Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #6601
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Also, What size PVC tubing do you guys normally use?

Thanks 8-lives.
DutchVDub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #6602
tigagreen
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I'll re-ask the above and follow up with another question.

What primary tools/items do you keep in your tool tubes? I want to put one together and would like an idea of what it should have.

I'm not using a tool tube, but utilizing my side cases:

First aid kit
12v compressor
tire repair kit
tire irons(3)
Some Paper towels/rags
tow rope
Jumper Cables (simple w/ alligator clips)
Tie wraps
duct tape
safety wire (about 4 ft. rolled up)
Bunge cords
Map
Aspirin
Rescue tape
Velcro straps
Larger puck for side stand
Tire gauge

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Edit: two bottles of water, the small things

tigagreen screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 05:43 PM
tigagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #6603
samkat
Zoloft warrior

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
The damping valving and valving control has to be changed from a fixed setting/apature to the parts that make it adjustable. Does adjustable damping make a difference? I have already commented before.

Lifetime warranty? I dont believe that is offerred. CD suggest the unit be returned to them every 17-20k miles for servicing. Bladder, seals and cylinder wear and the oil deteriorates. They also upgrade the unit to their latest revision. The design, materials, coatings used are state of the art and constantly being revised and improved. This is what you pay for. Does this make a difference - you bet!

Stock shocks are usually made with minumum quality and basic design. Stiction is high, the gas and oil are not separated and the valving is basic. They actually wear and deteriorate quicker than the higher quality units. So while adding a spring rated for you is an improvement over the stock shock, your damping is not upgraded.
On their site they state that the adventure version doesn't have adjustable damping, and also doesn't have a lifetime warranty, so I assumed that meant the other one does have a lifetime warranty. Quote from their site...
" Now available is the "Moab Adventure" shock, a lower cost option that shares all the quality and performance of the famous Moab shock but with out the damping adjuster or the lifetime warrentee."

I'm going to buy one, I only have enough $ to get the adventure right now.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 PM   #6604
y0y02369
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
For those of you with the newer models of the KLRs, how does it compare to the older models (before 2007) on freeway? Does the fenders help at all?
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #6605
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 600
Quote:

What primary tools/items do you keep in your tool tubes? I want to put one together and would like an idea of what it should have.
Hey Dutch
Take a look over on that other forum site and you'll find a couple hundred posts about the WheatWhacker. My spacing is 2" at the rear.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #6606
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:

4" tube rubber caps with hose clamps about 18" long
2 shop towels to stop rattle and have clean place to put parts on road.

tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 PM   #6607
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRooster View Post
That looks like about the right size. They are less expensive than I thought a new 1500 series is a hundred bucks.

http://www.pelican-case.com/1500nf-yellow.html

even comes in pretty colors.

A top box seems less convenient than a good tail/saddle bag combo. I always liked my cortechs because I could unsnap them from the bike with four plastic buckles and carry them into a hotel room in no time flat. The top box doesnt come off. Anyone fabed up a quick release bracket for them yet??

Are there any issues with the rack breaking before the pelican in a crash????

a friend of mine recommended seahorse cases. Looks like half the price of pelican, anyone ever use them?

http://seahorsecases.com/Merchant2/m..._Code=SE_CASES
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #6608
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigagreen View Post
I'm not using a tool tube, but utilizing my side cases:

First aid kit
12v compressor
tire repair kit
tire irons(3)
Some Paper towels/rags
tow rope
Jumper Cables (simple w/ alligator clips)
Tie wraps
duct tape
safety wire (about 4 ft. rolled up)
Bunge cords
Map
Aspirin
Rescue tape
Velcro straps
Larger puck for side stand
Tire gauge

I'm sure I'm missing something...

Edit: two bottles of water, the small things
I have changed and now carry many of the same items. Must be the KLR influence. Back in my Ducati Superbike days I carried a bottle of hydrocodone and a thousand dollars in cash. ;)
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #6609
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
Hey Dutch
Take a look over on that other forum site and you'll find a couple hundred posts about the WheatWhacker. My spacing is 2" at the rear.
What other site? This is the only one I'm on that's not Jeep related. Are you still using your stock windscreen? How much better is it? I actually don't mind the air as I get it now, it seems to hit me right across the shoulders. The main reason I'm wanting to do the wheat whacker mod is so I can go keep the shield up at higher speeds or go to a more open helmet.

We need to meet up for a ride at some point too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post
4" tube rubber caps with hose clamps about 18" long
2 shop towels to stop rattle and have clean place to put parts on road.

Nice looking kit. Want to ship it to me?

What size wrenches and sockets do you carry?

I did finish my Motorcycle Safety course on Tuesday, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I rode the bike up there both days and kept stalking this KLR at the Front Range Community College Larimer Campus in Fort Collins.

After the class I went by Tri-City Cycles and found a helmet I liked. I really like the full face setups, but wanted to be able to drink water and talk easily w/o having to remove the helmet so I went with this Bell Modular. The MSC must've been effective because I chose safety yellow for the color. I seem to be riding at night a lot and as my jacket is all black I wanted something easily seen by others. My son gave it his mark of approval.

It also has built in shades that drop down with a push of a button, so no more squeezing my shades into the helmet. They work well with the main shield up too.

Once I get the air flow worked out via Wheat Whacker's mod I'd like to go to a more open helmet. I really like the look of these old-school MX muzzles mounted internally instead of externally.

I'm thinking the Bell Rogue is a great modernization of that look. I tried one on while at Tri-City Cycles and liked it a lot. The muzzle is easily removed or swung to the side and I think it looks bad arse in flat green. I'm betting I can pull it off on the KLR, if it didn't have the flared edge to make it look like a 1/2 helmet it would be even more in line with the look I'm after.

The Shark Raw is another I'm considering getting later on, I love the look of the combined goggles and muzzle.

Oh yeah, and so far I've but over 300 Miles on the bike. I noticed the oil seemed a bit low in the sight glass so I went ahead and changed the filter and put fresh oil in it. I went with Rotella-T 15w40 after reading a bunch of comments about people running it and liking it. I use the Rotella-T 5w40 Synthetic in my S4 with great success so I like the idea of using it in the bike as well.

DutchVDub screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 07:41 PM
DutchVDub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM   #6610
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 600
Kay el are six fifty dot net
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #6611
securety10
Stuck...

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
For those of you with the newer models of the KLRs, how does it compare to the older models (before 2007) on freeway? Does the fenders help at all?
Dad has an 08 I have an 04. The 08 is definitely better above 65 mph or so, but a bit of wind and a few semis and it can still get sketchy above 70 or so. The main issue is the height and weight distribution of the bikes more so than the fairings. If you intend to commute and never off road, I'd go for the newer version. Especially if you are in a cool area and can take advantage of the higher output stator (electric gloves/vest). For off-road I prefer the older model, and I much prefer it when it comes to working on the bike. If I never had to take it a part I'd maybe consider upgrading to the newer model (the 2013 blacked out ones are super sexy IMO), but I despise the removal of the 08+ fairings!

The 08+ can still wheel though:

securety10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #6612
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
[QUOTE=SkiBumBrian;21407756]That might have been an option but I don't think a truck will make it up that road in a lot of places. we had no equipment of any sort and we struggled for half an hour in that loose, shale soil and never even got the bike upright, it was pivoting on that tree and everytime we got it close to away from the tree it wanted to slide further down the hill. We were tired, sweaty and I was minutes from telling Casey we had to leave her here until tomorrow when we could bring up a block and tackle.... but. since footing was so shitty I made a little landing for me to stand on to get a better grip and leverage on the bike, Casey did the same and we almost got it rubber side down. Almost. we decided to dig a large level clearing under the bike and finally got it stood up. Whew! But we were still 20ft from the road. Heck, we built a platform for the bike, why don't we build our own road! We worked for another hour or so, digging with pieces of shale (worked pretty good!) and dug a 8in. trail at an angle in front of the bike.... This was do or die. If this didn't work I was done.
We talked about the logistics and decided Casey would stand on the uphill side of the bike and clutch it up the trail as I was on the downhill side of the bike keeping the bike upright and the power on the narrow traction path. Right at the point the front tire approached the road I slipped, the bike slipped and I just said "pin it!". The bike lurched over the brim... Right on! After a bit of happy dance we continued on our way with no more incidence.
We headed back to town to my favorite watering hole and bragged about our adventure and ingenuity...

No offense guys, but why wouldn't u use the perfectly good road right next to you in the first place??lmao. just kiddin...looks like a p.i.t.a.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:20 PM   #6613
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 5,617
I was out riding today and stopped by the suzuki/kawasaki/ktm/triumph dealer to sit on bikes and get an oil filter for my bike.
I have had big Harleys, and little Harleys, old Triumphs and a new one (Bonneville), a dr650, and lots of smaller bikes.
I sat on a new 2013? klr650, and I found it seemed tall, wide, heavy and massive.
I like the idea of having a bike that is comfortable for a 6 foot tall person, and it did seem roomy (even the stock seat seemed ok), and one my wife could go on the back for a ride from time to time, and one that would do dirt roads and easy trails, but this bike is huge.
I think the width is what gets to me, I never had such a wide bike.

The suspension seemed good, but even so, I have a lot more respect for anyone who rides such a giant bike in the dirt.
I think you guys are nutz!

Do these bikes handle the dirt better then I think they would, or are you guys just amazing and tough?
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #6614
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Laugh

The bike is awesome. With a few upgrades I keep up with the orange machines
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #6615
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,547
Quote:
Also, What size PVC tubing do you guys normally use?
Lincoln (on bike) or Hobart (on asphalt) welding rod holder:

REI Eagle Creek "Tube" pouch, with typical tool assortment:

Or, get neater with an augmented Cruz pack:

The pouches fit inside the welding rod holder, can be pulled out and all tools moved to the area of opeations without the necessity for fishing for needed implements in the tube.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 09:04 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote