Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #8236
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDan View Post
I mean on the disc.
Not much to go on, but . . . I recommend; REMOVE the two Allen-head machine screws holding the rear caliper onto its bracket, un-sandwich the rotor, and--spread apart the pads with, well, whatever you can find.

Then, re-sandwich the rotor carefully between the pads (making sure the pads are fitted to the caliper correctly, with the "wiggle room" they need, and cinch down the Allen-head machine screws.

Now try the brakes!

A question regarding your maintenance procedure; did you remove the caliper when you first started? If so, was the brake pedal inadvertently stomped, while the caliper was freed from the bike?
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #8237
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'm not sure if the pedal was pressed.
I asked the question too, but even if the answer was yes I'm not sure what that would do.

Yes, the caliper was removed.

Thanks for the reply.
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #8238
deadzed
Meat Popscicle

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
May not be the right direction, but . . . is the fabric of the carburetor diaphragm INTACT, and is the diaphragm properly sealed? A diaphragm air leak can cause some of the symptoms mentioned.

Also, don't want to insult your intelligence, but . . . are you certain the needle, needle spring and its holder are correctly re-assembled?

Assume you disassembled and cleaned all jets properly; good luck!
I can pull it and check again. I couldn't find any damage to the diaphragm, is there a good method for checking other than just looking at it?

As far as the re-assembly, I did it just like http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._iXRggU0&t=174

At this point I've had the carb off 5 times and, since the first cleaning nothing I've done has made any difference at all.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.

T.E. Lawrence
deadzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #8239
Nighman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
I have been reading some earlier posts and it sounds like Americans get way better deals than we do North of the border. I just bought a 06 KLR with 4500kms for $4300. It was a one owner bike and he ran it back and forth to work. I am sure it will be a good bike for me. Now to kit it out.
Nighman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #8240
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
^That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, a low low mileage bike.

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM   #8241
Jeathrow Bowdean
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Looking for info Please !!!

I have a 2011 KLR, and I was wondering if there is a kit to turn it back into the older style less the fairing, or is it just easier to buy the parts from Kawaski.

Thx from Don.
Jeathrow Bowdean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:41 PM   #8242
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeathrow Bowdean View Post
I have a 2011 KLR, and I was wondering if there is a kit to turn it back into the older style less the fairing, or is it just easier to buy the parts from Kawaski.

Thx from Don.
No kit that I know of...besides on the rear you'll have to start with a new (older) subframe and build/replace from there. I can confirm either rear rack will work on either gen.
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:07 PM   #8243
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
clutch question

i am fixing to be changing the clutch in my '05 klr and had a couple of questions.
Is it necessary to change the steels, and how would you tell? Or, should I just replace it all? And, is it normally necessary to replace the cover gasket?
Also, any particular brand over another or a brand I should avoid? I am sure there is a high-end one that probably kicks arse; but, I perfer one priced moderately if there is a viable option.
thanks
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #8244
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
i am fixing to be changing the clutch in my '05 klr and had a couple of questions.
Is it necessary to change the steels, and how would you tell? Or, should I just replace it all? And, is it normally necessary to replace the cover gasket?
Also, any particular brand over another or a brand I should avoid? I am sure there is a high-end one that probably kicks arse; but, I perfer one priced moderately if there is a viable option.
thanks
I had all the seals/gaskets and used none of them when I replaced my KLR's clutch last January.... That was on a 2008 with about 21000 miles. The original gaskets were all in good shape when they came off, so I reused them.
I used a set of EBC friction plates and springs and reused the metal plates.
The hardest part to it was getting my crashbar back in the footpeg mount lined up right to get the bolts back in. Otherwise, it was a simple/straightforward job.

While in there, clean out the oil screen.
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #8245
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
I had all the seals/gaskets and used none of them when I replaced my KLR's clutch last January.... That was on a 2008 with about 21000 miles. The original gaskets were all in good shape when they came off, so I reused them.
I used a set of EBC friction plates and springs and reused the metal plates.
The hardest part to it was getting my crashbar back in the footpeg mount lined up right to get the bolts back in. Otherwise, it was a simple/straightforward job.

While in there, clean out the oil screen.
Thanks for the info. And, I will definitely check that screen.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:47 PM   #8246
XpressCS
Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer: 1,161
Does anyone have a Vapor Stealth dash on their Gen1? I have been thinking about swapping my big clunky stock gauge assembly for the TT Vapor.

I don't see an odometer indicator, is there an odometer function?

My KLR is my therapy session. My quiet time. My deep tissue massage. Me without my KLR is reason enough to be deeply concerned. It is what calms me the most. Soothes my mind. Eases my stress. -Me
XpressCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:25 PM   #8247
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShooter View Post
Is it necessary to change the steels, and how would you tell?
You can check the steel plates for trueness/flatness by laying them upon a glass pane. There may be a service specification, but . . . unless they're clearly warped, I'd re-use 'em.
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #8248
farqhuar
Lone Wolf

Oddometer: 1,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDan View Post
I'm not sure if the pedal was pressed.
I asked the question too, but even if the answer was yes I'm not sure what that would do.

Yes, the caliper was removed.

Thanks for the reply.
Only other possibility is that you have air in the system somewhere which has been disturbed and is now causing the pads to not fully extend. I suggest bleeding the whole system to ensure all air is removed.
farqhuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #8249
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 674
I'll give it a shot.
Thanks for the reply.

Dan
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:44 AM   #8250
CallMeBoog
hi functioning idiom

Oddometer: 5,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by XpressCS View Post
Does anyone have a Vapor Stealth dash on their Gen1? I have been thinking about swapping my big clunky stock gauge assembly for the TT Vapor.

I don't see an odometer indicator, is there an odometer function?
I have a vapor on my 2008. It has a ton of functions, including odometer, trip meter, engine hours, etc...

CallMeBoog is offline   Reply With Quote