Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #6271
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
shouldn't the passenger have to fix this???
How big was she?
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #6272
adityab
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question New Rider

Hi brothers,
I have come to the US from India a year back where I used to ride a Royal Enfield (which was surprisingly capable of adventure riding). I am really excited to buy the KLR 650 (somewhere from the bay area, California). I was hoping for any tips that you might have as I will be buying a used motorcycle.

Which brands and types of tires are considered descent and which ones should I stay away from?

Also, my height is 5'10". Is KLR too tall for me?

Any other tips would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and Ride Safe!!

adityab screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 06:58 PM
adityab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:47 PM   #6273
OKlr
Youtube whore

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityab View Post
Hi brothers,
I have come to the US from India a year back where I used to ride a Royal Enfield (which was surprisingly capable of adventure riding). I am really excited to buy the KLR 650 (somewhere from the bay area, California). I was hoping for any tips that you might have as I will be buying a used motorcycle.

Which brands and types of tires are considered descent and which ones should I stay away from?

Thanks and Ride Safe!!

you will be fine. klr hasn't changed much in like 20 years so just buy the cheap one and put the mods on it you want.
OKlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:49 PM   #6274
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,730
^^^He is right.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 AM   #6275
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Hi brothers,

Thanks and Ride Safe!!
Welcome!

Tires? You will find all the advice you could ever wish for here - it is the interent after all! I all depends upon the kind of riding you will do. No one tire suits all conditions and riders.

I am 5'8" and have a Russel seat which is higher than stock, have a Moab rear shock which is weight rated and the pre-load set high and I manage.

Not for that part of the States - I am sure there are many CA based riders that will help you.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #6276
adityab
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the quick replies, guys..
I just want to make sure I have a good to go bike. I don't want to start off with investing my time and money on repairs. I would rather use that to ride..

Which tires are good for long distances (highways and mountain roads)? I love off-roading too, so I would prefer good all purpose tires too (if its not too much to ask for)..

Ride Safe!

adityab screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 06:04 AM
adityab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:44 AM   #6277
Motozark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies, guys..
I just want to make sure I have a good to go bike. I don't want to start off with investing my time and money on repairs. I would rather use that to ride..

Which tires are good for long distances (highways and mountain roads)? I love off-roading too, so I would prefer good all purpose tires too (if its not too much to ask for)..

Ride Safe!
I have been researching tire for a while for my 04 KLR and I think I am going to go with Shinko 705's. They get really good reviews and for the style riding I do, which is probably 75 street and 25 gravel, they should be great. You will like the KLR and as someone else said they havent changed much and parts are cheap for it. The only big changes came after 2008.
Motozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #6278
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
You can't just replace the bolt? If the rack broke and all the parts are there you could have someone weld it.
The rack is fine. The bolt just vibrated itself out while I was riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrider View Post
Take the bolt out of the same spot on the other side and see if it is the same length. Then just go to a bolt store and get the size you need.
I was going to do this, but when I emailed the guy at www.pmracks.com about my dilemma, he said give me your address and I'll send you a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
whoa, whoa whoa!!

come on now, this is a KLR! Just get a piece of all-thread rod and a nut...call 'er good.
haha I thought about. Wanted to see if I could get a bolt from the manufacturer first.
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #6279
MrGoldfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Whoa whoa whoa!
Coat hanger and duct tape is what's called for here.
I was thinking that this would be the way to go in a pinch. I'm hoping pmracks.com comes through and I can get a new bolt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
shouldn't the passenger have to fix this???
Given that the passenger is my wife and she wouldn't ever have a bike in the garage if it weren't for me, I'm going to have to fix it. I like how you think though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
How big was she?
Fortunately it wasn't my wife that "discovered" the missing bolt. It was my cousin's new husband that wanted to know what it was like to ride a bike. So, I'm thinking 200 lbs... on a KLR...
MrGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:18 AM   #6280
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,235
Anybody looking for a project KLR??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post21324708
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM   #6281
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Hey guys, how does this look?

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #6282
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
Interesting..... What is the cover made of? It looks like it would force you to sit back on the seat. I am a tank hugger so I don't think it would work for me. Sure is interesting though!!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #6283
astrolump
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
help me resurrect this 03 basket case

the other day, while on a ride down by the keys a fellow offered me a chance to buy a parts KLR. so long story short i came home with KLR# 3.....A $400 2003 basket case.

the po said it stopped running while his son was riding it, and a local mechanic told him it had low compression. so low it could not draw the fuel air charge from the carb into the cylinder to start.

so i came home and gave it a once over, cleaned the carb, new battery, turned the engine with a socket a few times to make sure the guts were intact, and, with full choke and a charger on the battery to get a fast crank she reluctantly fired up.

there was some coughing and backfiring and a lot of blue smoke for a few minuets.......but then she settled down and as long as i kept ther above 2krpm she ran ok. and no more smoke.

so the next evening i checked the compression...30psi i then put a bit of oil in the cylinder and took the spring off the KACR and got a reading of around 70psi and one even up around 90psi. i checked the valves and the clearance is good...no tight valves it seems. i ran some seafoam through the carb and put some in the oil as well after a few minuets running the seafoam the engine smoothed out real nice and would now idle around 1.5k rpm

so now today im back tinkering with her and here is where i need some advice.

she will still start with full choke and a booster on the weak battery. today she was smoking a bit when she got hot. she still wont run well below 2k rpm and i put the carb from my 04 on her today just to be sure it wasn't carb related...there was no change.

so im looking for advice on how to proceed. i would like to get the bike running...

current symptoms....

starts reluctantly after much cranking with full choke.

makes sounds like missing,and sputtering while cranking. sounds like bad timing but cams seemed correct when i checked the valves.

runs ok over 2k rpm is hard to get it to idle around 1500 rpmdies below 1300 rpm
engine revs fine but returns to idle very slowly
currently showing 70psi on compression tester with KACR spring OFF

when you rev the engine it takes a long time for the engine speed to come down..this could be because to get it to run i have the idle adjust screw cranked in.

smokes sometimes...blue smoke.other times not

so here is my question....does this sound like shot rings? or a valve issue?
i figure ill rebuild it eventually...prolly go 716 if the engine is otherwise sound....but maybe ive missed something simple here....

the fact that it got a little better the more it ran it makes me think maybe stuck ring? or carbon? that is probably wishful thinking though

there is a hole burned by the exhaust in the airbox downstream of the filter...lord only knows how much dust has been going straight to the engine....

alright gurus help me out what should i do nest...before ordering a piston

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:15 AM   #6284
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoldfish View Post
I was thinking that this would be the way to go in a pinch. I'm hoping pmracks.com comes through and I can get a new bolt.

Given that the passenger is my wife and she wouldn't ever have a bike in the garage if it weren't for me, I'm going to have to fix it. I like how you think though

Fortunately it wasn't my wife that "discovered" the missing bolt. It was my cousin's new husband that wanted to know what it was like to ride a bike. So, I'm thinking 200 lbs... on a KLR...
Uhh, wait...maybe I missed part of this convo, lol, but is 200 lbs a prohibitive load for this bike?? I weigh 220 and assume I will have 30-60 pds on it for a trip, surely this won't be an issue even for a low-powered bike like this? I've seen some chunky guys on these bikes on the internet, too. I was just about to go down to the Kawasaki place and do some serious kicking on a 2012... Maybe this is talking about a pillion load?
Old 05-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #6285
Stinky151
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
The KLR suspension is not the greatest by any means. It will haul you and your gear just fine (I am 220 and can carry about the same) but you need to upgrade a couple things. The main thing would be the subframe bolts. Get better ones, period. stock ones thens to break. Eagle mike has a couple options, and I would buy from anyone else. After that, look at options for suspension. It will be ok, but eventually your going to want better. Plenty of threads around here on that.

"If you're in control, you're not going fast enough." -- Parnelli Jones
Stinky151 is offline   Reply With Quote