Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 AM   #7546
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Went to a friends who is very smart with motorcycles to install my chain and both sprockets today. It went way easier than I imagined. I basically did it.all my self too which was awesome. He just gave me pointers, frimded off the old chain and I took care of mostly everything else. Im very happy. Got a new 15t front and 43t rear and an x ring chain. No issues with the installation or putting the cover on for the counter sprocket. Those wires up front are VERY tiny and I can understand how people can pinch them or get them disconnected.
Most occupations attempt to surround themselves in an exclusive mystery. "Factory trained technicians..." etc. Lift the curtain and most activity is simple. A little method and routine, mostly logical steps. Glad you are gaining confidence.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #7547
Whiskeyridr
BRRRRAPP!!!!

Oddometer: 58
Future owner!!

Been a lurker for a while know gathering as much knowledge as possible for my hopefully near future purchase of a KLR650!! just wanted to put my face out there know and keep learning about this amazing machine!!!!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #7548
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barteldoo View Post
Been a lurker for a while know gathering as much knowledge as possible for my hopefully near future purchase of a KLR650!! just wanted to put my face out there know and keep learning about this amazing machine!!!!
RED ALERT, Barteldoo!

Stand by for impassioned admonitions from certain forum members, demanding you acquire a DR instead!

These counter-proposals usually occur within three posts of indicating interest in KLRs.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #7549
8lives
Dharma Bum

Oddometer: 1,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Most occupations attempt to surround themselves in an exclusive mystery. "Factory trained technicians..." etc. Lift the curtain and most activity is simple. A little method and routine, mostly logical steps. Glad you are gaining confidence.
I agree,I'm an ok wrencher,more comfortable working on my own stuff than other peoples bikes,the guy that I spent my teenage years with would always tell me"if someone else can figuire out how to fix it so can you,just go slow,make notes and pay attention"with that I was able to get past the fear of it and now days with the net and forums such as this guys like us have many knowlegable resources for help.
8lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #7550
deadzed
Meat Popscicle

Oddometer: 90
maybe I'll get offroad now

A friend just gave me his 2008 KLR. It's partially dismantled, but as near as I can tell everything's there. he was in the process of making some lighting changes & installing a stainless fastener kit when he inherited a V-Rod & lost interest in the KLR. It had sat in his garage for over a year & when he moved recently he called me & asked if I would take it off his hands. The tires are brand spankin' new, there's a new wider-than-stock seat still in the plastic & a new chain that hasn't been installed. He said the Doo hasn't been done, but the associated gasket set is there with the other uninstalled parts. Fork brace & HID headlights are installed.

I'm no more than a garage tinkerer, but I'm really looking forward to giving her some love & getting her back on the road.

My Concours sucks for summer riding & anything but pavement is right out.

Thank you all for the info that I've already gleaned from this thread & I look forward to picking your brains some more along the way.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #7551
Whiskeyridr
BRRRRAPP!!!!

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
RED ALERT, Barteldoo!

Stand by for impassioned admonitions from certain forum members, demanding you acquire a DR instead!

These counter-proposals usually occur within three posts of indicating interest in KLRs.
I shall stick by my guns and fight!!!! ive seen many videos, and how to of almost every mod!!! Im sucked in to the world of KLR!!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #7552
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzed View Post
A friend just gave me his 2008 KLR. It's partially dismantled, but as near as I can tell everything's there. he was in the process of making some lighting changes & installing a stainless fastener kit when he inherited a V-Rod & lost interest in the KLR. It had sat in his garage for over a year & when he moved recently he called me & asked if I would take it off his hands. The tires are brand spankin' new, there's a new wider-than-stock seat still in the plastic & a new chain that hasn't been installed. He said the Doo hasn't been done, but the associated gasket set is there with the other uninstalled parts. Fork brace & HID headlights are installed.

I'm no more than a garage tinkerer, but I'm really looking forward to giving her some love & getting her back on the road.

Thank you all for the info that I've already gleaned from this thread & I look forward to picking your brains some more along the way.
You scored!!!! (Watch your oil)
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #7553
Paratrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:

I've got an 08 myself and I love it to death. You're going to really enjoy that bike, even more so becuase it was free. I'm no mechanic but the KLR is simple enough that with a Clymer manual, the folks here and some common sense you can work through most problems.

If it's already apart, maybe do the 685 kit? It will likely take care of the oil comsumption issues common to that year model. Good luck on your build.

You should post some pics of your progress so we all can see how it turns out.

2008 KLR 650
Paratrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #7554
deadzed
Meat Popscicle

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiBumBrian View Post
You scored!!!! (Watch your oil)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrout View Post
I've got an 08 myself and I love it to death. You're going to really enjoy that bike, even more so becuase it was free. I'm no mechanic but the KLR is simple enough that with a Clymer manual, the folks here and some common sense you can work through most problems.

If it's already apart, maybe do the 685 kit? It will likely take care of the oil comsumption issues common to that year model. Good luck on your build.

You should post some pics of your progress so we all can see how it turns out.
Thanks! I'm pretty damn giddy about the whole thing.
It's mostly still together. The tank, seat, cowl & plastics are off of it. brake calipers, & exhaust are either off or loose. There's some weird stuff going on with the wiring. I assume that's a result of the HID lights & the LEDs he was planning to install in the rear.

685 kit seems like a good way to go.
I'll be sure to post pics and ask too many questions.

Wheeeeeeeee!
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 PM   #7555
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Slowly but surely gaining confidence. I really want to tackle the doo hickey next... That will be a huge accomplishment
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #7556
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
Slowly but surely gaining confidence. I really want to tackle the doo hickey next... That will be a huge accomplishment
This is what I used for a guide along with the Clymer's when I did it. No problems at all.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html
sdd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:08 PM   #7557
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
This is what I used for a guide along with the Clymer's when I did it. No problems at all.

http://www.klr650.marknet.us/doohickey.html

Thanks! I watched a few how to videos before I even bought my KLR. I think it's time tip watch some again to refresh my brain cells.

The biggest projects I've done to my bike so far is an oil change and new sprockets/chain. So completing the Doo would be such a huge and victorious W
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #7558
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
I should pay some attention to this thread. I have one of the original '08s and it was an oil burner, that is before I blew up the engine (it began with cracking the left exhaust cam cap). So it currently sports a re-done cylinder and head (I didn't go 685, I went 658 - lower stress I guess), and a bottom end from an '07. I've done all the work myself, except the head and cylinder work, and you guys are right - the engine is about as simple as a farm implement.

One of the handiest tools for high torque nuts like the flywheel nut, and especially the drive sprocket nut, is an impact wrench. I have an 18 volt half inch drive Milwaukee cordless unit that's dandy for breaking those things loose. you still need the "tool" for tightening the flywheel nut to its proper torque. And a big torque wrench helps there too.

Bassplay, when you do the "doo" watch out if you pull the doohickey shaft out that you don't let the spacer (looks like a thick washer) fall down into the engine. Make sure its back where its supposed to be before you put everything back together.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:54 PM   #7559
dumbazz650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
A friend just gave me his 2008 KLR. It's partially dismantled, but as near as I can tell everything's there. he was in the process of making some lighting changes & installing a stainless fastener kit when he inherited a V-Rod & lost interest in the KLR. It had sat in his garage for over a year & when he moved recently he called me & asked if I would take it off his hands. The tires are brand spankin' new, there's a new wider-than-stock seat still in the plastic & a new chain that hasn't been installed. He said the Doo hasn't been done, but the associated gasket set is there with the other uninstalled parts. Fork brace & HID headlights are installed. .

No doubt about it, I gotta get me some better friends.
dumbazz650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #7560
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
And you know, you don't really need to do the doo on the new gen bikes, the stock doo is pretty sturdy. You might want to change the spring but even then I think too much spring tension is not good for these engines. When you tension the doo it forces an idler wheel on the balancer chain back closer to the engine case, and there's not a lot of clearance there to start with. No sense in prematurely stretching the balancer chain and getting it to start grinding into the case by putting a mondo spring on the doo. Those torsion springs? I don't think so. They seem to me (and I had one in briefly) to be a solution looking for (and to cause) a problem. If the engine is not vibrating unduly I'd put the doo job on the back burner.

But everyone does them, it's like a rite of passage, and doing the job is an education. So, check out your doohickey.

BTW Rocky Mountain ATV/MC is a good place to get KLR parts online, if that's not 205.