Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #8416
XDragRacer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
We took both bikes out and ran them back to back, both of us switching bikes twice. The KLX needle made a huge, clear difference in how well the 08 ran, both in feel and in actual performance. The 08 (KLX) outran the 09 (22c). We each switched bikes twice to really compare the two bikes to each other. Both of us agreed the KLX needle kit definitely gives the bike a MUCH better feel in overall performance and "driveability" as well as actually outperforming the 22cent mod in a back-to-back drag race between two identical bikes except for the carb mod.
Congratulations on your success with the KLX needle, ADW! I'm surprised an aftermarket needle would have a profound effect in a drag race.

I do not dispute your results; again, I congratulate you on them.

I find the results surprising, because: In a drag race, the throttle runs essentially at wide-open configuration for the majority of the race; the needle and the needle jet are not significantly involved in influencing the mixture for the most part; rather, the main jet dominates.

From, "Care And Feeding of the CVK40:"

How did the two bikes perform against each other when "identical," i.e., before the KLX needle was installed in the '08?

What was the margin-of-victory, i.e., distance between the bikes, at the end of the quarter mile?

Final question: What needle clip position did you use?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

XDragRacer screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 01:46 PM
XDragRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #8417
Newfiebullet
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
The Dr650 is a big dirt bike. The klr is a wanna be dirt bike.
Rider ability will play a FAR greater role than any differences between a DR and a KLR.
Newfiebullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #8418
IDRIDR

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post
Congratulations on your success with the KLX needle, ADW! I'm surprised an aftermarket needle would have a profound effect in a drag race.

I find the results surprising, because: In a drag race, the throttle runs essentially at wide-open configuration for the majority of the race; the needle and the needle jet are not significantly involved in influencing the mixture for the most part; rather, the main jet dominates.

How did the two bikes perform against each other when "identical," i.e., before the KLX needle was installed in the '08?

What was the margin-of-victory, i.e., distance between the bikes, at the end of the quarter mile?

Also, do both have stock main jets? I ask because I seem to recall recommendations for a smaller main with a KLX needle.
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #8419
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,287
Ordered an Anakee3 to try out for the rear of my KLR on a ride from east coast to west, and iron butt 1000 on the way out.

T63 on the front
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #8420
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
You can say that again
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #8421
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
I Did it, I did it!!!

I successfully removed both forks! without shearing any bolts or fucking anything up. Im stoked. Hopefully no issues arise when I take em to get the new seals installed.

Then... Putting it all back together. Again, with no issues... That will be the real victory. Im stoked.
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #8422
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I think I have finally read every post on this thread. Good time since I pick up my new to me '91 KLR this weekend! I haven't been offroad besides a dirt driveway, or because of construction, on my FJR since around '05.
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #8423
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
I think I have finally read every post on this thread. Good time since I pick up my new to me '91 KLR this weekend! I haven't been offroad besides a dirt driveway, or because of construction, on my FJR since around '05.
holt shit. That's inspiring. I've thought about it since I spend so much time on here. How long did it take you?
Old 08-26-2013, 06:03 PM   #8424
smithe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
holt shit. That's inspiring. I've thought about it since I spend so much time on here. How long did it take you?
Excellent question, I think I started reading it a few weeks ago.
smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #8425
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe View Post
Excellent question, I think I started reading it a few weeks ago.
Good luck on the new bike. I've owned mine now for almost 3 months and haven't looked back. So glad it got it and not an XR or DR. Maybe I would of been happy but maybe not. Make a list of questions you want to ask the previous owner. And also ask him to show any paperwork on repairs/maintenance if he has any.

I rode the shit out of mine this summer (my first real bike too) and am close to 2000 miles on it in the short time I've had it. Very much looking forward to this winter and upgrading things for next summer to get it nice and tuned for war.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #8426
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,294
Bought my 2013 on December 11th. 9700 miles so far. Very comfortable when you farkle it to suit you.

Still Riff Raff
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #8427
Aprilia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilGreenBooger View Post
Not Toyota. 1st & 2nd oil change is dino oil. After 16000 kilometers you can switch to synth
My Viper and last Vette came with Synth at first start up... Don't and would never run synth in either of my KLR's...its a freaking KLR! Change it often and just ride!
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM   #8428
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayinroach View Post
I successfully removed both forks! without shearing any bolts or fucking anything up. Im stoked. Hopefully no issues arise when I take em to get the new seals installed.
Are you not doing the seals yourself? If not, seriously consider it. They are really quite simple. An air compressor makes it easy to pop the old seals out. A 2 foot section of 1.25" PVC works great as a seal driver. A bottle sprayer makes an cheap and easy oil gauge. Seriously, had I not had a small problem with one of my fork caps, I could have mine apart and reassembled in about an hour and a half.... saved at least $150 doing it myself.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #8429
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDragRacer View Post

Xdragracer, not gonna bite on your kindly-worded attempt to dispute and derail my post.

The point is this: two identical Gen2 KLRs (stock except for 22cent mod needles and richened idle mixtures) were ridden back to back against one another after one had the KLX needle installed. The one with the KLX needle accelerated harder and won a race independent of which of us rode which bike (my buddy and I are about 50 pounds different in weight). We both rode each bike under normal riding conditions as well and agreed the KLX bike pulled harder and accelerated better. The bike has also proven to be more enjoyable under normal operation and has maintained a similar fuel economy.

Re the clip and jets, did as the Eagle Mike instructions said: stock bike, so set to one shim under needle, needle clip 2nd from top, brass washer on top of clip. Main jet removed was 145, installed 140 main that came with kit, pilot screw was 2.25 turns before, was set to 1.75 turns per instructions.

If a person is going to do a needle change of some sort on a KLR, the KLX needle will provide a better overall improvement in the bike than the 22cent mod.

ADW screwed with this post 08-27-2013 at 09:38 AM
ADW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #8430
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilia View Post
don't and would never run synth in either of my klr's...its a freaking klr! Change it often and just ride!
+1

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote