Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #7411
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthyphil View Post
New to the group with an '05 and some simple questions. Maybe someone will point me to the search function but it didn't turn up much for me.

I'm looking for some saddlebag/pannier racks and I have an OCD issue. I'm looking for a rack that holds the bags (soft in my case) equi-distant from the bike. Most of what I have seen, the left side is closer to the bike because the exhaust is on the right so everything appears off center from the rear. I know, OCD. Curious if anyone solved the/my issue.
Just for your consideration, here's Cyclerack's rack with pannier set (saddle bags and expandable top case):

The rig can be "accessorized" to accommodate an auxiliary fuel container inboard of the left saddle bag. The saddle bags hang equidistant from the bike's center line.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:58 AM   #7412
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
Take a look at Packrat-close to centered, strong, and best bang for your buck IMHO

Yep, love mine ...... maybe not the best option for soft bags but symmetrical, plenty of room for a tool tube on the left.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:28 AM   #7413
Dusty_Bottoms
Adventurer Ordinaire

Oddometer: 783
ADVmonster.com for great LED lights. There's a thread for them that has plenty of info.
COHVCO #7369
Dusty_Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #7414
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
I have found LED light prices are all over the place. I bought a 16ft. strip light from China through Pay Pal on eBay for $19.06 free shipping.
I've seen the same item priced as high as $180
from USA vendors. It took 17 days for me to get it but it was worth the wait.
BEFORE YOU BUY check eBay for the same light, priced in the "buy it now". Only pay with pay pal, not as easy to get ripped off.
Go by the amount of lumens the light puts out. I can't see me paying $80 for one of their small lights when they are most likely made in China and marked up 80 percent.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #7415
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
I also leave my seat bolts out,1 time in the pouring rain about 9:00PM,fuses are much easier to get to now!
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #7416
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
I have been considering swapping to a 16T gear. I've also heard that 3 teeth in the rear sprocket is equal to one tooth on the front, so I might just up the rear sprocket a tooth or two for better highway cruising...
I feel that its easier to change the front sprocket,its a lot less stuff to do than if you change the back 1,I do the front by myself pretty quick.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:51 AM   #7417
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Okay, this is a new 2012 klr just got it 3 weeks ago and I have 1200 miles on it. It had 2 when I got it. About 400 miles ago I started to here a noise that sounded like there is a bolt loose that has a washer rattling on it. If you have have ever had a old chevy that had a loose tail pipe that rattles when you gas it, it sounds a lot like that. But it only happens when I'm over 4000 rpm. I took it back to the dealership and the guy said he couldn't here anything(he was kinda busy) , just bring it back if it gets worse. He said it was more than likely my bag or the keys or something.

Has anyone had this noise or know what it may be? The only add on's are crash bars and a settlement seat. And yes everything I installed is tight. I installed everything at 500 miles and have gone back over it. I did check the tension on the chain is well it seems to be within tolerance.

I did get a new helmet two days before I started hearing he noise so I'm not sure if anything is wrong, all klr's may have the noise I'm not sure this is my first klr and first bike.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Bear Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #7418
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,354
When I bought mine new in Dec I noticed the dash rattling. Of course, the dealer.said they all do that.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:16 AM   #7419
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Rattle

I think I might know what you mean. Mine only did that when I really gunned it (accelerated to pass) and only rarely. I think on mine (2002) it was the exhaust. Not sure how or what the mechanism was though... seemed tight when I'm stopped. I'd check the nuts that secure the header to the engine and check to see if there's a leak between the header and slip-on (black soot on pipe). On mine it sounded like exhaust gasses under great pressure escaping maybe? Hasn't happened in a long time...

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #7420
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Well I'm at the point now that I may take the tank and all the plastics off and lock tight all the frame bolts and everything I put back on. I'm not sure though if that'll fix it. I'm thinking it's more of a engine sound but I'm not sure. It's definitely a metallic sound whatever it is.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #7421
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
I think I might know what you mean. Mine only did that when I really gunned it (accelerated to pass) and only rarely. I think on mine (2002) it was the exhaust. Not sure how or what the mechanism was though... seemed tight when I'm stopped. I'd check the nuts that secure the header to the engine and check to see if there's a leak between the header and slip-on (black soot on pipe). On mine it sounded like exhaust gasses under great pressure escaping maybe? Hasn't happened in a long time...
I'll take a look at that and see if that fixes it

Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #7422
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
I also leave my seat bolts out,1 time in the pouring rain about 9:00PM,fuses are much easier to get to now!
Not sure if that is a good idea to ride without the seat properly secured? Having a seat come adrift in an emergency situation can make it a whole lot worse!

The only time I had a fuse go (reason unknown) was on a trip loaded for 2 weeks and about 350 miles from home. Found it and replaced it after removing the camping gear, hard panniers, side covers and seat - on the side of the road. When I got home I re-located the whole fuse assembly fromm under the seat to next to the main fuse behind the plastic cover above the starter. Now, one bolt to take the cover off. No need to remove the side covers unless doing other maintenance
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #7423
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
Okay, this is a new 2012 klr just got it 3 weeks ago and I have 1200 miles on it. It had 2 when I got it. About 400 miles ago I started to here a noise that sounded like there is a bolt loose that has a washer rattling on it. If you have have ever had a old chevy that had a loose tail pipe that rattles when you gas it, it sounds a lot like that. But it only happens when I'm over 4000 rpm. I took it back to the dealership and the guy said he couldn't here anything(he was kinda busy) , just bring it back if it gets worse. He said it was more than likely my bag or the keys or something.

Has anyone had this noise or know what it may be? The only add on's are crash bars and a settlement seat. And yes everything I installed is tight. I installed everything at 500 miles and have gone back over it. I did check the tension on the chain is well it seems to be within tolerance.

I did get a new helmet two days before I started hearing he noise so I'm not sure if anything is wrong, all klr's may have the noise I'm not sure this is my first klr and first bike.

Any help would be great thanks.

Threadlocker blue (Loctite, Permabond or the like) are your friends. As are a set of tools and torque wrench..

Some bikes have an harmonic resonance that sets up at certain revs - mine is at 3k rpm - usually at the lower revs in most. More of a buzz.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #7424
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 10,681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Not sure if that is a good idea to ride without the seat properly secured? Having a seat come adrift in an emergency situation can make it a whole lot worse!
3K miles -- no seat restraining devices at all . . . .the fit of the threaded "ears" in the frame/body work is tight enough that the seat has never budged an iota . . . . .

if it's more than a day trip, I'll have the Ortleibs strapped on, and they will further locate the seat.
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #7425
consolecowboy
n00b

Oddometer: 1
new klr owner and new rider

Hi everyone. After saving every penny for almost a year I got a klr. IM in southern california and looking for easy good practice rides. Any ideas? IM I
n huntington beach.
consolecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote