Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #6406
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimak707 View Post
Well fellers I got my Moab shock in today. I went riding about 160 miles befor it came in. When I opened the box I about had a panic attack. The shock and spring weren't together. I thought I needed a spring compressor. Then I calmed down and realized you remove the spring retainer from the coil over, then put the spring on then apply pressure by hand and install the spring seat. No big deal. I the drove a whopping 5 miles home from the shop I installed it. The eibach spring is a 450lb/in spring. I need to put in more miles before I can report my thoughts.

Did you set the rebound and pre-load? CD are prone to setting the rebound a little agressive - nothing you cant set.

Once those are dialed in you will enjoy it, particularly in the rough stuff!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #6407
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Rod,

Why the hunt? Be daring!

Invest in a set of spanners, sockets and a manual - they will pay for themsleves the 1st time you use them. And you will have the satisfaction of a job done well. We all started somewhere. Plenty of advice here for all levels!

What do you say?
+1 !! You will be surprised after you complete a project how straight forward most of them are. You know the job actually gets done and gets done right, a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction AND you get to help others with your new found knowledge... It's a win, win, win, situation!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #6408
Gypsy II
NVR2OLD

Oddometer: 9
I can't say enough good things about my Cogent Dynamics Moab rear shock and new fork springs. Rick and his team really give personal service and produce a quality product. This mod has had a huge effect on my bike's handling characteristics. I strongly suggest that one disassembles the entire swing arm assembly, the pivot, link bars and thru bolts whenever working on or replacing a shock. The bearings, bolts, sleeves..... Should all be lubed using 60% molybdenum disulfide grease. This is about as waterproof as one can get and will save lots of headaches down the road such as a seized pivot bolt through the engine.
Gypsy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #6409
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 984
+1 on Cogent Dynamics

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #6410
Argus16
ThReAd KiLleR

Oddometer: 538
Had my inaugral ride today on the Progressive 465 and front springs, did the seals and 10wt. fork oil, and a new set of Gaffer greens. Wow...
Will hit some whoops, single track and every pot hole I can find tomorrow to set it up abit better. The first thing I noticed however was the braking. Shoulda done this years ago.
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:16 AM   #6411
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Rod,

Why the hunt? Be daring!

Invest in a set of spanners, sockets and a manual - they will pay for themsleves the 1st time you use them. And you will have the satisfaction of a job done well. We all started somewhere. Plenty of advice here for all levels!

What do you say?
I agree totally. Got most of the tools and the manual and I intend doing most things myself with the help of all you gurus on here. I just don't want to do it while the KLR is still under warranty. After that I'll be living in my garage!
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #6412
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
+1 !! You will be surprised after you complete a project how straight forward most of them are. You know the job actually gets done and gets done right, a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction AND you get to help others with your new found knowledge... It's a win, win, win, situation!!!
No argument there. Just want a decent mechanic to service her while she is still under warranty!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:24 AM   #6413
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmuzwa View Post
No argument there. Just want a decent mechanic to service her while she is still under warranty!
Dont know what the Aussie laws are - but here in the US dealers dont have to do the work as long as we have paperwork to show what was done.

Here in the States, a large portion of the dealers techs are toothless wonders on minimum wage led by equally incompetant supervisors. There are a few that know their stuff - really hard to find though
Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #6414
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy II View Post
I can't say enough good things about my Cogent Dynamics Moab rear shock and new fork springs. Rick and his team really give personal service and produce a quality product. This mod has had a huge effect on my bike's handling characteristics. I strongly suggest that one disassembles the entire swing arm assembly, the pivot, link bars and thru bolts whenever working on or replacing a shock. The bearings, bolts, sleeves..... Should all be lubed using 60% molybdenum disulfide grease. This is about as waterproof as one can get and will save lots of headaches down the road such as a seized pivot bolt through the engine.
My Moab has been through its suggested service at which time they upgraded it to improved parts too. I have 40K miles on it. One of the best mods by far.

There are several myths regarding the swing arm assembly. Contrary to popular belief, and accusations that KAWA dont apply enough grease there, bearing lubrication where the assembly is packed full of grease is not the best. All that is needed is a covering. In the case of wheel and motor bearings, fully grease packed bearings are subject to overheating and failure as the heat does not dissapate.

What is important is to coat the pivot bearing with grease. Then seal the holes ( I use the aluminum duct tape) in the frame that allow the water to come in there. This is what most dont do.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 AM   #6415
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 2,022
Quote:
My Moab has been through its suggested service at which time they upgraded it to improved parts too. I have 40K miles on it. One of the best mods by far.

There are several myths regarding the swing arm assembly. Contrary to popular belief, and accusations that KAWA dont apply enough grease there, bearing lubrication where the assembly is packed full of grease is not the best. All that is needed is a covering. In the case of wheel and motor bearings, fully grease packed bearings are subject to overheating and failure as the heat does not dissapate.

What is important is to coat the pivot bearing with grease. Then seal the holes ( I use the aluminum duct tape) in the frame that allow the water to come in there. This is what most dont do.
Good info on this area of the bike,thanks
Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #6416
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 6,545
Quote:
Dont know what the Aussie laws are - but here in the US dealers dont have to do the work as long as we have paperwork to show what was done.

Here in the States, a large portion of the dealers techs are toothless wonders on minimum wage led by equally incompetant supervisors. There are a few that know their stuff - really hard to find though
* incompetent
Old 05-09-2013, 11:48 AM   #6417
Tommyg2bad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
* incompetent
Here's how the conversation went the only time I've taken my bike to a dealer for a blown fork seal right before a trip.
Me: Wait, it says here you changed the oil and charged me $120.
Him: Yes
Me: But I didn't ask for a change, I just changed it with really expensive oil
Him: Well it was black
Me: And it will be black again before I get down the block, and I didn't want it.
Him: Sorry about that.
Me: I'm not paying for it.
Him: If you don't the tech will have to.
Me: Sorry about that.

I decided then I better learn how to work on my own bike.
Tommyg2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM   #6418
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg2bad View Post
Here's how the conversation went the only time I've taken my bike to a dealer for a blown fork seal right before a trip.
Me: Wait, it says here you changed the oil and charged me $120.
Him: Yes
Me: But I didn't ask for a change, I just changed it with really expensive oil
Him: Well it was black
Me: And it will be black again before I get down the block, and I didn't want it.
Him: Sorry about that.
Me: I'm not paying for it.
Him: If you don't the tech will have to.
Me: Sorry about that.

I decided then I better learn how to work on my own bike.
Happens more than it should. I hope the tech learned his lesson, but I am sure he didn't.
bdcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #6419
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

And the fucked up thing is the ones who do know their shit won't get the job because the supervisor does not want someone who is competent working for them, leaving the supervisor incompetent.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:10 PM   #6420
bdcorrigan
Studly Adventurer

Motor mount bolts

All I can find is grade 5 bolts for the front motor mount. Does anybody know what is stock? The reason is I am replacing the bolts with longer ones when I mount my custom crash guards.