Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #6691
8lives
Oops I fell again

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I Like the hiway pegs.
I wasn't sure about my Highway pegs at first,not that anyone would mistake me for a cruiser kinda guy,so I didn't use them until a 400 mile day on the freeway,and I'm glad they are there now perfect way to squirm around on a long freeway slog,just don't let the HD guys see ya they'll think we are giving in to the look.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
I still see the world through KLR eyes
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #6692
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,042
ValveShimSheet

Doing a valve check today and thought I would make up a sheet for figuring and one to keep for reference for the next scheduled interval... Use one sheet to write down the current lash in top of corresponding circle. When you pull the shims write down the shim thickness in bottom of circle, etc.,etc.
Use sheet to figure new shim size and write down on second sheet. After cam installs write down new lashes in corresponding circles and put sheet away for future reference.
Just thought some of you might like to copy this pic or if you would like a PDF of the sheet just PM me and I can Email one to you.
(I know it is a crude CAD drawing, but it aint no F'ing piano!!)
Old 05-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #6693
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I have tried the PD chain. It was throwing O rings at 12k miles. I orginally changed out the stock one at 18+K as I was due to do a 4 k ride and was not sure. I now have 16+k on a DID X ring and it looks as good as new. PD does not get my vote. RM Atv is a good company to deal with and also stock most of EMikes' parts too.
I know from experience that DID makes quality pieces. This is probably not a good place to try to save a few bucks, thanks.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #6694
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_m64 View Post
Thought i might derail the thread a little bit with a picture of my first ever bike purchase.

saw a decent deal on craigslist for a 1989 KLR650 with just 5K miles and quickly jumped on it. May not be the prettiest thing around but it sure is fun for a new rider.

Only problems with it is it leaks slightly from the drain plug and needs a new chain+clutch cable. No idea if the dohickey has been done. but no money to tackle that yet... so just trying to figure out what i should do to her and in what order.
Congratulations!

And welcome to the asylum.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #6695
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I put a set of shinko 244's on my girlfriends klr and like them. Theyre going on mine next.

Very similar to the 270's mentioned above.

Other people may feel different. I'm used to knobbies.

IMO

Road- good handling, quiet enough, tracks well. Not a sport bike tire but good enough.

Gravel- as good as can be expected.

Dirt- I'm not quite used to them. Its weird to me. They feel like a true dirt tire until they slip. Basically they hook up good, but if you get in a slippery section you're going to be spinning a lot. They don't dig in like a knobbie.

Wet grass- umm... have someone ready with a camera. I manged to wreck in the yard the first time I rode it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
thanks for the info! seems like a lot of people like these tires! easy to mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable Rider View Post
Shinko 705

75 / 25 tires. Mostly blacktop, some gravel roads, couple atv trails, no single track

This past summer my budget dictated that I would be shopping for another set of cheap, affordable rubber for my 2009 KLR 650. I ordered them from Motorcycle Superstore. I think the shipping was free.

I ran them over 3,000 miles into the fall. I must say, they are wearing evenly, no cupping, cracking or chunking. They are confident on pavement, they are great on tar snakes and re-assuring in the rain. Like the stock Dunlop's that came on my KLR, I think these are a softer rubber compound, but if that means a great ride, quite tire experience that is safe, affordable and not scary in all conditions, than its a top choice for me, especially based on price, and these are typically available. I don't want to hear about tires like the Continentals that are never available and on back order my whole riding season. If money was no object, I would run Avon Gripsters. But on my current budget, I can get a pair of Shinko's for considerably less than just the back in a Gripster.

They are considered from one source as being a 75-25 tire, which fits my riding style perfectly. About 25% gravel riding is my limit (seldom go very far off road alone) with the 540 pound weight of my bike trip-rigged. I do keep my tires aired down from what they say to run them at. Working great thus far with heavy loads!

Probably going to be a 4,000 mile tire. Thanks for reading. Just one ole rider's humble opinion. I have run 4 different tire brands and must say these are quite reliable with no quirks for the money for my riding style and bike weight.

Rear $57.99
130 X 80 X17

Front $49.00
90 X 90 X21

LOVE THESE!! these were the ones i got on my klr the first time!! i couldn't remember the name or model but i recognize the thread design! and for that price, can't beat it!! Did you mount and balance these yourself??
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #6696
Argentian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
tires again

So I've been watching some pretty good tire changing vids on youtube and it seems straight forward (highly recommended by the way, before you have a flat way out there somewhere). Pretty much the same as fixing a flat on a bicycle which I've done a lot. It seems that the difficulty in breaking the bead is related to how stiff is the tire you're using.
My question is: since we're using tubes in our KLR tires, will the bead always set well regardless of how fast it's being inflated? In other words, will it work well with a hand pump or will it occasionally be a PITA and I should carry a couple of CO2 shots?
Thanks guys
Argentian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 AM   #6697
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentian View Post
. . . will the bead always set well regardless of how fast it's being inflated? In other words, will it work well with a hand pump
At home I use a bicycle floor pump -- i.e. small diameter designed for 100+PSI but not much volume or speed.

On the road I have always used a shorty bicycle pump -- i.e. even less volume and speed.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:45 AM   #6698
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
thanks for the info! seems like a lot of people like these tires! easy to mount?
It's been a little while but I don't think they were too bad.

There aren't many miles on them yet so I cant comment on wear though.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #6699
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnin View Post
At home I use a bicycle floor pump -- i.e. small diameter designed for 100+PSI but not much volume or speed.

On the road I have always used a shorty bicycle pump -- i.e. even less volume and speed.
That's what I use on the road. Smallest one I could find. Wrapped it in plastic and zip tied to the handlebars.

For home I have an air compressor. Couldn't get by without it really. Once you start using air tools you wont know how you did without. Cheap compressors are actually pretty good for what we need them for. Mine was about $100, and an oiled pump. No oil free stuff, they are llouder and don't last as long. It sits in the basement of the house and I made a soundproof box to keep it in with a flip up lid. You can still hear it but its not bad. Most of my bike work is done inside

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:48 AM   #6700
the dom
n00b

Oddometer: 8
n00b alert

Hey. New to the thread. Just got an '11 KLR 650. Glad to be back in the saddle on such a distinguished bike.
the dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:54 AM   #6701
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
I have tried the PD chain. It was throwing O rings at 12k miles. I orginally changed out the stock one at 18+K as I was due to do a 4 k ride and was not sure. I now have 16+k on a DID X ring and it looks as good as new. PD does not get my vote. RM Atv is a good company to deal with and also stock most of EMikes' parts too.
There's always exceptions...Eagle Mike brought in a new chain line (DID) and asked me to try it out. I don't recall the specific model of DID but it was toast within 4K miles. He had others with 10K miles on the same chain and still looked new. I chalked it up to chit happens.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #6702
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I will be due for a new set in the near future and I plan on going with the 16 tooth front sprocket. This looks like a good deal for an o-ring chain and sprockets delivered for under a c-note.

Have any of you guys gone this route?

http://www.amazon.com/Kawasaki-O-Rin...d+sprocket+set
You will be quite pleased with that set up for chain and sprockets. Great choice, it's the same package that Rocky Mountain ATC Cycle sells for about the same money, same set, same $.

Been there, done that, but I went 15 tooth again last time. I do want to give the "16" a go next time myself.

Oh, take care and have some PATIENCE when it comes to compressing the parts and bits of the chain master-link gizmo. A bit of confusion may set in, but use your head, let us know what you think of the new gearing, would you please? Or shoot me a PM sir. I want to know..
Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #6703
1ROGUERIDER
Earth Rider

Oddometer: 12
New to the cell block

Greetings. First time in. I ride a 2012 killer. Wanted to say that as a 240 lb. rider the stock rear spring sucks. Made for a 150 lb. person. Swapped it out with a 7.4 topgun spring. Wow! What a difference!
1ROGUERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #6704
Unstable Rider
Beyond Thunderdome

Oddometer: 2,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post

LOVE THESE!! these were the ones i got on my klr the first time!! i couldn't remember the name or model but i recognize the thread design! and for that price, can't beat it!! Did you mount and balance these yourself??
You are welcome. Yes, the wonderfully cheap Shinko 705....

Nope, I did not mount em myself. Took em in and had them done, I got a local guy that does both for $45 total if you hand carry them in and leave overnight and they balance em.

I may spoon on the next set though (budget dictates) as it would be good practice.

Road last night in the rain (not by choice), speeds up to 70, very confident tire, even at in what is probably the last 500 miles of their service life here.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #6705
the dom
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ROGUERIDER View Post
Greetings. First time in. I ride a 2012 killer. Wanted to say that as a 240 lb. rider the stock rear spring sucks. Made for a 150 lb. person. Swapped it out with a 7.4 topgun spring. Wow! What a difference!
Just got my '11. Def agree on the spring. I will have to check out the topgun.
the dom is offline   Reply With Quote