirror mount hdwe. $29.95 + shipping.

I have changed the black ball mount nuts in the pictures to nylock nuts to set/keep the correct tension on the windshield mounts. Kept loosing the expensive ball nuts. Found the tension of the plastic bracket was sufficient to hold the screen at any position. You just rock side to side and pull the screen up or down. Can be done while sitting in the saddle. Note the dash brackets which provide additional stability to the fairing/windshield.

Nylon spacers and shoulder washers from Ace Hdwe. I've put this combo through some long, rough trips of up to 1,300 mile - mostly rough back roads.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #6242
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Thanks for the info Wansfel,that's kinda what I am looking for,simple and reasonable,I commute,take trips and off road so this will be my next project.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #6243
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06ltd View Post

"I love beans"

Now that's good lookin KLR Any pics of the front? No airbox cover?

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #6244
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
I like beans also,and that is a good looking bike,always makes me wish I had got a plastic tank instead of the bars.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #6245
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Thank you, I like to pull the airbox cover off when I'm doing mostly road riding. Even with the L mod I "think" I feel a difference in power with it off, but the 705 moves a fair bit of air so there is probably a small gain. Here's a pic of the front.

06ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #6246
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Thank you, I like to pull the airbox cover off when I'm doing mostly road riding. Even with the L mod I "think" I feel a difference in power with it off, but the 705 moves a fair bit of air so there is probably a small gain. Here's a pic of the front.

How do you like the trailtech x2 headlight?

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #6247
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
How do you like the trailtech x2 headlight?
It's ok. I have the halogen model and the low beam is a little weak but the spot is nice and bright. I love the weight savings, though I may switch to a single round lamp in the future.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #6248
RandoCommando
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
"I love beans"

Now that's good lookin KLR Any pics of the front? No airbox cover?

He's trying to conserve weight!
MySPOT
RandoCommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #6249
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
It's ok. I have the halogen model and the low beam is a little weak but the spot is nice and bright. I love the weight savings, though I may switch to a single round lamp in the future.
yeah i didn't know what to do. I have an '08, and when I got it (used), an IMS tank was added, and all the fairings, headlight, dashboard etc. were removed, and I have a POS bajadesigns headlight/fairing combo that clamps to the forks. after one trip home in the dark, that thing has got to go. I'd love to be able to afford the trailtech big round headlight, but I'm a cheap SOB. maybe next year...we also have a strict inspection program in place, so if it's not marked DOT approved, no inspection sticker. I have the X2 halogen Dualsport kit on order, should be here by friday...should be leaps & bounds ahead of my current headlight. After looking at reviews on youtube etc, I'm thinking of rigging the X2 so that the two lights come on together on high beam...seems like high beam was a little weak.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #6250
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
yeah i didn't know what to do. I have an '08, and when I got it (used), an IMS tank was added, and all the fairings, headlight, dashboard etc. were removed, and I have a POS bajadesigns headlight/fairing combo that clamps to the forks. after one trip home in the dark, that thing has got to go. I'd love to be able to afford the trailtech big round headlight, but I'm a cheap SOB. maybe next year...we also have a strict inspection program in place, so if it's not marked DOT approved, no inspection sticker. I have the X2 halogen Dualsport kit on order, should be here by friday...should be leaps & bounds ahead of my current headlight. After looking at reviews on youtube etc, I'm thinking of rigging the X2 so that the two lights come on together on high beam...seems like high beam was a little weak.
Yeah I thought about that as well but I like having a good strong spot as the highbeam and am willing to sacrifice the low beam illumination. If I could find some inexpensive fog lights or something similar to augment the low I'd probably go that route.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #6251
06ltd
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandoCommando View Post
He's trying to conserve weight!

Every little bit counts (especially with those boat anchor panniers on the back)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #6252
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
A little bird told me they saw a technical drawing of a KLR900 someplace. They would not say what the engine configuration was.

That would be interesting. I am under the impression we are getting the Versys 1000 in the next year or two. A KLR900 would seem to have a lot of overlap with that bike.

Just sort of interesting to think about.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #6253
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
We've had the Versys 1000 in Canada for a year. It impresses me mainly as an upright-riding-position street bike. Fits me great but I don't think I'd take it very far in dodgy conditions...

MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #6254
KLRsys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post
A little bird told me they saw a technical drawing of a KLR900 someplace. They would not say what the engine configuration was.

That would be interesting. I am under the impression we are getting the Versys 1000 in the next year or two. A KLR900 would seem to have a lot of overlap with that bike.

Just sort of interesting to think about.
I couldn't wait...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #6255
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
My goal was to reduce the wind noise at highway cruising speed and provide a method to lower the windshield easily for dirt.

Scooter windshield w/mirror mount hdwe. $29.95 + shipping.

I have changed the black ball mount nuts in the pictures to nylock nuts to set/keep the correct tension on the windshield mounts. Kept loosing the expensive ball nuts. Found the tension of the plastic bracket was sufficient to hold the screen at any position. You just rock side to side and pull the screen up or down. Can be done while sitting in the saddle. Note the dash brackets which provide additional stability to the fairing/windshield.

Nylon spacers and shoulder washers from Ace Hdwe. I've put this combo through some long, rough trips of up to 1,300 mile - mostly rough back roads.
I spy a Sahara in the background..

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote