ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #6451
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 676
Well no dice on the bike. The guy wouldn't budge on his 1800$ asking price. It would've been nice if he would have said "firm price" in his add or when I mentioned I had a cash offer in hand to bring up he would've stated his lack of desire to take less than his asking price. Oh well, I am taking my motorcycle safety course this Monday/Tuesday and will keep looking.
__________________
2000 Yamaha TTR-225
2008 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit
2011 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 PM   #6452
crumvoc
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Boise, ID
Oddometer: 21
I'm afraid of getting kicked out of the club... my neighbor shamed me into washing and WAXING my KLR. The horror!

I read somewhere that you might be a KLR owner if...
You think you think you once washed your KLR, but are not sure...
crumvoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #6453
misterjack
Universal
 
misterjack's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Oddometer: 50
Where is the best place or places to buy an entire kit for the doo hickey upgrade -Tools and parts both. Doesn't need to be an all in one kit but I need to obtain all of the parts necessary as I currently have none of them. Thanks
__________________
tire tracks on the moon....
misterjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 PM   #6454
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjack View Post
Where is the best place or places to buy an entire kit for the doo hickey upgrade -Tools and parts both. Doesn't need to be an all in one kit but I need to obtain all of the parts necessary as I currently have none of them. Thanks
Eagle mike manufacturing.
__________________
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #6455
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Well no dice on the bike. The guy wouldn't budge on his 1800$ asking price. It would've been nice if he would have said "firm price" in his add or when I mentioned I had a cash offer in hand to bring up he would've stated his lack of desire to take less than his asking price. Oh well, I am taking my motorcycle safety course this Monday/Tuesday and will keep looking.
Buy it for $1,800. It's still a fair deal. I haven't seen a clean one in ft. Collins for less.
__________________
COHVCO #7369

Dusty_Bottoms screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:14 PM
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #6456
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Buy it for $1,800. It's still a fair deal. I haven't seen a clean one in ft. Collins for less.
If I would have had the money on me I would have, but I didn't. I agree its a fair deal on the bike, although it does peeve me he wouldn't come down at all. He didn't even counter with a lower amount. If you're that firm on your price fine, but let a person know before they drive an hour north. I'm going back up to FoCo on Monday and Tuesday for my Moto Safety. I figure I'll hit him up on Tuesday after I get my license taken care of and see if he is willing to come down at all, now just as a matter of principle.

I also found this one, emailed him and he said if I make the drive up there he'd let it go for 1800$. Its older but has less miles and the guy has owned it since it was 3 years old. It also comes with lots of farkles.

http://cosprings.craigslist.org/mcy/3672913686.html

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:27 PM
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 AM   #6457
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 595
I gotcha. My opinion is the ft. Collins bike looks cleaner. And better cared for since its not all sun faded. Looks like it was stored inside and is generally less ugly. Crestone is quite the haul. Thats $100 in gas just to go look at it. Either will make you grin though. Good luck.
__________________
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 AM   #6458
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumvoc View Post
I'm afraid of getting kicked out of the club... my neighbor shamed me into washing and WAXING my KLR. The horror!

I read somewhere that you might be a KLR owner if...
You think you think you once washed your KLR, but are not sure...
Nah! You are safe! Those who dont clean their KLR's could just be posers who want everyone to think they really ride, or are just lazy in their PM!

All brands of bikes have some sub-cultures, tassels from the handle bars like my daughters at 4 had on their Barbie bikes (and protect their heads with DOT doo rags and legs with leather chaps - which is more important?), teddybears on the rear trunk of others (and color co-ordinated helmets), BMW's with a pompous attitude ( I know I have met them and also ride a BMW) etc...

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 06:09 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #6459
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Eagle mike manufacturing.
Or his products that are sold by the likes of Rocky Mtn ATV, Procycle and others. Beware there are copies - make sure they are EMike's and you know you are getting the best quality!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #6460
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
I gotcha. My opinion is the ft. Collins bike looks cleaner. And better cared for since its not all sun faded. Looks like it was stored inside and is generally less ugly. Crestone is quite the haul. Thats $100 in gas just to go look at it. Either will make you grin though. Good luck.

Its not sun faded because he rattle canned the tank, fairing, and rear plastics. I think the shrouds are new replacements as is the aftermarket front fender. The factory front fender is actually team green. He said the guy he got it from had painted it all weird like so he spent his time trying to get it looking more stock. Don't get me wrong, it ran good and the only goofy thing my buddy noticed is the clutch engages way late. It doesn't slip or anything, just engages late in the throw of the lever. Could be a simple adjustment. Overall I really liked the bike and was kind of depressed on the drive home after him not taking the offer.

Yeah, Crestone is a 4+ hour drive away so that's an issue. Still, it would be fitting of the type of bike to ride it back the 4+ hours. Not sure if the few extras are worth it though.

I'm still mulling it all over and weighing my options. After this weekend my Cherokee will be up and driving again (as long as I don't waste too much time on here looking at ride reports ) and I'll be able to put my car up for sale. That was the original plan for getting the bike. Sale the car somewhat cheap at 4K$ firm and go find an 08+ or really farkled out and clean older one. My thing is I'm impatient and I also have plans to ride down to Grand Junction towards the end of June and want to have time to get some miles under my belt before hand.
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #6461
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rodmuzwa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: Pinjarra, WA
Oddometer: 172
Well having bit the bullet and taken the advice of some of the Gurus on here I decided to change the carb slide myself and save some hard earned cash rather than send Big K to the dealer. It was remarkably straight forward:



The seat and plastic came off easily. Next it was the fuel tank and Big K was embarrassingly naked:



The Aussie restricted carb slide. Note the holes in the top:



Anyway, new Harley Davidson model slide in, and it was all about putting Big K back together. It was all fairly straight forward. Didn't even need to remove the carb, but strangely the nightmare I had was putting that damn left hand plastic cowling back on. What a nightmare that was. Took me longer than doing the carb! Needed to get Mrs Muz to help but I got it back on finally and Big K seems to run fine.



Saved myself a lot of cash, I think. Thanks to all you guys who encouraged me to do the job myself and no thanks to Mr Kawasaki who made that left hand cowling such a nightmare!
__________________
Living the dream, everyday!
rodmuzwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #6462
WildmanSam
Adventurer
 
WildmanSam's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by crumvoc View Post
I'm afraid of getting kicked out of the club... my neighbor shamed me into washing and WAXING my KLR. The horror!

I read somewhere that you might be a KLR owner if...
You think you think you once washed your KLR, but are not sure...





WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #6463
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Oddometer: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
If I would have had the money on me I would have, but I didn't. I agree its a fair deal on the bike, although it does peeve me he wouldn't come down at all. He didn't even counter with a lower amount. If you're that firm on your price fine, but let a person know before they drive an hour north. I'm going back up to FoCo on Monday and Tuesday for my Moto Safety. I figure I'll hit him up on Tuesday after I get my license taken care of and see if he is willing to come down at all, now just as a matter of principle.
What, "principle," exactly, DutchVDub?

Every seller must haggle/negotiate?

Do you argue at the Post Office over the price of postage stamps? Demand a discount?

No value judgment, I'm just unaware of the ethical basis for your grievance. Man represented the product fairly, and offered it for the advertised price.

The seller's no mind-reader; and--he made no agreement to fulfill your bargaining expectations in advance, did he?

If haggling's more important than getting a bike you want at a fair price, your call. Here's hoping you find a bike you like at the price you're willing to pay.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #6464
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2013
Location: Firestone, CO
Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
What, "principle," exactly, DutchVDub?

Every seller must haggle/negotiate?

Do you argue at the Post Office over the price of postage stamps? Demand a discount?

No value judgment, I'm just unaware of the ethical basis for your grievance. Man represented the product fairly, and offered it for the advertised price.

The seller's no mind-reader; and--he made no agreement to fulfill your bargaining expectations in advance, did he?

If haggling's more important than getting a bike you want at a fair price, your call. Here's hoping you find a bike you like at the price you're willing to pay.
Well in the end I'm heading up there now to get the bike for 1700$

No, the big thing for me is if you're so firm on your price that somebody waving a cash offer in your face for over 80% of your asking price that you'll tell them "No thanks, I'd rather have the full price" instead of countering with a different option then you should list it the price as firm in your post. That's all. I generally list things I sell for more than my bottom dollar knowing people are going to offer less. If I set the price at my absolute bottom then I'll make sure to say the price is firm in my posting. Maybe I'm odd that way, I don't know. To me Craigslist is like a big online garage sale or flea market, basically an open bazaar where haggling and bartering is to be both expected and encouraged. The "principle" is my own, not anything ethically wrong with how he conducted himself.

Oh, and the Post Office comparison isn't really fitting. We'll say stores in general. A store sells new products at an established price, not used products at a perceived price/value. However, when you go in there to ship something do you not compare the different options (Express, Insurance, Overnight, Etc) to get the best deal for what you need/want?

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 11:58 AM
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6465
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire
 
Dusty_Bottoms's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Oddometer: 595
Glad to hear you're getting the bike Dutch.
__________________
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014