Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #6841
AUWalker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggerled View Post
I 'm getting ready to order the Moose Hybrid pegs. I do not understand the purpose of "1/2 inch offset". Could someone please explain?

The offset = the center line of the peg is moved back 1/2" from the OEM peg center line position. It gives your foot more room between the pegs and shifter/brake and also, when you're standing it moves you back 1/2" away from the handlebars.

completely stolen from the place I read about it
AUWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #6842
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Sounds good for a big foot like me.
akaDigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #6843
1ROGUERIDER
Earth Rider

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
I 'm getting ready to order the Moose Hybrid pegs. I do not understand the purpose of "1/2 inch offset". Could someone please explain?

I am a size 15 myself. You might also want to look at pivot pegz.
1ROGUERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #6844
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Done deal. 1/2" offset pegs w/springs should be in my hands next Tuesday.
SW Motech crash bars already on the way from TT and also seat from Sargent.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #6845
pappionabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Done deal. 1/2" offset pegs w/springs should be in my hands next Tuesday.
SW Motech crash bars already on the way from TT and also seat from Sargent.
Let us know how the seat turns out, I'm not sure wether to go with the Sargent seat or one from seat concepts????
pappionabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #6846
ecarnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
Let us know how the seat turns out, I'm not sure wether to go with the Sargent seat or one from seat concepts????
I have the Sargent on my klr. Very happy with it. Can part it out for 50% when I sell the bike - as comes with a new seat pan.

I have a seat concepts on my WR. It's ok. If I were to do it again on that bike, would try a Sargent......
2012 Dacre Challenge -Team Explore the Bruce - 8th (i.e last) Place. 17:59
ecarnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #6847
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappionabike View Post
I had a sargent on my fjr and hated it. To me it was way too hard. I imagine the klr would be similar.

You almost have to sit on one and try it. Others seem to like sargents, but it wasn't for me. I have a saddlemen on my klr now, I like it ok. The russell on the fjr spoiled me, I'll probably never like another seat again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #6848
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Question What are HP/Torque Estimates of the new kits?

[QUOTE=fleshpiston;21515893][QUOTE=Tsotsie;21515428]

If someone (who?) has ordered retail versions of these pistons, then they must have tested various versions Before ordering the retail versions.

What are the estimated performance of these new Big Bore kits?

Originally I thought that Eaglemike was developing these kits but I see lots of different people posting information/ pictures. Who are the folks who are developing these kits, and who will be selling them?

Thanks
IBA #43
2013 Vespa 300ie S GTS
2014 G650GS
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #6849
akaDigger
Amateur Adventurer

Me, I'm just rolling the dice with the Sargent. You can't know until you put your own ass on it. It seems to be the most popular here so I figure I can unload it and roll again if necessary. I did 900mi over 2 days on the stock seat when I bought the bike and my ass is still sensitive. I had to do something even if it's wrong.
I ordered a Sargent for my Triumph Tiger 800XC at the same time.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #6850
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 253
Playing with cardboard

It was perfectly calm last night, so I decided to experiment with cardboard and air flow. I made a little addition to the lower fairing.
First I made my patterns and got everything ready. Then I went for a ride in stock form.

Alright, that was fun. I get the wind blast right at neck, chin level. Normally within my tolerance. It's really not all that bad, just a little noisy. But with a head wind or some cross winds it gets rather irritating.

So then I duct taped the cardboard on and did the same ride.

Interesting. No wind on my knees and upper legs. A little less buffeting on my the bottom of my helmet. I'd like to try it on a windy day but the thunderstorm and hail today destroyed it. With the stock fairing a fair bit of wind gets channeled up the front of the tank and into the cockpit. Normally this is not bad, in fact it may even re-leave some of the low pressure area behind the screen?? But in some conditions I think it causes a lot of buffeting.

So..maybe if I can find the right materials some fairing mods could keep me occupied next winter. It wasn't a big difference but defiantly noticeable.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #6851
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
It was perfectly calm last night, so I decided to experiment with cardboard and air flow. I made a little addition to the lower fairing.
First I made my patterns and got everything ready. Then I went for a ride in stock form.

Alright, that was fun. I get the wind blast right at neck, chin level. Normally within my tolerance. It's really not all that bad, just a little noisy. But with a head wind or some cross winds it gets rather irritating.

So then I duct taped the cardboard on and did the same ride.

Interesting. No wind on my knees and upper legs. A little less buffeting on my the bottom of my helmet. I'd like to try it on a windy day but the thunderstorm and hail today destroyed it. With the stock fairing a fair bit of wind gets channeled up the front of the tank and into the cockpit. Normally this is not bad, in fact it may even re-leave some of the low pressure area behind the screen?? But in some conditions I think it causes a lot of buffeting.

So..maybe if I can find the right materials some fairing mods could keep me occupied next winter. It wasn't a big difference but defiantly noticeable.
Try some coroplast corrugated plastic sign material free for the picking after elections ( you are just cleaning up the neighborhood) or stop at a sign shop and ask for some scraps.

tom
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #6852
BTNMOOVER
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Go with the Pivot Pegz I had them on my 2012 KLR until I sold it today. Swivel man swivel when you shift
BTNMOOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #6853
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
Thumb Interesting idea!

Tommu, great idea to search out any improvement in air mgmt. Even though I don't have a KLR, my R has some healthy and dirty air that comes around my trip shield, and I imagine some wings, etc, if properly created, would enhance my riding comfort.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #6854
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I had a sargent on my fjr and hated it. To me it was way too hard. I imagine the klr would be similar.

You almost have to sit on one and try it. Others seem to like sargents, but it wasn't for me. I have a saddlemen on my klr now, I like it ok. The russell on the fjr spoiled me, I'll probably never like another seat again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
I have tried the Corbin and the Sargent. Will never buy another Corbin again- for any bike. Sargent is great quality and well made, but not the right shape for me. Some are able to ride forever on stock seats. Not me. I have a Bill Meyer on my other ride - very good

There is a plus for Sargent - was? If you buy direct from them, you can use the seat for 1 month and return it for a full refund if you dont like it.

Then came the Russel. I have a love, hate relationship with it. 1st day out, dont like it. Day 2-10, love it! They may look odd, but then ones butt does not have eyes, 'butt' feelings! A clear favorite by far.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 06:36 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 AM   #6855
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,701
[QUOTE=Dave92029;21521067][QUOTE=fleshpiston;21515893]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post

If someone (who?) has ordered retail versions of these pistons, then they must have tested various versions Before ordering the retail versions.

What are the estimated performance of these new Big Bore kits?

Originally I thought that Eaglemike was developing these kits but I see lots of different people posting information/ pictures. Who are the folks who are developing these kits, and who will be selling them?

Thanks
Performance gains in measurable HP etc? Not sure if anyone has done cross comparisons using reliable measurables. Having ridden a 685 for 40k miles, the difference is very noticable- smoother, more torque and no noticable oil usage. Some have said 3-4 hp and more torque. Lots of tribal repeated claims of wonder get regurgitated. Without a doubt a significant and highly recommended and reasonable improvement. I believe that I may have got the last 685 machined by Cary.

The originator of the 685 and 705 was Cary Aspy who worked for Schnitz Racing and got JE Pistons invloved to spec in not only a decent forged piston, but also the appropriate ring pressures. He and Emike were close buddies (although they lived on the other sides of the US) before Cary lost his life to an SUV a few years ago. Emike was given all of Cary's detailed and extensive engineering notes by Cary's family. Cary was meticulous in testing. Emikes engineering and personal credibility are impeccable - and one of a few who knows what he is talking about- without fanfare!

There are others in the CA area (Wyman)who have begun to play around with other displacements and pistons from Arais. I have not seen them or know anyone who has used them over an extended period.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 05-30-2013 at 06:34 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote