Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #6571
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenveins View Post
Thanks, like the idea of the bags keeping a little wind off, balancing the weight and extra storage. Going to look check these out later on down the road.
I agree, I want to get them too. Only down side is they're for the Paris-Dakar crash bars only and those run ok most 300$.

I still plan in getting some, but I orders rear pannier mounts instead.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #6572
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
suspension

Just talked to cogent and wanted to say "wow" what great people to deal with. I went with the Moab Adventure rear (which as I just found out can be changed to the full moab at any time) front fork springs and emulators

pappionabike screwed with this post 05-14-2013 at 12:00 PM
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #6573
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by redog1 View Post
You rode home got your cage and a tow strap and pulled that heavy pig back up to the road.
That might have been an option but I don't think a truck will make it up that road in a lot of places. we had no equipment of any sort and we struggled for half an hour in that loose, shale soil and never even got the bike upright, it was pivoting on that tree and everytime we got it close to away from the tree it wanted to slide further down the hill. We were tired, sweaty and I was minutes from telling Casey we had to leave her here until tomorrow when we could bring up a block and tackle.... but. since footing was so shitty I made a little landing for me to stand on to get a better grip and leverage on the bike, Casey did the same and we almost got it rubber side down. Almost. we decided to dig a large level clearing under the bike and finally got it stood up. Whew! But we were still 20ft from the road. Heck, we built a platform for the bike, why don't we build our own road! We worked for another hour or so, digging with pieces of shale (worked pretty good!) and dug a 8in. trail at an angle in front of the bike.... This was do or die. If this didn't work I was done.
We talked about the logistics and decided Casey would stand on the uphill side of the bike and clutch it up the trail as I was on the downhill side of the bike keeping the bike upright and the power on the narrow traction path. Right at the point the front tire approached the road I slipped, the bike slipped and I just said "pin it!". The bike lurched over the brim... Right on! After a bit of happy dance we continued on our way with no more incidence.
We headed back to town to my favorite watering hole and bragged about our adventure and ingenuity...

The dreaded tree. Without it though I am sure the bike (and Casey) would have been much further down the hill...

Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #6574
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Thanks for the ending!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #6575
samkat
Zoloft warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
Just talked to cogent and wanted to say "wow" what great people to deal with. I went with the Moab Adventure rear (which as I just found out can be changed to the full moab at any time) front fork springs and emulators
How do you change them to full moab? And does that come with the lifetime warranty when its done?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 05-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #6576
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Where can I order a front brake caliper rebuild kit?

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #6577
pappionabike
Adventurer

When you send your Moab in to get serviced they can update so that you can adjust the dampening. They're going to set it up for my weight with recommended setting. I didn't ask about the warranty but good point.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #6578
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
klr top box??

I want to get a top box for my new KLR for an up coming trip, I was thinking a pelican case, but whats the biggest pelican case I can put back there without it being ridiculous???
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:09 PM   #6579
pappionabike
Adventurer

are you stuck on a top box?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #6580
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
On the Wheat Whacker mod, what angle do you guys set the windshield at? How big of a gap at the back of the cut?
DutchVDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #6581
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,160
Any mods/tips/tricks to make my KLR run cooler? Nearly touching the red mark by the time I get home in this heat...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #6582
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
block off the gap between your rad and shroud to force more air through the radiator. Plumbing pipe insulation works well, just wedge it in there, it wont come out..... Distilled water only with Water Wetter and some rust/corrosion additive. Cools better than a 50/50 mix.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #6583
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Any mods/tips/tricks to make my KLR run cooler? Nearly touching the red mark by the time I get home in this heat...
Make sure your radiator is BURPED (radiator cap OFF, run engine 'til coolant circulates, expelling air pockets and bubbles, top off radiator and set reservoir level with coolant).

If fan cycles, radiator cap pressurizes to spec (13.5-17.8 psi), coolant does not boil, and red zone of temperature gauge is avoided, fear not.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #6584
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
are you stuck on a top box?

Not at all, I', going to be living out of the bike for about a month, I was just going to use my cortech saddle bag and tail bag combo that has worked well on my fz1. The top box seemed a little more secure and would keep everything dryer.
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:20 AM   #6585
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 17,090
This trouble maker showed up in my garage yesterday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2