Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #7441
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Im confused about Loctite. Some swear by it others protest to it. Similar to the "how to lube/maintain your chain" dilemma. I've never used it but I have some. Does it basically glue the scews/bolts into the thread? Or just seals up any gaps that are in there....

Apologies for such a silly question
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #7442
WildmanSam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Im confused about Loctite. Some swear by it others protest to it. Similar to the "how to lube/maintain your chain" dilemma. I've never used it but I have some. Does it basically glue the scews/bolts into the thread? Or just seals up any gaps that are in there....

Apologies for such a silly question
red loctite is more of a "glue" and is designed for bolts that aren't meant to be removed. blue loctite is less strong but ensures that the bolt does not back out under vibrations.

i use blue on most everything on my bike. the people who "protest" probably abide to the rational that "if properly torqued" a bolt should not loosen. well, i ride in extreme situations and having some extra insurance over my bike falling apart on the trail is good enough reason to use it.
WildmanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #7443
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
a dab of blue will do,if one thinks it wont vibrate when torqued just feel the vibes of the bike as you ride,a small dab of blue saves you the time spent replacing missing fasteners.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #7444
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Sold!!

And I've had to replace several already. Some weren't on the bike when I got it to begin with but some have fallen out. I almost lost my rear rack (empty at least) down the road one time. And as grassroots said aint nothin' wrong with a little insurance =]
Old 07-10-2013, 06:20 PM   #7445
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
check your exhaust head pipe cover. I had that noise and realized the bolts that hold the cover down were really loose so it made the whole cover rattle... i got new screws, washer and some Loctite and never happened again.
As I'm started taking my bike apart to find the rattle I'm standing there sweating all over the place and it dawned on me, why don't I just take the bike inside.... It's not like there's anyone home to stop me.... After all, nobody would want me to get a heat stroke(I live in Texas) or anything.

So yeah this is me about to disassemble my bike. I have 6 hours to Loctite anything and everything that might cause the rattle clean up and get it back in the garage before I get caught. I think it can be done I will keep you all updated.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Bear Archer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #7446
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post

As I'm started taking my bike apart to find the rattle I'm standing there sweating all over the place and it dawned on me, why don't I just take the bike inside.... It's not like there's anyone home to stop me.... After all, nobody would want me to get a heat stroke(I live in Texas) or anything.

So yeah this is me about to disassemble my bike. I have 6 hours to Loctite anything and everything that might cause the rattle clean up and get it back in the garage before I get caught. I think it can be done I will keep you all updated.

Did that once when I was a kid,Honda50 was the bike,it was snowing outside and damn I needed to change the oil oh and watch TV too,new carpet,old oil,dumb kid what a mess I made,couldnt fix that spill before the parents got home,its funny when I saw you bike in the house all was cool cause you put plastic down.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #7447
Bear Archer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8lives View Post
Did that once when I was a kid,Honda50 was the bike,it was snowing outside and damn I needed to change the oil oh and watch TV too,new carpet,old oil,dumb kid what a mess I made,couldnt fix that spill before the parents got home,its funny when I saw you bike in the house all was cool cause you put plastic down.
I've had a little practice with this sort of thing. My last place was all mine(before I got a boss) so I would rebuild all sorts of stuff on the kitchen table, it's was a really good work surface. It's not like I ever had dinner there or anything. But now I have to be a little more secretive and clean.

Bear Archer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #7448
Stephen_m64
n00b AdvRider

Oddometer: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Archer View Post
I've had a little practice with this sort of thing. My last place was all mine(before I got a boss) so I would rebuild all sorts of stuff on the kitchen table, it's was a really good work surface. It's not like I ever had dinner there or anything. But now I have to be a little more secretive and clean.

This weekend I'm going to be doing something similar since I don't have a garage. Going to pull the bike into the living room and do all the work I can on it in one fell swoop.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #7449
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
WTB New Gen head pipe

Any of you new generation guys have a factory take off head pipe, you'd like to part with? If so, please PM info.

Thanks,

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #7450
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassroots View Post
red loctite is more of a "glue" and is designed for bolts that aren't meant to be removed. blue loctite is less strong but ensures that the bolt does not back out under vibrations.

i use blue on most everything on my bike. the people who "protest" probably abide to the rational that "if properly torqued" a bolt should not loosen. well, i ride in extreme situations and having some extra insurance over my bike falling apart on the trail is good enough reason to use it.
The properly torqued simply does not fly, there is a reason Track bikes are required to have safety wireing, as noted vibrations can play havoc, I love locktite, just a little dab as well
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #7451
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
The properly torqued simply does not fly, there is a reason Track bikes are required to have safety wireing, as noted vibrations can play havoc, I love locktite, just a little dab as well
So where do you place the dab? On the screw itself? In the threads?

Also, when you go to remove said bolt/screw later on, do they have a tendency to shear off or get stripped?? How much more difficult are they to remove?

Appreciate all you Master Jedis school in this new kid btw
Old 07-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #7452
AK650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:

Also, when you go to remove said bolt/screw later on, do they have a tendency to shear off or get stripped?? How much more difficult are they to remove?

With the blue, they remove just find with hand tools. With the red, you may have to apply a little heat to the fastener(so long as it doesn't pose a risk of fire or damage to surrounding material), or in lieu of heat, an impact tool.

Jeff
AK650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:50 PM   #7453
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
The red is indeed stronger than the blue but I have had no issues pulling screws out of either. I use the red for screws I don't plan on removing and Blue on legally all the rest. But even with the red, I can remove the screws without any special rules.
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #7454
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Ok good to know, thanks. I ask because I've sheared 3-4 trying to unscrew a few before. Probably just age and rust. I've looked over a lot of them.since and they look about the same condition. And it makes me uneasy to attempt working on anything if everyone I pull.out breaks off. Guess I just gotta try
Old 07-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #7455
TheBlurr
Banned

Oddometer: 5,588
Quote:

Just a dab on the screw threads, then u can unscrew when u want, to much can b a problem to remove, anytime u run into a bolt that u cannot remove ad heat via a torch.
TheBlurr is offline   Reply With Quote