Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #6616
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Also, What size PVC tubing do you guys normally use?

Thanks 8-lives.
3"black PVC
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #6617
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
flat

Well, I've had a flat before but never as far from help as I was yesterday and what a pain in the ass it was (expensive too)! So I'm looking at these recent posts and photos of tool kits and I'm wondering if some of you guys could elaborate a little on what you carry for tire repair.
Do you carry a patch kit or a spare tube? Are three tire levers essential or can you get away with less. I've also heard about this c-clamp and plywood thing - how big is the plywood? What other tools are necessary?
Any other discussion so us noobs can learn how to not pay our local bike shop to come and pick up the bike for a stupid flat tire.
Thanks guys!
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 PM   #6618
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
Well, I've had a flat before but never as far from help as I was yesterday and what a pain in the ass it was (expensive too)! So I'm looking at these recent posts and photos of tool kits and I'm wondering if some of you guys could elaborate a little on what you carry for tire repair.
Do you carry a patch kit or a spare tube? Are three tire levers essential or can you get away with less. I've also heard about this c-clamp and plywood thing - how big is the plywood? What other tools are necessary?
Any other discussion so us noobs can learn how to not pay our local bike shop to come and pick up the bike for a stupid flat tire.
Thanks guys!
I always have 3 bars,a small pump,and a patch kit with me,if I go far I have a front and rear tube,a Cclamp and small piece of plywood with me also,both tubes are good and if I have a flat Ill put the good tube in and patch the flat and store it for future use,tubes take up little space compared to the hassle of needing and not having.The plywood also acts as a wide foot for my kickstand if I need it.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 AM   #6619
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,973
Quote:
I'm wondering if some of you guys could elaborate a little on what you carry for tire repair.
This Tusk front fender pack comes with a couple of servicable tire irons, and will hold a spare tube (a front tube can be jammed into the rear tire in an emergency), as well as a patch kit, tire lube, valve core tool, etc.

I've found a stock Generation 1 front fender stout enough to hold the loaded pack over some rough terrain without cracking, although a reinforcing "spar" underneath isn't a bad idea.

Mounting's critical; might want to zip-tie the bag to the fender to prevent loss, or notch the fender edge with a Moto-Tool to give the strap clips a better grip.

XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:56 AM   #6620
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by securety10 View Post
Dad has an 08 I have an 04. The 08 is definitely better above 65 mph or so, but a bit of wind and a few semis and it can still get sketchy above 70 or so. The main issue is the height and weight distribution of the bikes more so than the fairings. If you intend to commute and never off road, I'd go for the newer version. Especially if you are in a cool area and can take advantage of the higher output stator (electric gloves/vest). For off-road I prefer the older model, and I much prefer it when it comes to working on the bike. If I never had to take it a part I'd maybe consider upgrading to the newer model (the 2013 blacked out ones are super sexy IMO), but I despise the removal of the 08+ fairings!

The 08+ can still wheel though:

I don't mind removing the fairings, its putting the damn things back on that drives me nuts!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #6621
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
I carry 2 tubes, 3 irons, a mini Mt. bike pump, and (usually) a patch kit.

I can probably get by with 2 tire irons, but the third one lays alongside the other 2 so it doesn't seem like it takes 50% more space. I cannot justify leaving it out.

I break the bead with crossed tire irons. These are 11" Motion Pro irons (they're a bit rougher from the factory, but a bit of filing takes off the edges). This is definitely something you'll want to practice at home. It sometimes takes several tries to break the bead since prying lever-on-lever is slippery. That's why . . .

I DID just buy Motion Pro Beadpro levers. I'll try these today on a wheel I took off another bike. While I was able to use 2 regular irons to get the bead off, I believe that the beadpros will be quicker and easier. These are definitely bulkier than the tire irons I've been carrying, but the weight is about the same. Nice finish, unlike the 11" irons I got from Motion Pro.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #6622
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
I keep clean air filters on my bikes and know how important it is for the longevity of a motorcycle. The concern riders give to their air filter is rarely transferred to their lungs. I ALWAYS carry a few 3M N95-8511 particulate respirators and treat them just as I would tools. A necessary item to pack on off road rides. Ignore your bikes air filter and you can always buy a new bike. Lungs are a different story. I carry this in my hydration pack, tire fixing stuff in a tail pack. Even when you think you have everything to do a trailside fix, keep in mind not being able to get the bike going. I carry items just in case I have to walk out of the wilderness. Flashlight, cheap pair of tennis shoes, small binoculars.............

Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 AM   #6623
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I keep clean air filters on my bikes and know how important it is for the longevity of a motorcycle. The concern riders give to their air filter is rarely transferred to their lungs. I ALWAYS carry a few 3M N95-8511 particulate respirators and treat them just as I would tools. A necessary item to pack on off road rides. Ignore your bikes air filter and you can always buy a new bike. Lungs are a different story. I carry this in my hydration pack, tire fixing stuff in a tail pack. Even when you think you have everything to do a trailside fix, keep in mind not being able to get the bike going. I carry items just in case I have to walk out of the wilderness. Flashlight, cheap pair of tennis shoes, small binoculars.............

Good stuff here!
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 AM   #6624
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger4u2 View Post
I ALWAYS carry a few 3M N95-8511 particulate respirators and treat them just as I would tools.
When do you wear these? While riding, or what?
Old 05-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #6625
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,582
Thumb Motion Pro BeadPRO

Tried the Motion Pro BeadPRO tire levers just now. Work great!

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #6626
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
Tried the Motion Pro BeadPRO tire levers just now. Work great!
May have to get some!
Old 05-16-2013, 08:28 AM   #6627
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,160
Goin on a cruise through the mountains with a buddy on his R6.. Wish me luck...

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #6628
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
When do you wear these? While riding, or what?
Yes, when riding in dusty condisions. We've been in a sever drought for years. We try to keep it to 4 or 5 riders.
But you end up seeing a guy when you gas up or a rider or two that took a wrong turn and end up with a bunch of riders.
You don't want to be the end of this crew.
When we get back to camp I'm the only one without red dust around my mouth and nose.

I wear sunglasses with a Shoei Hornet DS helmet. Goggles or a helmet without significant room in the mouth area might be a problem with a respirator.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #6629
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
The suspension seemed good, but even so, I have a lot more respect for anyone who rides such a giant bike in the dirt.
I think you guys are nutz!

Do these bikes handle the dirt better then I think they would, or are you guys just amazing and tough?[/QUOTE]

lmao. I'm only 5'7", 150lbs, and I handle my '12 just fine anywhere. I love um cause they're the best of both worlds/go anywhere kinda bike. Yes, it's f'in heavy, yes, they're tall, but I grew up on dirtbikes and love um ta death. When your crusin with your old man and his harley buddys and hop in the ditch doin 60mph and they're mouths fall open......priceless!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #6630
DutchVDub
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,034
It's heavy compared to a dirt bike but its a lighter (significantly so in some cases) than the BMW 650/800/1200 G'S bikes, Triumph Tiger XC, Suzuki Super Tereno (spl), and the like.

I just recently went through a lot of back and forth comparing between a bunch of the different dual-sport bikes and went with the KLR because it is about as close to a 50/50 dirt/street bike as you can get. You can also easily modify them easily towards either direction to suit your needs. They're cheap, reliable, rugged, and simple. All things I love in a vehicle. I was going to get an 08+ but opted for the cheapest pre-07 I could find instead. I'm going to ride it all season and then decide if I'm sticking with it, going to the current model, or picking a different platform with more of a street or dirt bias. So far though, I'm very happy with my bike.