User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
wadenelson OP
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 189
Tinkerbell, I-40 alternative in AR

There's NOTHING I like less than sitting at a complete stop on an Interstate during rush hour. Stop-and-go is even worse on a tall, top-heavy bike. During the summer the cooling fan starts running, I start baking in the heat, and misery ensues. I dare not remove my helmet or risk getting ticketed. So I swelter.

And since summer is when they always do construction, and close lanes.... And they've been working on I-40 between Memphis and Little Rock for FOUR YEARS NOW.....MISERY!!!!!

(Nicks BBQ between I40 and 70 just EAST of 31 to Beebe --- terrific ribs!!!!)

So I always attempt to detour around big cities (Memphis, Little Rock, OK City) on my commutes from Alabama to Colorado. Most of the time the rural routes don't suffer the traffic jams the highways do. And you can always pull out at a gas station, diner or cafe, or someplace INTERESTING to wait out traffic, rain, whatever.

Jumping off 70 east of Little Rock (the old highway, just below I-40) , I head north on 31 to Beebe, intending to do a left hand turn on 64, head west and completely bypass the entire metro area. (It turns out this is a great route. I end up in Conway where I get a motel for the night and there are plenty of restaurant choices... But I'm getting ahead of myself. I'm headed towards Beebe....

The asphalt is smooth, my Kawasaki Concours14 is purring along in Overdrive (6th) and I'm soon stuck behind a pickup truck towing a trailer. I begin hearing this tinkling sound. "Aha!" I say, I know what that is. He's dragging his safety chains. I keep looking for the tell-tale sparks of chain dragging on asphalt, but see none.

Eventually he turns off, but the tinkling continues. Am I hearing things? Going out of my mind? Is Tinkerbell flying alongside me? A lot of times stuff in the little tank-top storage unit will rattle --- sunglasses, garage door remote, etc. But this is a very high pitched tinkling. Eventually I pull out, get off my bike and look for what could be making that sound.

It's the damn Gremlin bell. Lol.

If you do this route, after Conway, jump onto 64, aka the "Old Morrilton Highway" instead of I-40 West. It parallels I-40 for many miles and is a LOT more scenic and interesting than the slab. Take it all the way to Alma

wadenelson screwed with this post 06-09-2014 at 04:28 PM
wadenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Wife got me one.

So far it's only got me when walking, I think my modular helmet is too frigging loud for it to get me on the bike.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote