Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #7366
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,892
Rode the green beast from Redding to Big Bear Lake,CA via I-5 to HWY 58 Then back roads up to Big Bear,put my 16 tooth sprocket on and cruised 65MPH at 4500RPM most of the trip.I-5 sucks but it got me down quick,620 miles that day,then I did HWY395 going home to Reno and headed west to Redding,yesterday was a 730 mile day,I needed some parts so I had to buzz east to Barstow which added 66 miles to the trip coming home,the manager at Barstow Motorcycle Center was cool and opened early so I could get the masterlink clip that disappeared some where along the way,what a duffus I was for not having 1 I got an extra now,anyway the bike did well,no oil consumption,fuel mileage varied 38mpg to 48mpg.Man I love wandering on my motorcycle,whatever 1 I have at the moment!
8lives is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 AM   #7367
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
Well I ordered an H7 HID kit from HID nation for my '13. Don't know if one or two bulbs will come with it. I am assuming 2, but for only 60 bucks not holding my breath for a true HID light. Looking to reduce wattage used by the headlights. If its two then I will replace both bulbs but will lose ability to flash my bright so debating that on right now. If I can use each bulb separately than the wife's bike will get the other low beam.
Run one low beam HID and the high beam the standard bulb. You do NOT want to know what it's like not being able to see something up ahead at a moments notice, and not being able to. Plus, the offset colors will also aid in daytime riding if you ride with the high beam on.

My brilliant theory is that the offset colors makes people look twice before merging over into your lane.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:10 AM   #7368
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
22 cent mod

Did the 22 cent mod to my '06 this morning. Real easy(and cheap!) to do, and while not earth shaking, it definitely made the throttle response snappier. I used two .025" #4 washers to shim the needle. Enlarged the vacuum hole of the slide with a 7/64" twist drill. Backed the pilot jet adjust out two turns from seated. Bike has been running lean. Will see if this helps at all with that. If not, will try a #150 main jet next.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #7369
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK650 View Post
Did the 22 cent mod to my '06 this morning. Real easy(and cheap!) to do, and while not earth shaking, it definitely made the throttle response snappier. I used two .025" #4 washers to shim the needle. Enlarged the vacuum hole of the slide with a 7/64" twist drill. Backed the pilot jet adjust out two turns from seated. Bike has been running lean. Will see if this helps at all with that. If not, will try a #150 main jet next.

Jeff
This subject gets beaten to death This is my view and it can be debated by others to no end....
If you are running stock exhaust and an unmodified airbox you are probably just fine with only the mix screw turned out. Shimming the needle is great, and like you said cheap but if you richen the mix you need to open the exhaust and intake. Don't even think of a bigger main. maybe even a step down.
Just like sticking a open exhaust and doing the L mod to the airbox will make you leaner without carb tuning, richening the mix without exhaust/intake mods will just waste fuel.
They are like the fire triangle and the proper mix of all variables are essential to optimum tuning.

And that's all I got to say about that....
(Forrest Gump)
Old 07-06-2013, 05:43 AM   #7370
stuser
Putt putt putt

Oddometer: 379
Time for a new top end.....

Ah the ol' KLR.

Slow, fat, burns oil, not very fuel efficient, but shit it's pretty reliable and for that I love it.

I got myself a 2008 KLR.... Bought it last October when it had 17,000km on it. Had the right extras on it to make it seem a good deal.

Problem started when I had it for a week and I noticed that it had very little oil in it, uh oh. Then after a while I realised that it was using HEAPS of oil, I mean sometimes I'd ride 200km and then need to put in a litre heaps... Yeah.

As long as I keep the oil up, it runs absolutely fine. NOTE that this is NOT a post about how to fix it. I know what needs to be done, after researching the bejesus outa the problem.

I made myself (and the bike) a promise that I'd put in new rings and piston etc when I'd ridden it 10,000km. Well Im 99% of the way there, and tomorrow will knock that off...

This is more of a comment on the reliability of the bike, aside from that manufacturing glitch....

In the time I've ridden the bike, I've not been gentle, been riding it in all kinds of terrain... maybe not to it's limits, but certainly to the limits of my ability.

In the time I've owned it, what have I had to do to it:

1. shit loads of oil.
2. cleaned the air filter regularly.
3. cleaned the chain regularly.
4. noticed an oil leak in crankcase.... so changed the gear selector seal and the countersprocket seal. The second seal was the issue. In this process learned all about changing sprockets and chains, which so far haven't needed to be done.
5. heated hand grips broke, but that's not a KLR problem.
6. bought five tyres.
7. replaced a couple of bolts that "disappeared".
8. oh and one of the rear indicator wires broke, and I lost a screw so it was hanging off by a wire today.
9. and the tail light has just stopped working.

AND THAT IS IT.

Admittedly I've only got it bogged once, only done a few water crossings. Have hit a few bumps, oh and somehow dented the bash plate

I was out in the middle of nowhere today, thinking gee if I break down now, its gonna suck a lot. Was it gonna happen? No.

The KLR is soooooo reliable and I'm so pleased with it's behaviour these last months that I owe it a rebuild.

Now all I need to decide is whether the 705 is worth the effort over the 685....

stuser screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 05:54 AM
stuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #7371
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcorrigan View Post
I usually use a dent puller when I pull ignition. It works well for popping door locks too.
Thanks, but was hoping to use a little more finesse than that.

Someone pointed me to a link that explained the process:

http://www.photos.klr650.net/display...bum=775&pos=18

The job is done.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #7372
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,464
KLR650 Only Thread......

After my 688 install (and by the break-in procedure detailed by Wyman) I rode KilLeR with the 14 tooth for about 200 miles with shagged tires. Insanely fun. Truly outstanding running KLR. Had serious fun dogging ghostrider1964's HP2 in some 30's. (CR 1004, 1012, 1011, and FM 51 up by Glen Rose, Texas).

Finished up some doodads and put new shoes on and then put the stock 15 tooth back on. Goodness. I really think I prefer the 14. Everywhere.

It's not (yet) any faster top speed and I couldn't give a damn about fuel mileage and the vibes aren't that bad. Sure give up a lot of hooligan-ness for 700-800 less rpm's in 5th. I was hoping it would pull redline in 5th with the 15 but so far it won't get close.

I'll give it this weekend. Then it is back to the 14.

BTW. My hillbilly "everything but the kitchen sink " front brake upgrade is outstanding. I have a real front brake!!! On a KLR!!
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #7373
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
This subject gets beaten to death This is my view and it can be debated by others to no end....
If you are running stock exhaust and an unmodified airbox you are probably just fine with only the mix screw turned out. Shimming the needle is great, and like you said cheap but if you richen the mix you need to open the exhaust and intake. Don't even think of a bigger main. maybe even a step down.
Just like sticking a open exhaust and doing the L mod to the airbox will make you leaner without carb tuning, richening the mix without exhaust/intake mods will just waste fuel.
They are like the fire triangle and the proper mix of all variables are essential to optimum tuning.

And that's all I got to say about that....
(Forrest Gump)
Well aware on the air/fuel thing. The previous owner added a free(er) flowing exhaust, K&N filter, and pulled the snorkel, but left the carb alone. I'm quite confident, from the mileage I was getting, and the color of the plugs, that this bike is running lean. Have no qualms about going up one size in the main jet.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #7374
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
After my 688 install (and by the break-in procedure detailed by Wyman) I rode KilLeR with the 14 tooth for about 200 miles with shagged tires. Insanely fun. Truly outstanding running KLR. Had serious fun dogging ghostrider1964's HP2 in some 30's. (CR 1004, 1012, 1011, and FM 51 up by Glen Rose, Texas).

Finished up some doodads and put new shoes on and then put the stock 15 tooth back on. Goodness. I really think I prefer the 14. Everywhere.

It's not (yet) any faster top speed and I couldn't give a damn about fuel mileage and the vibes aren't that bad. Sure give up a lot of hooligan-ness for 700-800 less rpm's in 5th. I was hoping it would pull redline in 5th with the 15 but so far it won't get close.

I'll give it this weekend. Then it is back to the 14.

BTW. My hillbilly "everything but the kitchen sink " front brake upgrade is outstanding. I have a real front brake!!! On a KLR!!
I have played with the 14,15,16 tooth sprockets for a couple of months now and have decided that On a long trip trying to keep RPM's down,not to go faster,the 16 really works,but with the 14 or 15 the motor never feels like its working as hard.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #7375
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Thanks, but was hoping to use a little more finesse than that.

Someone pointed me to a link that explained the process:

http://www.photos.klr650.net/display...bum=775&pos=18

The job is done.

No offense.... but klr650.net is pretty hostile to other sites... if you link to ADV over there they will redirect your links to something else. I have had it done to me. Hence the reason I don't advocate their site... klrworld.com on the other hand is a great site who's owner weighs in on here from time to time. (Actually I think he is on page one of this thread.)

I an not trying to bash anyone... I am sure there are good people overthere.... I just got a bad vibe overthere a while ago and I guess you can say I hold a grudge...:sly:

Good info though...

Rant off...

WP

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #7376
8lives
Dharma Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
No offense.... but klr650.net is pretty hostile to other sites... if you link to ADV over there they will redirect your links to something else. I have had it done to me. Hence the reason I don't advocate their site... klrworld.com on the other hand is a great site who's owner weighs in on here from time to time. (Actually I think he is on page one of this thread.)

I an not trying to bash anyone... I am sure there are good people overthere.... I just got a bad vibe overthere a while ago and I guess you can say I hold a grudge...:sly:

Good info though...

Rant off...

WP

I think they take lessons from the Harley crowd,you know,why have a club,so you can keep people out.Whoops I'll hit my RANT OFF switch also.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:55 AM   #7377
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

KLR650 Only Thread......

I don't join no clubs. No club would have me anyway. ;) But I do go there for info and have got some real good ideas ...and some bad ones, too. But yeah. There is a clique over there. I'm not "in with the in crowd". I don't do what the "in" crowd does. Uhhhh ... Fuck'em and feed'em fish heads.

I'm more comfortable over here. ;)

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #7378
8lives
Dharma Bum

Gosh Slowoldguy I like your style,living it myself often makes people shake their head as they walk away from me,but Ive grown to accept it,that other site is good and I too use it for info and banter,I am really here and other places so I can learn from experience how to keep my KLR and whatever else hobby I have going at the moment maxed out for my idea of fun,to me the net is a convention with lotsa different stuff and I am interested in lotsa stuff.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #7379
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

KLR650 Only Thread......

Yup. I am the same wherever I go. Why would the interwebz be any different? I told my kid growing up, if everybody likes what you're doing.....then you are doing it wrong. ;)
Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #7380
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post

Good info though...

Rant off...

WP

I will bite my tongue about the .net site. Eagle Mike is a great guy and kinda lives over there and I still advocate him every chance I get, other than that it is too snobbish and commercial. A breeding ground for unlicensed shadetree mechanics sell their wares.....