Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Picked up a KLR last week figured I better subscribe to this thread
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #7427
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,330
Well, I didn't get any responses so I bought a Supertrapp. Had one on a DR650 and liked it.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #7428
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
I think I might know what you mean. Mine only did that when I really gunned it (accelerated to pass) and only rarely. I think on mine (2002) it was the exhaust. Not sure how or what the mechanism was though... seemed tight when I'm stopped. I'd check the nuts that secure the header to the engine and check to see if there's a leak between the header and slip-on (black soot on pipe). On mine it sounded like exhaust gasses under great pressure escaping maybe? Hasn't happened in a long time...
I have a new to me 2004 that I've had for just more than a month. It has the same rattle your describing. Its very noticeable in the high rpms but nonexistent in low rpms. No clue what it's from but as the KLRistas on here say, the bikes are known for it. I've also read a lot about when and where to use loctite and many folks say DONT use it. I've just double checked bolts and screws and have only had issues with my Allen bolts coming out from holding my rack cause im a dummy and never tightened them hard enough...
Double and triple check for tightness. Hopefully its nothing loose or engine work
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #7429
mcpenner
mcpenner

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
Picked up a KLR last week figured I better subscribe to this thread
Welcome. This is a great place to hang out but I advise, ride lots and read less.
mcpenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #7430
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
Welcome. This is a great place to hang out but I advise, ride lots and read less.
Wise advice, I have a 100 mile commute to and from work each day so I will be getting plenty of that in
I have to say I am impressed, I purchased it strictly for a big ride I have planned this fall, and wow what a nice riding well balanced Machine, I can see why it has such a strong following.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:02 PM   #7431
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,116
Anyone gotten sany heavy vibrations in the handlebars coming from the hard front braking??
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #7432
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,301
Check your rotor.
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #7433
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
Check your rotor.
checked that and it looks fine. However i just changed the front and rear pads and the front one that's not on the caliper's piston side it worn down quite a bit and it is also worn down at a very very slight arch... which imo means the disk is bent right...?
Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 AM   #7434
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
checked that and it looks fine. However i just changed the front and rear pads and the front one that's not on the caliper's piston side it worn down quite a bit and it is also worn down at a very very slight arch... which imo means the disk is bent right...?
The far side pads wear quicker as the pistons retract slightly when the pressure is released - the caliper itself that carries the far side slides on pins which might be sticking slightly. If the pad wear is irregular it is probably due to worn or loose hardware - the parts that caliper slides on. Check them.

A vibration or pulsing? Vibration is usually due to something loose. If this has gone on for some time you should be able to see slight waving on the disc surface. Pulsing due to out of parallel disc.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #7435
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
3K miles -- no seat restraining devices at all . . . .the fit of the threaded "ears" in the frame/body work is tight enough that the seat has never budged an iota . . . . .
I have seen and had to pick up far too many people (often in pretty bad shape) in my life and work who confidently had said or rationalized that everything has been fine... only later to find loose or missing parts of machinery or vehicles.

I stand by my caution to never ride with anything loose, clothing, seats, luggage, whatever. Over the last few years gone so far as to refuse to ride with others who dont maintain secure rides. I got tired of accepting responsibility for riders (often many miles from home) who for whatever reason impose on the good will of others to pick them up and take care of their bikes etc when they are not responsible.

It remains, however, your personal call.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 07-10-2013 at 05:21 AM
Old 07-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #7436
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Console and Blurr,

Welcome!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #7437
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
The far side pads wear quicker as the pistons retract slightly when the pressure is released - the caliper itself that carries the far side slides on pins which might be sticking slightly. If the pad wear is irregular it is probably due to worn or loose hardware - the parts that caliper slides on. Check them.

A vibration or pulsing? Vibration is usually due to something loose. If this has gone on for some time you should be able to see slight waving on the disc surface. Pulsing due to out of parallel disc.
Makes a lot of sense about the two pads thank you! i always thought the piston side should wear faster but now that you described it, makes perfect sense!

As for the disc not parallel, i took it off and looked at it and it looks flat. I ordered another caliper (from Ebay) so hopefully it will help! Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #7438
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,790
I hope not to open a can of worms here but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
Okay, this is a new 2012 klr just got it 3 weeks ago and I have 1200 miles on it. It had 2 when I got it. About 400 miles ago I started to here a noise that sounded like there is a bolt loose that has a washer rattling on it. If you have have ever had a old chevy that had a loose tail pipe that rattles when you gas it, it sounds a lot like that. But it only happens when I'm over 4000 rpm. I took it back to the dealership and the guy said he couldn't here anything(he was kinda busy) , just bring it back if it gets worse. He said it was more than likely my bag or the keys or something.

Has anyone had this noise or know what it may be? The only add on's are crash bars and a settlement seat. And yes everything I installed is tight. I installed everything at 500 miles and have gone back over it. I did check the tension on the chain is well it seems to be within tolerance.

I did get a new helmet two days before I started hearing he noise so I'm not sure if anything is wrong, all klr's may have the noise I'm not sure this is my first klr and first bike.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
...this sounds a lot like what I was experiencing awhile back.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710423

I never found the problem or resolution to it, I tore my bike apart many times over and went over it with a fine toothed comb. Adjusted, rerouted and tweaked many things, noise never went away. Bike always ran great but very annoying. I never tore into the motor beyond checking the valve adjustment, anything that may have been disturbed by doing the doo, rechecked all of the work I did. Nobody has touched my bike but me regarding any repairs or maintenece. Ive been into the carb trying different sized jets and settings. I finally just accepted it and lived with it until something broke. Nothing ever broke and this year the noise hasn't been present at all. Noise started at approx. 10K went away at 33K. I turned 38K this morning so for the 5K ridden this year so far, the noise has gone away. No reason for the noise or reason for it going away. I also removed all of my add ons while trying to sort this out, made no difference.

Stay on your dealer to resolve it if it persists and make sure it gets documented whenever you go in to have it addressed. I wish I new what the problem with mine was and beleive it was/is something mechanical.
Sorry I can't offer anymore input other than my own frustrations with mine. I'm glad it's gone but would feel better if I know what it was.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #7439
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Shroud screws cause that a lot. I had that issue and it drove me nuts. Finally I found the nut on the triple tree head bolt was loose (hiding under the handlebars). A little loctite and all is good. It sure was frustrating though until I finally found it !
Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #7440
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
Okay, this is a new 2012 klr just got it 3 weeks ago and I have 1200 miles on it. It had 2 when I got it. About 400 miles ago I started to here a noise that sounded like there is a bolt loose that has a washer rattling on it. If you have have ever had a old chevy that had a loose tail pipe that rattles when you gas it, it sounds a lot like that. But it only happens when I'm over 4000 rpm. I took it back to the dealership and the guy said he couldn't here anything(he was kinda busy) , just bring it back if it gets worse. He said it was more than likely my bag or the keys or something.

Has anyone had this noise or know what it may be? The only add on's are crash bars and a settlement seat. And yes everything I installed is tight. I installed everything at 500 miles and have gone back over it. I did check the tension on the chain is well it seems to be within tolerance.

I did get a new helmet two days before I started hearing he noise so I'm not sure if anything is wrong, all klr's may have the noise I'm not sure this is my first klr and first bike.

Any help would be great thanks.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

check your exhaust head pipe cover. I had that noise and realized the bolts that hold the cover down were really loose so it made the whole cover rattle... i got new screws, washer and some Loctite and never happened again.