Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 07:22 AM   #6436
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat View Post
I don't know about your experience but I've been a "tech" for 27 years and still have all my own teeth. The dealerships are setup so the tech gets paid best commission when he/she is fast, not thorough. They also can't make the tech pay for the repair if you don't. That's just a guilt trip, although many "techs" believe it, too. The experienced mechanics go to the Indy shops or out on their own. But I've never met any mechanic who intentionally sent out bad work. They have to do what the service writer tells them to do. Its not easy keeping up to date on every make and model change, let alone the typical problems associated with a certain model. Anyway, its not any easy job for someone with less than five years experience. Hopefully nobody is calling you names because they had a bad experience with your line of work.

Sent from my Nexus 7
You make excellent points, and as I conceeded in my initial comments, there are techs who are good. When I say good, those who are not just 'part replacement jockeys' (and their handlers) but who are able to determine why things have failed and then properly correct the cause.

Possibly equally frustrating is dealing with dealers who believe that you too are as ignorant as they are and expect you to pay them for their ignorance! That is the problem with ignorance, is you, me, they, dont know we are...!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #6437
MotoChris521
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg2bad View Post
Here's how the conversation went the only time I've taken my bike to a dealer for a blown fork seal right before a trip.
Me: Wait, it says here you changed the oil and charged me $120.
Him: Yes
Me: But I didn't ask for a change, I just changed it with really expensive oil
Him: Well it was black
Me: And it will be black again before I get down the block, and I didn't want it.
Him: Sorry about that.
Me: I'm not paying for it.
Him: If you don't the tech will have to.
Me: Sorry about that.

I decided then I better learn how to work on my own bike.
Wait ? He changed the fork oil or engine oil ???
Old 05-10-2013, 07:28 AM   #6438
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,846
The Mechanic at the place where I buy my tires always gives me a funny look when I bring my used tire in to get rid of it,he always says that tire is to worn to mount and when I tell him I mounted the new 1 and just need to dump this 1,he is just astounded that a Muggle did his own tires.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #6439
kwoody101
Every day adventurer

Oddometer: 21
dealer changing the oil

If the tech replaced the fork seal he had to clean the fork tubes.replace seals.and add the right amount and grade of fork oil.If not your front end would be a pogo stick.
This is how I do it......works for me......service guy should have explain that to you......just saying
kwoody101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 AM   #6440
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Doo Hickey

Hey guys,

I have been riding for some time and heard about the doo hickey for the time a couple months ago, how do i know when it's time to change it on the KLR...? Is there a certain mileage it should be done at or is it just something we gotta do when it fails...?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 AM   #6441
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Hey guys,

I have been riding for some time and heard about the doo hickey for the time a couple months ago, how do i know when it's time to change it on the KLR...? Is there a certain mileage it should be done at or is it just something we gotta do when it fails...?
It needs to be done BEFORE it fails. Catastrophic failure could take out the balancer system and lead to a bunch of parts bouncing around loose, even locking the motor up.

I've not heard of many people having such failures before 10,000 miles, and it doesn't generally lead to engine self-destruction, but it ain't pretty when it happens. I did mine at 14,000 when I bought the bike, and my spring was in 3 pieces, and the lever was in 2 pieces.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #6442
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
Hey guys,

Hey, y0y02369; is this a RIB?

Your profile lists a current Vulcan, and a used-to-be KLR650.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #6443
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
It needs to be done BEFORE it fails. Catastrophic failure could take out the balancer system and lead to a bunch of parts bouncing around loose, even locking the motor up.

I've not heard of many people having such failures before 10,000 miles, and it doesn't generally lead to engine self-destruction, but it ain't pretty when it happens. I did mine at 14,000 when I bought the bike, and my spring was in 3 pieces, and the lever was in 2 pieces.
Ok thanks! is the job a pain in the ass to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Hey, y0y02369; is this a RIB?

Your profile lists a current Vulcan, and a used-to-be KLR650.

what's RIB??
and yes i do own a vulcan, but i realised i hate cruisers so i am selling it and in the progress of getting another KLR, it was a fun, cheap to fix and maintain bike, and perfect for my tall, skinny ass! Makes sense?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #6444
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Ok thanks! is the job a pain in the ass to do?
No, not too bad. Costs about $50 and requires 2 tools that are probably not in your toolbox, but only takes a few hours, and is a good way to get to know the bike a little better.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #6445
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
And there's probably someone in your area that has already done the job and has the tools on hand.
MacNoob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #6446
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,047
I'm in Redding. If ya need the tools and no one closer offers I can ship mine to you and just return them when you are done. Just shipping both ways...
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #6447
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,846
The 2 tools that relate directly to the job are basic but nessasary,everything else is just basic metric stuff you probably have.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #6448
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
So I was tooling around today and at about 208mi on the tripmeter, the bike starts sputtering. I figured it was time to switch to reserve which I did but the bike still died. Weird. Looked in the tank, couldn't tell if any gas in there so I used my emergency bottle with I think a liter of fuel to get me to a gas station. When I filled up, I put in 4.6 gallons. Its never done anything like this before. Its never run out of gas without needing to go to reserve first. Very odd
Old 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #6449
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,296
Ah,,,you need to know about the KLR secret fuel reserve!

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #6450
SteelB12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Ah,,,you need to know about the KLR secret fuel reserve!

Fido

It never went to the point that I needed to do that. That's whats weird. If I had put it on reserve and then ran out of gas, I would understand this happening. It dying BEFORE I went to reserve is what I can't figure out. I haven't had a problem with this bike in 3 years.