User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #7186
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,607
Quick question...

For the past month or so, I am getting a "clicking" or short sound when I hit the starter button. The sound seems to be coming from the dash area, but may also be coming from the area around the clutch.

If I continue pressing the button, while it makes the sound, the bike will not start or turn (despite the fact that I have the clutched pulled-in). However, if I squeeze the clutch lever really hard against the grip, the bike will start.

What should I be looking for?

EDIT- Gen II (2011), with about 9000 miles on the clock.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #7187
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,069
Could it be the relay for the clutch safety crap....

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #7188
Saltydog86
village idiot

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommu56 View Post

at about 3:00
I've found my foot or knee works for the same purpose as the bead buddy, and I disagree with tightening the valve stem nut all the way. I run them halfway on my KLW and XT225 and don't even use them at all on my KTM 350. Seen tubes slip and tear the valve stem off more than once.

and I also remember when I first started changing tires and bought the rim protectors...lol, what a joke. They are a hassle...
05 Yamaha XT225
03 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Saltydog86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:47 PM   #7189
Good Karma
n00b

Oddometer: 1
questions about bark busters and shad top case

Hey Guys,

I just bought a new KLR and I am in the process of putting some goodies on the bike. I bought 5 things (MRA Touring Windscreen, Motech Crash Bars, Motech Aluminum Skid Plate, Bark Buster VPS Handguards and a Shad top case). Today I installed the windscreen, crash bars & skid plate with no problems.

I looked at the Bark Busters and read the instructions but after removing the bar end on the left side I tried to line up the aluminum support bar to see where the inner mounting bracket would need to go and it seemed to land right on top of the cables and the joint where the two parts of the handlebar meet. My question here is has anyone mounted these hand guards on this bike ? If so was it easier than it appears or was it difficult ? Can anyone point me to an installation video ? (I have searched but couldn't find one).

Cheers

Good Karma screwed with this post 06-26-2013 at 06:36 PM
Good Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 PM   #7190
straightenarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113

Thanks to you guys the wheels in the klr go round and round again... no more pinched tubes to show for it :) 7 days till Alaska!

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
straightenarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #7191
straightenarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
That is the secret!
Airing up the tube more and Windex everywhere made changing these tires child's play.. thanks so much :)

Old 06-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #7192
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,418
Glad to hear the tire changing is going better,its just asking around,finding what works best for you and lotsa practice,it'll always be a snap now.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:55 AM   #7193
8lives
Runnin on wonder

Oddometer: 1,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydog86 View Post
I've found my foot or knee works for the same purpose as the bead buddy, and I disagree with tightening the valve stem nut all the way. I run them halfway on my KLW and XT225 and don't even use them at all on my KTM 350. Seen tubes slip and tear the valve stem off more than once.

and I also remember when I first started changing tires and bought the rim protectors...lol, what a joke. They are a hassle...
I agree on the rim protectors,I use them on the Sportbike but mine are milk carton pieces,and never even bother on the KLR it likes to have scratches on it,now I rarely use them on the Sportbike and just touch up with a marking pen,the whole process gets easier and tubeless are plug and go unless its getting a new tire.
1986 XT350 For going places the Wee shouldn't be!
8lives smugmug
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #7194
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,041
Trauma kit

With the upcoming rally, I always go through my trauma kit and check if it needs to be restocked and that all sterile packaging is intact. I try to cover most possibilities but you can't carry everything... Even a simple first aid kit is invaluable when someone is in need, the life you save my be your own!
Old 06-21-2013, 11:49 AM   #7195
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
With the upcoming rally, I always go through my trauma kit and check if it needs to be restocked and that all sterile packaging is intact. I try to cover most possibilities but you can't carry everything... Even a simple first aid kit is invaluable when someone is in need, the life you save my be your own!
Add sutures and superglue.
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #7196
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

No sewing in the field. Dirty wounds that need cleaning, unsanitary conditions for stitches. I can control bleeding in other ways, first rule. Do no harm.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 PM   #7197
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightenarrow View Post

Thanks to you guys the wheels in the klr go round and round again... no more pinched tubes to show for it :) 7 days till Alaska!

are you riding no handed, approaching a turn while taking pictures on your cell phone or is it just an illusion
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #7198
straightenarrow
Gnarly Adventurer

Attention to detail...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
are you riding no handed, approaching a turn while taking pictures on your cell phone or is it just an illusion
...is what gets your tire on the rim easily!

I would never admit to such a thing... bungie strap cruise in true KLR owner fashion. In the court of law, I am parked in the road with the needle stuck on the speedo... they said those speedos are finicky buggers to get seated right?

Happy Friday and thanks again for all the help! Putting some heated grips on tonight and starting my packing for 27 days on the road with the KLR
Old 06-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #7199
astrolump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
good kit...but no quick clot?
i agree on the sutures..i carry butterflys. but ive been considering buying a stapler for solo trail-side repairs.
nice funk toe

"They see me coming on my KLR......They hide their daughters and their PBR......
I'll take the beer,no time for girls......Got a date in the Forest, chasing squirrels. "
astrolump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:41 PM   #7200
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Never seen a need for it. A hemophiliac or persons on thinners would know if they have an issue and usually carry things particular to their condition, just like people with allergic reactions that are prone to anaphylaxis know to carry some vascular constrictor... Sutures, staples, just piss the doctor off, if you need to go....