User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #781
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,104
Yep ..

.. my '06 does the same thing .. fear not .. it's over there on the right side ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalKLRRiderGhost View Post
Hey Guys! first time post here, had a quick question, just got back from a ride in the mountains on my 2011 KLR, has about +300 miles on it, was on my way back and ran out of juice, had to switch to the reserve, I got to the gas station with 177 miles on the odometer since the last fill and when I filled the tank I only put 4.3 gallons in, Reserve is, according to the manual, 0.5 gallons. So am I missing a gallon? (haha not literally) or am I just missing something else, if the reserve was 1.5 gallons, that would make more sense, but I couldn't figure it out.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Bottoms View Post
and the non-petcock side of the tank holds fuel you can't get to unless you practically lay the bike over to let it slosh over to the fuel pickup
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #782
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
I have a fully modded 685, etc etc, I get 365kms before having to switch to reserve, now not knowing the exact conversion to miles, 300miles sound not too far off but better than me.....no? And yes....the fuel is hanging around on the right side.....lol You could modify the petcock IF you really wanted to, but it only changes the amount you have in reserve. I prefer to keep as much in reserve for those just in case situations when I forget to top her up and have to relyon the reserve to get me to the nearest gas station.

But many do adjust their petcocks ......the hieght of the screen by cutting down the brass tube so the screen drinks more before reserve.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #783
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. my '06 does the same thing .. fear not .. it's over there on the right side ..
While you're riding down the road you can jerk the bike back and forth to swash some of that fuel to the other side. I've done it and it works
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #784
schaffer40
I look lived in.....

Oddometer: 375
@willys-your 365kms=226miles

socalghostrider has 300miles on the bike, and got 177 miles on the last tank to reserve, which seems low. Unless he was really hammering it??

Punk Rock Changed My Life- The Minutemen
schaffer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #785
jp68
JP

Oddometer: 123
Just purchased a new 2011 KLR650, pick it up this Saturday.... I guess I've joined the club...

Getting ready to set it up for an Alaskan tour this summer...
jp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #786
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Yessir ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
While you're riding down the road you can jerk the bike back and forth to swash some of that fuel to the other side. I've done it and it works
.. yeah it does .. I find myself doing it reflexively now when I get to about 200 miles ..

.. but I have another plan too .. there's a guy who did a really kewl mod using an in-tank aviation fuel filter and some fuel line to mod his petcock and fuel use/intake .. with his mod the fuel is used from the right side first and then flipping to reserve gets the fuel out of the left .. makes full use of the tank ..

.. I have the parts .. just have not done the mod yet .. I need to get that done .. been on my mind lately .. and I doubt I'm going to spend the $500+ bucks for that new 10 gallon fuel tank from IMS ..
Old 01-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #787
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp68 View Post
Just purchased a new 2011 KLR650, pick it up this Saturday.... I guess I've joined the club...

.. sweet .. set up your own thread and let us know where it is so we can follow your build ..

.. that ride is on my "bucket list" .. it will happen before I turn 60 .. dangit .. lol ..
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #788
jp68
JP

Oddometer: 123
By the way what is the DOO? Is that the same thing and the DOOHickey? I think I will try and seach the site. I asked the Parts Guy at the Kawasaki dealer and he said that it was much a do about nothing????
jp68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #789
Ken
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 56,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by revbill View Post
.. Sweet .. Set up your own thread and let us know where it is so we can follow your build ..

.. That ride is on my "bucket list" .. It will happen before i turn 60 .. Dangit .. Lol ..
+1
Old 01-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #790
CycleDoc59
Wrench Rider

Oddometer: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp68 View Post

Excellent! #1 purchase/install should be Dohicky, here:
http://www.eaglemike.com/Complete-le...ing-clkwts.htm

#2 an adequate rear shock spring, available here:
http://www.topgunmotorcycles.com/KLR...lrsprings.html

#3 a Sargent seat (no, not a crappy Corbin), here:
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...klr650-91-seat
CycleDoc59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #791
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I installed a Happy Trails center stand on the old girl tonight and stripped one of the footpeg mounts, argh! Anyone know a fairly simple fix? I have heard about Heli-Coils and am thinking that sounds like the way to go. Any experiences? What size would I need?
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:55 PM   #792
willys OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
It's a blind nut behind the mounting plate. The best way is to cut it loose and get that stripped nut out and spot a new one in. Not easy at all. The metal is very thin so heli coiling a fix may work, if the nut doesn't break off inside. It will if you put too much torque onto it. Yes ask me how I know. Yes I ended up cutting and welding. Sorry. If you do cut it loose try and cut the closest end open and get at it that way. I'm not sure if there is enough room to get a new nut and the old one in there.
The thing I would try first is to redrill and tap one size up and keep your fingers crossed. That is what I did but had bad luck and the nut came loose.

Hope this helps
Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #793
Canuck1969
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Not that I am recommending this as repairing it is probably the best option, but I stripped mine about 20,000 KM's ago and have never had a problem. Mine does grap a little, but very little. I blue loctite the other one and red loctite the stipped on. It has never gotten loose or fallen out. Have not had a problem to date. Stood up on the pegs many times and I am not a small guy and I also have a centre stand attached to it that I use almost always. As long as the bolt stays in, it will be fine since the load on the bolt is down towards the ground, not out. I check it every so often just to make sure. Just my 2 cents so take it for what it is worth.
Canuck1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #794
daveinoh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I agree Canuck, probably little danger of it falling out, but the center stand does add some load to it. Because it is stripped i can't tighten it down. Had I caught it sooner I probably would have loc-tited the crap out of it and let it go, but now it is in need of repair. Found the Heli-coil I needed on Amazon for around 25.00, not too bad.
The Toad Goeth East http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=729961
daveinoh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #795
triggs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Next thumper?

I have been researching lately and have come up with this one.Its an 06 with 655miles on the clock.Wants 4k for it.Understand the doohickey fix,what else do I need to know about this kawi?Have an 06 xr650l in the garage but want another more suited for the longer hauls,in a dual purpose configuration.
Attached Images

triggs is offline   Reply With Quote