Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #6796
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
Yes, even here on ADV there are those who feel they know what is best for everyone... It's all good, I never have been one that liked it "in the box".
Yes, we all have opinions. Some, however, have more substance and experience to them. Fairly easy to spot. Others, tribal knowledge.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #6797
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,320
Quote:
Yes, we all have opinions. Some, however, have more substance and experience to them. Fairly easy to spot. Others, tribal knowledge
Yeah. Yeah. And the rest of us are just making shit up as we go along.

But the takeaway point is that we feel better about ourselves by making others feel worse about themselves and all about shit that ain't that fucking important anyway . It's a "big picture" view of the interweb. ;)

I myself have Cliff Clavin "bar knowledge". "DNA", "cold beer", or the mis-attributed but still highly accurate "slowest buffalo" anyone?

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 02:14 PM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:16 PM   #6798
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
???? What? I don't think any of this is directed at you... I have only noticed you asking valid questions and weeding through multiple opinions... I hope WW does you well with the 688, he has good instructions and has done many. Follow them closely, his ring placement is different than the manual..
Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #6799
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

lol I wasn't speaking of me. Just commenting in general. Again, flat medium. This is a very good thread. Just trying to keep it light in here. Don't need another e-penis measuring thread.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 02:39 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #6800
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Quote:
I never have been one that liked it "in the box".
And at my age I'd try it "in the box" if it was offered. Hell. I might try it from a box.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 02:42 PM
Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM   #6801
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Well just to let you guys know, while Interstate Adventures will be out for awhile I am most likely going to be getting another KLR. It'll either be another KLR or a VStrom 650 that replaced my short lived friend. The wife really wants me to get a bigger bike for long trips, and I won't argue the point. When it comes down to it though I really liked my KLR. I got 56+ mpg out of it the 2 weeks I owned it, it was simple to work on, easy to ride, and fun.

Once I get healed up and everything sorted out with Geico I'm going to test drive current model VStroms and KLR's and go from there. I wish the VStrom had a more off-road look, but the Adventure model is a great bargain. The 2014 concept I've seen is really nice looking, too bad it's not available yet.

I learned a hard lesson with the KLR, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I know they're plenty capable of doing everything I want out of a bike and I thoroughly enjoyed mine while I had it.

I should have adjusted the pre-load on the rear suspension and I really should have just stayed behind the truck. 65-70 is just a perfectly comfy speed on the bike and I should have left it there. After reading from you guys it appears its not an uncommon issue on these bikes and now I know ways to help keep it from happening again, beyond just riding style.

I'm really eager to get the insurance thing finished up and get my stupid body cooperating soon so I can ride again. I miss it so much already. I just keep thinking back to the 287 portion of my trip and how much fun it was.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #6802
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
pelican 1500

Whats the best way to mount a pelican 1500 to my 2013 KLR? Should I just get longer bolts and run them through the pelican to the rack supports? I'd hate to drill holes in the rack.
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:37 PM   #6803
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRooster View Post
Whats the best way to mount a pelican 1500 to my 2013 KLR? Should I just get longer bolts and run them through the pelican to the rack supports? I'd hate to drill holes in the rack.
I mounted mine without drilling.

No done yet, but it all seems to be working as I test them.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #6804
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Well just to let you guys know, while Interstate Adventures will be out for awhile I am most likely going to be getting another KLR. It'll either be another KLR or a VStrom 650 that replaced my short lived friend. The wife really wants me to get a bigger bike for long trips, and I won't argue the point. When it comes down to it though I really liked my KLR. I got 56+ mpg out of it the 2 weeks I owned it, it was simple to work on, easy to ride, and fun.

Once I get healed up and everything sorted out with Geico I'm going to test drive current model VStroms and KLR's and go from there. I wish the VStrom had a more off-road look, but the Adventure model is a great bargain. The 2014 concept I've seen is really nice looking, too bad it's not available yet.

I learned a hard lesson with the KLR, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I know they're plenty capable of doing everything I want out of a bike and I thoroughly enjoyed mine while I had it.

I should have adjusted the pre-load on the rear suspension and I really should have just stayed behind the truck. 65-70 is just a perfectly comfy speed on the bike and I should have left it there. After reading from you guys it appears its not an uncommon issue on these bikes and now I know ways to help keep it from happening again, beyond just riding style.

I'm really eager to get the insurance thing finished up and get my stupid body cooperating soon so I can ride again. I miss it so much already. I just keep thinking back to the 287 portion of my trip and how much fun it was.
One can have fun on anything with 2 wheels and a motor. I have done long distance touring, 1000+ miles on everything from a 70cc through 1150cc. There is enough road for all sorts!

Learning how to ride in a little more than 'paint by numbers', a trip around the block or what a book might say. I like your attitude. There are many great riding miles ahead of you!

The 'Strom' is a great bike. What ever bike you choose, once you make it yours it will be fun.
Old 05-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #6805
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
lol I wasn't speaking of me. Just commenting in general. Again, flat medium. This is a very good thread. Just trying to keep it light in here. Don't need another e-penis measuring thread.
Slow, we just need to get your wrenching skills to match your considerable riding skills, now...

How do I know....?
Old 05-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #6806
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Yeah, well. Some people can't be trusted. ;)
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #6807
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:

Hey if you look at the V Strom 650,keep in mind it will probably go just about anywhere a KLR can with some engine protection and is a much better street bike for 2up riding and solo also,and has a load of aftermarket.I can't get the link thing working yet,my bad,I do believe the Strom is capable.

8lives screwed with this post 05-27-2013 at 09:41 AM
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #6808
DutchVDub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
The Strom is definitely capable of doing anything off road that I would be doing, I just like the look and simplicity of the KLR better.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM   #6809
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRooster View Post
If your speaking of mounting a single Pelican case to the rear rack...

I used 4 bolts coming UP from the rack with knobs inside the case. That way...your case is secure, yet can easily be removed (by unlocking and opening the case) and undoing the knobs. This way your OEM tools are covered also, yet reasonably accessible. If you look carefully...on the GEN1 tray (and maybe on GEN2) there are recesses that might hold your tire irons also. My tray has recesses that fit my tire irons perfectly...with the case on they rest tight.

If your chosen bolts are a common thread size (example 1/4x20) knobs are easy to find (bolt bins at ACE, HD, Lowes). A few washers and lock washers with the bolts and knobs and your fixed up.

FAW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #6810
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
The Strom is definitely capable of doing anything off road that I would be doing, I just like the look and simplicity of the KLR better.
I'm with you on the Way the Strom looks,I saw 1 yesterday and the guy had some crash bars,a good skid plate,and it was really dirty that's when I said "best looking Strom Ive ever seen"most of them just are too clean this 1 was getting ridden and looked proper.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote