Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #7111
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
The funny thing is I don't mention anywhere that I'm trying to penny pinch or seek out a "cheap" chain. I was trying to ask for suggestions and get some names for ANY. I'm 26 and I know already that you get what you pay for =]
I am not sure that the brand matters as long as you get a high tesile strength, pre-stretched, O or X-ring type chain.

RK 520EXW XW-RING Chain 520x106 - $70 at Rocky Mountain
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #7112
MSrider
Rebel with a sixfiddy

Oddometer: 4,267
EK, RK, DiD. All good chains made in Japan. Bikemaster chains are made in Japan and have held up with the same mileage as a factory chain for me. 18k+. YMMV.
Never had any luck with Primary Drive holding up well.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #7113
supermancam
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Gotta love KLRs for their reliability and cheapness! that's why i went back to one!
Exactly! They are the multi purpose legend. No the best on pavement or dirt but pretty good at both. Takes a beating too! I ride with guys with more expensive dual sports and offroad bikes but manage to keep up ok.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
supermancam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #7114
y0y02369
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermancam View Post
Exactly! They are the multi purpose legend. No the best on pavement or dirt but pretty good at both. Takes a beating too! I ride with guys with more expensive dual sports and offroad bikes but manage to keep up ok.

Oh yeah man! i agree on all counts! They are amazing machines. Gonna miss this the day i upgrade! might have to keep one handy!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #7115
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,369
Hey guys,

Can we talk suspensions?

I have a 2009 KLR with 12,000 miles that desperately needs a suspension upgrade just to support this decidedly-not-Japanese size rider and his gear.

I do ride off road, but very conservatively in comparison to what I read about guys doing around here. My off road excursions are basically a half step up from trail/fire road riding, but most of my riding is commuter and touring oriented.

I normally weigh in around 240# with gear and usually have at least some sort of small payload. Then twice a year I load up 50 to 60 lbs of camping/touring gear and ride a while.

I'm in talks right now with Top Gun/MMP sales right now to get some upgraded springs, but I'm wondering what all of you are using.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #7116
GAS GUY
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Hey guys,

Can we talk suspensions?

I have a 2009 KLR with 12,000 miles that desperately needs a suspension upgrade just to support this decidedly-not-Japanese size rider and his gear.

I do ride off road, but very conservatively in comparison to what I read about guys doing around here. My off road excursions are basically a half step up from trail/fire road riding, but most of my riding is commuter and touring oriented.

I normally weigh in around 240# with gear and usually have at least some sort of small payload. Then twice a year I load up 50 to 60 lbs of camping/touring gear and ride a while.

I'm in talks right now with Top Gun/MMP sales right now to get some upgraded springs, but I'm wondering what all of you are using.

Thanks in advance!
I am 230 also and am running a #550 in lb Eibach spring in the rear with a custom 2 stage revalve on the stock 2008 shock and I just added a Fox remote reservoir with adjustable compression.

Up front is progressive springs along with Race Tech Emulators and a fork brace.

I am very happy with this suspension and it is not harsh at all even if I run with no luggage.
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #7117
mxboy96
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
KLR's rule

Yea a CBR might go fast and fun, but we're not limited to the less than 1% of this country covered in pavement, right guys?? We can go anywhere we please! KLR's rule
Old 06-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #7118
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 246
Reliable?! Compared to what a harley? Auto Compression release, doohickey, oil consumption, petcock, wiring that gets cut due to vibration...
Dont get me wrong, i like my klr but lets call it like it is.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:15 AM   #7119
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO_OUTSIDE! View Post
Reliable?! Compared to what a harley? Auto Compression release, doohickey, oil consumption, petcock, wiring that gets cut due to vibration...
Dont get me wrong, i like my klr but lets call it like it is.
All bikes have their issues. DR 650's - NSU screw, 3rd gear, rear cush drive and bearings, etc, BMW 's with hoses, water pumps, electronics, FI hose connections and the list of bikes like KTM can go on and on... Not too many of them you can fix on the side of the road though.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 05:25 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #7120
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can we talk suspensions?

Thanks in advance!
You have several choices.
1. Change the spring for one that is best suited to your weight. Even with your preload adjusted tight it would not be enough for you. Several suppliers - Top Gun is one. Stock damping the bike comes with, however, is the cheapest available.
2. Invest in a decent after market rear shock. Several makes- I prefer the CD Moab. They will add a spring rated for your weight. Their damping system is world class and really transforms the rear end. While they will pre-test and set the shock up for you ( they tend to set it up hard) you have great adjustments for pre-load as well as damping.

Service the front end with proper oil level. Or, you can add all, springs to front and back etc. Start at the back 1st.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 05:35 AM
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 07:43 AM   #7121
astrolump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 482
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can we talk suspensions?

Thanks in advance!
Having seen how much a good shock and front fork emulators transforms the klr i would recommend getting a CD moab shock, and stiffer front fork springs paired with riccor intimidators. it is a night and day difference. really. the fork springs and valves will cost you aprox $300 and the shock $500ish but it is so worth it.
i can rip down washboard gravel roads at 70mph and it feels like im on the highway. i see the washboard..but cant feel it...its like magic.

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #7122
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,369
OK, thanks for the recommendations guys.
Thanantos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #7123
jrs1899
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I noticed that my rear tube has a slow leak. Is there a way to fix this without removing the tire from the rim. I something like slime safe on a motorcycle. I know I can patch the tube, but I don't want to deal with that right now. Thanks in advance.
jrs1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM   #7124
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs1899 View Post
I noticed that my rear tube has a slow leak. Is there a way to fix this without removing the tire from the rim. I something like slime safe on a motorcycle. I know I can patch the tube, but I don't want to deal with that right now. Thanks in advance.
You can break the bead of the tire and slide the tube out, leaving the tire on the rim.

You might watch a few motorcycle tire-changing video clips available on the 'Net; while these presentations probably involve tire replacement, you will get the idea of how a tube might be slickeed out and replaced without prying the tire bead over the rim . . .

Slime comes in a special tube-type formulation, I'm told (the tubeless flavor is inadvisable in tubes), but . . . I've no idea how effective the compound might be.

Finally, if you DO pull that tube, they're rather inexpensive--why not simply install a new one, patch the old one and keep it for a spare?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #7125
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolump View Post
Having seen how much a good shock and front fork emulators transforms the klr i would recommend getting a CD moab shock, and stiffer front fork springs paired with riccor intimidators. it is a night and day difference. really. the fork springs and valves will cost you aprox $300 and the shock $500ish but it is so worth it.
i can rip down washboard gravel roads at 70mph and it feels like im on the highway. i see the washboard..but cant feel it...its like magic.
I have the same front and rear setup on my 2009 KLR and I'm completely impressed with the ride control. It isn't 12" of travel but it is totally controlled 7" or 8" of travel.
:2008 DR650 :2009 Aprilia DorsoDuro
:2009 KLR 650 :more to come
ram1000 is offline   Reply With Quote