Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #7801
Rode2Nowhere
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenveins View Post
I currently have the stock windshield on my 2013 KLR650 but would like to change it to one that would give me more protection from the wind. I'm 6'2" and the stock windshield doesn't seem to block any of the wind from hitting me right in the face. There are several different brands that say they have the windshield I need. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ROGUERIDER View Post
I have a 2012 and am 6'3. I got the madstad adjustable. works great! I went with the 20".
Yes. Madstad is the best shield out there. Had one on my '08 when I had it. Pricey... and worth every red cent.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.6517/.f
IBA #45896
Adirondack Tags
Rode2Nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #7802
Woodenveins
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 477
Thanks, Like the madstad adjustable but still undecided between it and the Happy Trails Rallye http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ra...m-KLR650E.aspx. The rallye provides a dash for mounting things like GPS, cig lighter, etc, but then again the madstad is adjustable to get it just right. I wonder if there is any available dash space under the madstad windshield?
P.S. Also thought about the possibility of adding the Zero Gravity Double Bubble to the Rallye and how it would affect the wind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsotsie View Post
Laminar Lip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ROGUERIDER View Post
I have a 2012 and am 6'3. I got the madstad adjustable. works great! I went with the 20".
Woodenveins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:28 AM   #7803
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodenveins View Post
Thanks, Like the madstad adjustable but still undecided between it and the Happy Trails Rallye http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/Ra...m-KLR650E.aspx. The rallye provides a dash for mounting things like GPS, cig lighter, etc, but then again the madstad is adjustable to get it just right. I wonder if there is any available dash space under the madstad windshield?
P.S. Also thought about the possibility of adding the Zero Gravity Double Bubble to the Rallye and how it would affect the wind.
Madstad.....if you want a larger windscreen its the only way to go.
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #7804
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Oddometer: 9,339
Wink Speedometer Gone South for the Winter

All

Couple of days ago, my 05 KLR sat in a Biblical rainstorm for about 2 hours. That night, the speedometer needle started to jerk back and forth just a touch (maybe 5MPH on with side of the"real" speed."

This behavior increased until yesterday, when it stopped reading altogether, that is, the needle rests on the stop no matter the speed I'm tavelling and the odometer registers about a tenth of a mile every 100 miles.

This sure seems like clasic spedometer failure to me, but I wanted to make certain there wasn't some otherworldly KLR gris gris that could be banished by turning around three times and spitting.

Should I just start ahunting eBay for a new (to me) instrument cluster? Is Vapor the way to go (given the prices, Vapor is vary attractive).

thanks!
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.

bomber60015 screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 01:14 PM
bomber60015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #7805
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber60015 View Post
All

Coupleof days ago, the speedometer needle on my 05 KLR started jerk back and forth just a touch (maybe 5MPH on with side of the"real" speed."

This behavior increased until yesterday, when it stopped reading altogether, that is, the needle rests on the stop no matter the speed I'm tavelling and the odometer registers about a tenth of a mile every 100 miles.

THis sure seems like clasic spedometer failure to me, but I wanted to make certain there wasn't some otherworldly KLR gris gris that could be banished by turning around three times and spitting.

Should I just start ahunting eBay for a new (to me) instrucment cluster?

thanks!
Check the tabs on the washer type thing in the speedo housing on the wheel,they get bent and fail to engage.

Whether I'm 12 or whether I'm 64, spend my time like there ain't gonna be no more. (MONTROSE...MAKE IT LAST)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #7806
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
All

Coupleof days ago, the speedometer needle on my 05 KLR started jerk back and forth just a touch (maybe 5MPH on with side of the"real" speed."

THis sure seems like clasic spedometer failure to me, but I wanted to make certain there wasn't some otherworldly KLR gris gris that could be banished by turning around three times and spitting.

Should I just start ahunting eBay for a new (to me) instrucment cluster?

thanks!
I've found KLR tachometers sensitive to battery voltage (e.g., terminal connections), but--the speedometer and odometer sppear straightforward mechanical.

You may be suffering from the dread, "bent wings phenomenon" of the winged washer connecting the front hub drive to the speedometer cable. If the wings are bent (usually from improper reassembly of front hub, don't ask me how I know this), only partial speedometer cable drive contact may occur, resulting in insufficient speedometer reading and low odometer registry. (Solution; flatten winged washer and insure wings are installed in their proper slots upon reassembly.)

Another possibility, the hub end of the speedometer cable is FORKED; this split end must straddle a drive tab to turn appropriately with the drive mechanism.

To check your speedometer and odometer functionally, disconnect speedometer cable at hub; chuck cable end in COUNTERCLOCKWISE drill; insure cable penetrates speedometer housing fully and spin up the drill. Both speedometer needle and odometer should register from the rotating drill chuck.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 07-28-2013 at 01:44 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #7807
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Question

Thanks for the immediate replies folks -- I am familiar with teh tab issue, and that isn't it.

Again, Friday, the needle starting jerking . . over the weekend, the jerking got worse. Today, it doesn't move at all. The odometer reads about a tenth of a mile after travelling 100 miles.

tested with the drill, no motion in the speedo housing.

Doesn't sound like tabs in the sending unit to me . . . you?

I thought the speedo was purely mechanical as well as the odo . . . .
"Here is your country. Cherish these natural wonders, cherish the natural resources, cherish the history and romance as a sacred heritage, for your children and your children's children. Do not let selfish men or greedy interests skin your country of its beauty, its riches or its romance. T.R.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 PM   #7808
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,871
Quote:
I thought the speedo was purely mechanical as well as the odo . . . .
You're correct; the TACHOMETER is sensitive to battery voltage, not the speedometer.

Previous post edited.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #7809
0theories
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
All

Couple of days ago, my 05 KLR sat in a Biblical rainstorm for about 2 hours. That night, the speedometer needle started to jerk back and forth just a touch (maybe 5MPH on with side of the"real" speed."

This sure seems like clasic spedometer failure to me, but I wanted to make certain there wasn't some otherworldly KLR gris gris that could be banished by turning around three times and spitting.

Should I just start ahunting eBay for a new (to me) instrument cluster? Is Vapor the way to go (given the prices, Vapor is vary attractive).

thanks!
Since it's both the speedometer and odometer (plus tripometer I bet), I would think it's the cable (connections?). If it was just the speedometer (electronic control I think) or odometer (manual cable control) they may be different issues. Both indicates some sort of cable issue (maybe at the instrument cluster and not the wheel). My speedometer went out but the odometer and tripometer worked just fine. Diagnosis: the actual cluster. I got the TT vapor. It's awesome and not too complicated to wire...

Edit: When my speedometer went, it read random numbers. I could be going 20 and it would say 70. I could be going 55 and it would say 31 or 0 or 90... the odometer was dead on as always.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #7810
bomber60015
Anatomically Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0theories View Post
Since it's both the speedometer and odometer (plus tripometer I bet), I would think it's the cable (connections?). If it was just the speedometer (electronic control) or odometer (manual cable control) they may be different issues. Both indicates some sort of cable issue (maybe at the instrument cluster and not the wheel). My speedometer went out but the odometer and tripometer worked just fine. Diagnosis: the actual cluster. I got the TT vapor. It's awesome and not too complicated to wire...

Got it -- seems the speedometer is electronic? an,d yessir, odo and trip meeter both FUBARed.

the cable is connected, cleaned (this afternoon) and spins with the wheel . . . .

strange . . . . .

Given the Vapor is so much less money that even used instrument clusters, I'll likely go that way.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #7811
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiebullet View Post
I'm very happy with the service from A Vicious Cycle, though I will say that in the future I'll be doing all my ordering over the phone, and not over the website. It's hard to offer good customer service if you're not actually speaking with the customer.

It shouldn't have to be that way to get good service. You can still provide good service without speaking to the customer.

If I go to a vendor's website, point and click my way through their online store, place an order and pay for it immediately, does that give them carte blanche to send me whatever the hell they want? I ordered parts for a kawasaki, and here I am looking at parts for a v-strom. When I called to point out the error, and to arrange to send the parts back, they said it was my fault. I've been online shopping for 10 years. I shouldn't have to call a store, when they're open, in my timezone, to order a part that can easily be ordered via their online store, and paid in full at my convenience.

They have a history of sending people the wrong parts and not taking them back.

dualsportplus.ca for all your Canadian parts needs - and for the record, I've never spoken to anyone there, ever, and have always received exactly what I ordered, in a timely fashion.

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #7812
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 AM   #7813
Old Kiwi#99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Got it -- seems the speedometer is electronic? an,d yessir, odo and trip meeter both FUBARed.

the cable is connected, cleaned (this afternoon) and spins with the wheel . . . .

strange . . . . .

Given the Vapor is so much less money that even used instrument clusters, I'll likely go that way.
FYI speedo is mechanical in that it has a rotating magnet driven by the cable, and a fairly close fitting (but not touching) cup over the magnet. As the magnet roates, magnetic force tries to drag the cup along. The sppedo needle is attached to the cup. A coiled spring (think clock escapement) resists the cup turning. One problem I have encountered (in my past life as an auto mechanic) is oil migrates up the cable, into the speedo and fills the gap between the magnet and cup. In this case the speedo goes to full scale deflection as soon as the vehicle moves.
OTOH the odometer has a direct mechanical connection with the drive cable - if the cable turns, mileage accumlates.

(and if you think this is a odd arrangement, I suggest you research the Smiths-Jaeger Chronometric type speedos that were used on old British bikes (eg 1950's)

The only thing I could think of that would cause your problem would be the cable inner making intermittent connection with the drive up at the speedo end but it appears you've already ruled that out.
Old Kiwi#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 AM   #7814
Grinnin
Forever N00b

Oddometer: 2,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Kiwi#99 View Post
The only thing I could think of that would cause your problem would be the cable inner making intermittent connection with the drive up at the speedo end but it appears you've already ruled that out.
I kept thinking "broken cable" as I read all the reports and replies. Have you tried to get the cable out of the housing? There's a chance it's in 2 pieces and the top piece moves intermittently.

I've seen the swinging needle (original symptom) from oil and from simple bearing wear (on high-mileage '70s bikes). Once you have some interference it starts to put more stress on the cable itself.

There are plenty of reasons to get a Vapor, but I've always been able to repair speedometers, odometers, and trip meters.

Grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 AM   #7815
Whiskeyridr
BRRRRAPP!!!!

Oddometer: 58
So ive been looking for a KLR and found a 2011 Black KLR with 3700mi on the clock and is in very good condition, hes asking $3500 does that sound like a good deal too yall??