Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #6811
rodmuzwa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
The Strom is definitely capable of doing anything off road that I would be doing, I just like the look and simplicity of the KLR better.
I have both. 2009 Wee and 2012 KLR. Both amazing bikes. The KLR has the edge off road. The Wee is a big heavy bugger and when it starts to go its very difficult to stop her falling. Although the KLR is heavy its not in the same weight league as the Strom.
Strom is far superior on the Tarmac. More power, faster, more comfortable and in my experience less thirsty!
Both great bikes. You can't go wrong whichever you choose!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #6812
DirtyRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAW3 View Post
If your speaking of mounting a single Pelican case to the rear rack...

I used 4 bolts coming UP from the rack with knobs inside the case. That way...your case is secure, yet can easily be removed (by unlocking and opening the case) and undoing the knobs. This way your OEM tools are covered also, yet reasonably accessible. If you look carefully...on the GEN1 tray (and maybe on GEN2) there are recesses that might hold your tire irons also. My tray has recesses that fit my tire irons perfectly...with the case on they rest tight.

If your chosen bolts are a common thread size (example 1/4x20) knobs are easy to find (bolt bins at ACE, HD, Lowes). A few washers and lock washers with the bolts and knobs and your fixed up.

cool, yeah I was talking about one case on the top rack. I guess I was just chicken about drilling holes in my new bikes rack. I'm going to use knobs or wing nuts like you suggested.
DirtyRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #6813
crazyal
dumb ass

Oddometer: 138
Storm vs klr

Had a 97 klr rode the snot out of it for 3 years bought a westrom enjoyed it for 4 years but never felt as comfortable on it so sold it and just bought another klr.
The wee never felt like I could ride it off road or comfortably even dirt roads.
I tried suspension, tire pressures, just couldn't ride it at all same.
You might just need more than one bike

05 weestrom mildly farkled SOLD

02 drz250 the little yellow tractor Sold
crazyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:24 AM   #6814
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
One can have fun on anything with 2 wheels and a motor. I have done long distance touring, 1000+ miles on everything from a 70cc through 1150cc.
Completely agree with thr first part! But a 70cc?! Really?! That's insane! Stories n pictures please!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #6815
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Completely agree with thr first part! But a 70cc?! Really?! That's insane! Stories n pictures please!

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2
I will have to dig through pics from my teens. The bike was a 'hybrid'. Maserati frame and suspension (yes they made them in the 50's). Pegaso wheels - nice AL rims (an Italian 4 stroke also from the 50's that had decent brakes for that time). A bored out 50cc Mosquito motor with Garelli transmission and clutch (also from the 50's and early 60's). Google them for more info.

I fabricated and assembled the various parts and then worked the motor over with a 20mm Dellorto carb and expansion chamber or 'pipe', which was new in the mid '60's. Great adventures on it. Top speed 80mph on little skinny tires! Lived in Pretoria, South Africa at the time. Used to ride down to the South Coast of Natal- Indian ocean, 450+ miles away to visit friends. The rear wheel had a small buckle. I would have to stop 1/2 way down to rotate the tire to ensure enough tread to get home.

All a part of a miss-spent youth!
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 AM   #6816
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969

Fine-looking maachine, Tsotise, and . . . you haven't aged a bit!
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:29 PM   #6817
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
Quote:
I will have to dig through pics from my teens. The bike was a 'hybrid'. Maserati frame and suspension (yes they made them in the 50's). Pegaso wheels - nice AL rims (an Italian 4 stroke also from the 50's that had decent brakes for that time). A bored out 50cc Mosquito motor with Garelli transmission and clutch (also from the 50's and early 60's). Google them for more info.

I fabricated and assembled the various parts and then worked the motor over with a 20mm Dellorto carb and expansion chamber or 'pipe', which was new in the mid '60's. Great adventures on it. Top speed 80mph on little skinny tires! Lived in Pretoria, South Africa at the time. Used to ride down to the South Coast of Natal- Indian ocean, 450+ miles away to visit friends. The rear wheel had a small buckle. I would have to stop 1/2 way down to rotate the tire to ensure enough tread to get home.

All a part of a miss-spent youth!
that is just awesome!! love the below above too! i guess you can say you have a little experience with bikes huh??
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #6818
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
that is just awesome!! love the below above too! i guess you can say you have a little experience with bikes huh??
That picture was taken in '63 or '64, if I recall. A little experience, still learning, still riding (about 10-16K a year). Still having fun, although the bones are not quite as agile as they used to be..
Old 05-28-2013, 07:21 PM   #6819
Snowbird
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
I have an '09 KLR bought used. The right mirror image looks closer than it really is. Are all of them like that? Can I change it to match the left mirror? Is there any reason I shouldn't do that?

It freaks me out when I glance in my mirror and cars look like they are about to swallow me whole.

Thanks.
Snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #6820
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651
[QUOTE=Tsotsie;21463842]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprilia View Post
. These new kits are way better engineered over previous versions. ...QUOTE]

What does that mean? How and why?
Sorry for the late reply. Went for a long ride! Here's a couple of pix I took over the weekend comparing the new pistons to OEM. This particular piston is the "new" 685 kit which just came in.

Here you can see the new lateral gas ports. This allowed a complete re-engineering/design of the ring pack which is now on par with anything produced on todays modern engines. The black on the right is anti friction coating(s) on the skirt.

In this pic you can see how much less material when compared to OEM piston. Computer modeling showed that the wrist pin was overkill on the OEM so this to was redesigned (made smaller) to save additional weight without loss of strength. Additional channeling was added to aid in getting more oil to the wrist pin.

Side view of new vs old

Now the most important part. Using my digital scale here are some comparison numbers of wrist pin, piston w/ rings etc, piston only and overall.

Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:00 PM   #6821
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 651

Very cool pix. I had run across one of me a couple months ago. This was mid 80's. As you can see I was way ahead in the design department. lol

Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #6822
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
I like the fairing/bike marriage..... Yes, that is "out of the box". Your earlier pic reminded me of when we took a TACO mini bike and shoehorned an old Suzuki 80 smoker in it. My older brother made an expansion chamber in metal shop and instantaneously I was the fastest 5 yr. old on the block. It is wonderful to reminisce......
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #6823
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
Soo I'm going to go look at (and most likely buy) my second motorcycle tomorrow, a 2004 KLR 650. Previously owned a XL250 as my first bike, I've learned a lot. But as the buying process goes I feel rather uncomfortable about it. What kind of things should I look for on the bike, regarding fixes etc. The guy says it rums fine, and that the bike cam handle the 2 hour drive home. Original owner, low miles. The only things I can think to check are breaks, forks, tire tread/ air pressure, chain/sprockets and engine sounds/clicking... Wondering if there's more or different items you pros would look for... Thanks in advance!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #6824
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

[QUOTE=Aprilia;21513072]
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. Went for a long ride! Here's a couple of pix I took over the weekend comparing the new pistons to OEM. This particular piston is the "new" 685 kit which just came in.

Here you can see the new lateral gas ports. This allowed a complete re-engineering/design of the ring pack which is now on par with anything produced on todays modern engines. The black on the right is anti friction coating(s) on the skirt.

In this pic you can see how much less material when compared to OEM piston. Computer modeling showed that the wrist pin was overkill on the OEM so this to was redesigned (made smaller) to save additional weight without loss of strength. Additional channeling was added to aid in getting more oil to the wrist pin.

Side view of new vs old

Now the most important part. Using my digital scale here are some comparison numbers of wrist pin, piston w/ rings etc, piston only and overall.

I presume that this an Arais piston? You really need to make a comparison between that and the original 685 JE piston that was sourced and developed by Cary through Schnitz. Of particular importance is the pressure the rings excert on the bore. Did you measure that?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #6825
perterra
-. --- .--. .

Oddometer: 7,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

Fine-looking maachine, Tsotise, and . . . you haven't aged a bit!

Nice little bike, cool.

IBA 22425
perterra is offline   Reply With Quote