Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #7591
Whitebread117
I do what I want

Oddometer: 456
There are a number of 100,000 mile bikes with stock doohickeys. That is the only weak link and it's not even a guaranteed failure. Fix that early and for my money the KLR will outlast most any other big single out there. 42k on my 99 with no mechanical mods other than doohickey upgrage (at 28k miles) and it's just now hitting its' stride

The downside of KLRs on forums is they are hammer/anvil simple so folks are often looking for cheap/easy upgrades and improvements. Buy in is quite cheap and a lot of folks like to tinker/modify to make the bike their own. Many of those "fixes" will improve comfort and/or enjoyment of bike. Very few will offer true reliability improvement, because for the most part these are stone reliable bikes.
Whitebread117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM   #7592
KustomizingKid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
34k and it has never stranded me... And I feel confident enough that I am roding it to Panama this winter. I would have to say that for a thumper there are probably more high mile KLR's than any other.

I will also say it is dirt cheap to fix basically anything.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #7593
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbazz650 View Post
Yes, can see the image. Caliper looks bent.
Thought so too... thanks for the response. Just wanted to make sure i wasn't going crazy.

Cheers!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #7594
dumbazz650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by y0y02369 View Post
Thought so too... thanks for the response.
Cheers!
Whats the dealio with the original, rusted up and wont easily slide on the pins?
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 AM   #7595
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
installed my happy trails res/rad guard, skid plate and highway pegs. Took longer than expected but I like the outcome. Had to trim the inside part of my front fender due to the radiator guard preventing the wheel to turn left and right fully. Just a 1/4 inch or so. Doesn't affect the look any.

Excited to ride tomorrow. Going with a friend about 140miles round trip. Get to put the.highway pegs to use. And I've finally added a milk crate to my rack, so now I can carry tools and emergency items with me without a backpack. I got a small jack in there as well and there is still room for more.

Very happy
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #7596
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlurr View Post
I purchased a KLR was they were supposed to be bullet proof, now I understand all mechanical items can fail, . . .
I think there are 3 reasons that you're finding more information about problems:
  1. There are many bikes with reputations for high reliability. But go to forums where the owners collect and you'll find that they're discussing repairs and problems. Same is true for any bike out there. One example of this with my CX500D. You'll find praise for its reliability in ANY mention on this forum, but go to a CX forum and you'll find people dealing with burnt stators, dead ignitions, and leaky pump seals. The CX is a very reliable bike, but it is no more perfect than the KLR.
  2. Manufacturers of aftermarket parts will tell you that you will be stranded unless you buy their whatchacallit, gizmo, or guard. Some riders are convinced and add lots of aftermarket parts. Since they've spent the money the riders will also say the parts are required for the kind of riding they do.
  3. Pre-purchase research is usually about several models and reading people's general recommendations. Post-purchase research is focused on one model and what changes to make for comfort, convenience, and reliability. Starting to look at the detail shows more people making more changes (some required, some not, see #2).

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 AM   #7597
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Oddometer: 1,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush pilot View Post
I figured I'd post this here where the serious KLR'istas post.
Anyway I'm on reserve, virtually in sight of my destination, with plenty of fuel by my reckoning, having run the bike far dryer before.
So suddenly a pop from the exhaust and shutdown, I immediately pull the clutch and shut her off to not run her bone dry. I do the lean over reserve and try to restart, no joy.
Anyway Jesus saves me and an Evangelical stops and tows me into the next town 10kms away and a hotel I already know. I try to jump start the bike in second gear while being towed and wouldn't go! Fuel blockage me thinks.

I'll check it out manana. BTW this is from San Francisco Argentina.
Cheers,

Any eyedeers! The first thing I thought is fuel blockage, but then again I'm still using the vacuum fuel valve and have no idea how that works.
Several observations.

It is not wise to tow a KLR for long distances. The reason is that the countershaft is pressure lubricated when the motor runs only. The oil pump pumps oil to 4 places - crankshaft, head/cams and 2 places in the transmission/countershaft. Best is to remove the chain.

There is a small drain at the bottom of the carb float bowl. Small allen key opens it. If gas comes out it is not a gas issue.

Low fuel does not usually stop with a pop but a series of hesitations. Take the sparkplug out and tell us what you see.
Tsotsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #7598
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpenner View Post
most of the time we just ride. Only come here when there is a problem and i need the generous help of the others on here. This means the millions of trouble free miles are under reported.
+1!!

50k miles and counting - never left me on the side of the road, be it in Mexico 4X, Wyoming, Montana, Jasper Alberta, BC, Nova Scotia or on the 4+ trips to VA, and States in between and all from TX.

Tsotsie screwed with this post 07-18-2013 at 05:23 AM
Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 AM   #7599
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
. Going with a friend about 140miles round trip.
That should be enough tojust warm the oil up enough before starting a good ride !
Old 07-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #7600
GO_OUTSIDE!
dirty hippie

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Interesting thread, one of the reasons I purchased a KLR was they were supposed to be bullet proof, now I understand all mechanical items can fail, which is another reason I picked this bike, for its simplicity, yet reading thru the thread it seems they are just one grenade after another, where is this rock solid dependability I heard about? Bit of an exaggeration?
I had the same question recently and the answer was, relaibility is relevant, what are you comparing it to. I dont have any first hand knowledge of other 650cc dual sports so I cant speak to that. But if you are comparing it to any japanese i4 street bike... no it is not the reliable choice.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #7601
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
That should be enough tojust warm the oil up enough before starting a good ride !
hahahaha. Yea well, small steps for me. I've done 80-90 round trips in a day so far. Working my way up slowly but surely
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #7602
Tsotsie
Semi-reformed Tsotsi

There is no such thing as a 'bullet proof' bike - tribal, myth. All makes and all models have some issues.

Read other threads such as http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636395 ,as an example, of a bike considered 'bulletproof'. There are thousands of pages on that model alone on other threads too, as there are on KLR's. Both are great bikes.

The best defense or needed atributes are what is between the ears of the owner. We encourage riders to work on their bikes, learn their needs and address them. Most are simple and can be kept reliable with the minimum of tools and knowledge.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:22 AM   #7603
SkiBumBrian
DualSport Crazy !!

Oddometer: 1,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
All depends on what that 140 miles is on and how you ride it! Did 210 the other day, mostly dirt, fast paced and I sure slept well that night and sore the next day.....
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #7604
fleshpiston
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Quote:
Interesting thread, one of the reasons I purchased a KLR was they were supposed to be bullet proof, now I understand all mechanical items can fail, which is another reason I picked this bike, for its simplicity, yet reading thru the thread it seems they are just one grenade after another, where is this rock solid dependability I heard about? Bit of an exaggeration?

Nobody gets on the internet to bitch about how reliable their bike is.

KLR650
fleshpiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #7605
sh1bby69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshpiston View Post
Nobody gets on the internet to bitch about how reliable their bike is.

+1

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2