Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #6466
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,703
Dutch you gotcha a good deal,have fun and wash it once in a while but ride it often.no battery tenders only miles and gas burnt to keep the battery up.I do wash mine before I do an oil change so I can find the bits and pieces I Need to touch to make the oil fall out and keep too much crap from getting on the filter and going in with the new oil.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:26 PM   #6467
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Thanks guys, I'm excited. I already own some of the large ammo cans that a lot of people make panniers out of so once I can get the mounting frames I'll be doing that.

Crappy cell phone pic w/ my son. Its at my buddy's house in Loveland until I finish the Moto Safety course and get my license on Tuesday.

DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:34 PM   #6468
8lives
Runnin on wonder

I'll have had mine for a year come June and have put 10000 miles on it so far,no regrets,you will have a good time with it Dutch,if someone hasn't said so yet check the oil often and keep it full,it's about the only thing that can quickly ruin a KLR,other wise a new obsession is now in your life!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:39 PM   #6469
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

So I decided to ride it home tonight once the weather cleared up. Things went great. One of my neighbors gave me his small magnetic tank bag he had left over from a previous bike, then another neighbor "sold" me an rather nice Icon black mesh riding jacket w/ removable liner and elbow/shoulder/back armor. Cost to me? 40$ and some welding work on his old 70's Harley project.

I got up to Loveland and got the bike out of my friend's garage while it was still sunny and rode the bike over to Old Chicago right off the interstate. Had a cup of coffee while my buddy was eating dinner and drinking a beer, thanked him for storing the bike for me (even though the original 3 days turn into 3 hours) and chit chatted for a bit. Then I took the Frontage Road and County Roads back to my house. My wife followed me in the Sportage nervous and annoyed.

The bike rode great, the Michelin T63's didn't seem to vibrate or act weird cornering. Overall it was a blast. Question though, is 3800rpm at an indicated 55mph sound right? Haven't counted teeth on them yet and am curious if they're stock or not.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty sure I won't be lowering it. I can toe it fine and if I keep my left foot on the peg can very easily lean it just a little and flat foot on my right.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:56 PM   #6470
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
No, not too bad. Costs about $50 and requires 2 tools that are probably not in your toolbox, but only takes a few hours, and is a good way to get to know the bike a little better.
I usually like letting mechanics or others work on my bike anyway... something i think i know more about the bikes than they do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
I'm in Redding. If ya need the tools and no one closer offers I can ship mine to you and just return them when you are done. Just shipping both ways...
Oh wow awesome thanks! I am still in the market for my KLR but I will PM you when i get one, at the price range i am looking at the doohickey won't be done...

Thanks to the other fellas who helped with my question!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 PM   #6471
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Guy is a $3850 for a 2007 KLR650 with 7k miles on it... The bike needs brake pads, oil change, and new tires, probably gonna do all the fluids too. The oil through the viewglass is pitch black, which kind of worries me...

What do you guys think is a good price? I am thinking under $3000 just because of the maintenance needed...
Old 05-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #6472
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Around here (Colorado) 3500-4500 buys you a nice 08+, many cases with luggage and other goodies. This based on my nearly month long search on Craigslist before finally deciding to go after the cheapest KLR I could find. I picked up mine for 1700$, its a 98 with 20,000 miles on it but runs like a champ. I just had it going over 70mph with no issues.

I do want to do the t-bob though. I had it idling for a bit and the temp gauge was right in the middle and staid there. As soon as I started going down the road it was barely registering. I prefer my engines to sit and stay at operating temp, a cold engine is a less efficient engine.

Another question, has anybody done anything to help keep the wind off your legs while riding? I know you can extend the windshield or do the wheatwhacker mod to keep the wind off your chest and helmet. What about helping keep the wind off your legs? Just curious really.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #6473
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Guy is a $3850 for a 2007 KLR650 with 7k miles on it... The bike needs brake pads, oil change, and new tires, probably gonna do all the fluids too. The oil through the viewglass is pitch black, which kind of worries me...

What do you guys think is a good price? I am thinking under $3000 just because of the maintenance needed...
Bought a 04 KLR for 2700 and a 07 for 2400 in so cal. 3850 is a bit high.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #6474
Argus16
Fake n00b

Oddometer: 419
Quote:

Don't worry about the oil 'color'... mine turns dark after an afternoons' ride.
Not sure why... lots of posts by inmates saying the same thing.

The pads are prolly original (rear for sure... they last way longer). Tires are tires... you'll go thru 1 front and 2 rears every year if you ride alot.

Brake fluid, rad flush, fork oil/seal change, re-torque fasteners, doohickey... good to go!
Argus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #6475
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaMud View Post
Bought a 04 KLR for 2700 and a 07 for 2400 in so cal. 3850 is a bit high.
Yeah that was more around what i was thinking too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyBoy View Post
Don't worry about the oil 'color'... mine turns dark after an afternoons' ride.
Not sure why... lots of posts by inmates saying the same thing.

The pads are prolly original (rear for sure... they last way longer). Tires are tires... you'll go thru 1 front and 2 rears every year if you ride alot.

Brake fluid, rad flush, fork oil/seal change, re-torque fasteners, doohickey... good to go!

Every year?! You must break a lot with the brakes! On my past KLR i changed the front once in two years! I always use engine breaking and have rarely been off road, so that might have play in it...

But i agree with all the rest! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #6476
East Coast Rider
Just Me...

Oddometer: 3,821
I think he means you'll go thru two rear tires and a front tire in a year if you ride a lot
Me: Give 'em hell, little Bro!
Dan: Roger that.
East Coast Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #6477
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Around here (Colorado) 3500-4500 buys you a nice 08+, many cases with luggage and other goodies. This based on my nearly month long search on Craigslist before finally deciding to go after the cheapest KLR I could find. I picked up mine for 1700$, its a 98 with 20,000 miles on it but runs like a champ. I just had it going over 70mph with no issues.

I do want to do the t-bob though. I had it idling for a bit and the temp gauge was right in the middle and staid there. As soon as I started going down the road it was barely registering. I prefer my engines to sit and stay at operating temp, a cold engine is a less efficient engine.

Another question, has anybody done anything to help keep the wind off your legs while riding? I know you can extend the windshield or do the wheatwhacker mod to keep the wind off your chest and helmet. What about helping keep the wind off your legs? Just curious really.
I have a 2005 and put the happy trails crash bars on with the stupidly overpriced bags that Velcro on. When the bags are full it actually makes a pretty big difference in leg wind. I have some plexiglass here from another project, i've been thinking about doing some experimental mounting on the bars to see what happens. The klr is my commuter since the fjr forks are leaking, and cold mornings are cold. Still wont be as good as the fjr fairings though, and the 1300cc heater that's under them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #6478
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Black oil is not a bad sign,like said that happens fast,the fact that you can see the black oil is what's important.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #6479
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 968
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I have an older set of saddle bags I hang over the tank. Works as good fairings for the legs plus lots of extra storage. Doesn't interfere with turning etc.

Wansfel screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 06:21 AM
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:12 AM   #6480
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Quote:

Hey if you are using Craigslist look out of your area,Sacramento,Redding,etc,that's kinda high even for around the Bay Area,contact the guy and let the bike "simmer " a bit.Im kinda out of commission at the moment and spend way to much time scouring Craigslist and been finding some decent stuff,TV sucks so I surf the net.