User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2011, 09:01 AM   #31
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Moab

We arrived at Moab at 11pm, set up camp in the Sandflats recreation area, and got started first thing in the morning. We rode everything, both ways.

Here's Cooler King headed to Porcupine Rim:
Old 12-26-2011, 09:05 AM   #32
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Porcupine Rim

Red rocks at sunset!

Saying a prayer to the XR god:

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #33
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

One funny note to add about the Baja preparation... when we were taking Spanish class, one of the assignments was to write your biography in Spanish. Well I couldn't help myself and decided to use Dr. Evil's biography after translating it to Spanish. After all, the details of my life are quite inconsequential. It was difficult to translate but with the help of Google translate I finished it up and proudly went to class with my homework done. Little did I know I had to stand up in the front of the class and read my biography. It went like this:

As I said things like "he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark" I got confused looks from the Spanish teacher. It didn't make any sense and I think she thought I really sucked at Spanish, which was actually correct, it just didn't help that I was spouting intentional nonsense. When the joke came out at the end, one of the students (who spoke Spanish well and I have no idea why she was in an Intro to Spanish course) said that she was thinking "oh that poor man!" Placed in a burlap sack and beaten with reeds!! Jeez, I thought everyone had seen Austin Powers...
Old 01-04-2012, 10:14 PM   #34
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Back to Utah

Now you might be thinking that Cooler King never has any problems or crashes. Well you'd be right 99% of the time. We set off trying to get to Beef Basin because I heard it was awesome, but just when it started getting good, we had to head back out to get more gas. After getting gas and eating some awesome gas station ice cream sandwiches, we tried to take a shortcut to Beef Basin. It was going swell until we ran into a washout.

Now Cooler King being Cooler King and all, he dove right in. Unfortunately, he missed the line he was trying to take and sunk really badly in the mud. This mud was unlike any other mud I have come across. It was just so thick and so deep.

He was still wanting to continue and I just kept saying "If you think you're a little stuck, my bike is going to get really stuck." I hate being a spoilsport though.

We climbed the slope to throw down large chunks of the loose shale rock so that we could build a road in the mud- anything just to be able to stand and get the bike up out of the mud. With just one person it would have been nearly impossible to make any progress. We had to tip the bike to get it up on the rocks and of course it hates that and did not want to restart. Try kickstarting a 650R while standing on pudding. We eventually broke it free of the evil pudding's sucking grasp, but were out of daylight for exploring Beef Basin so we went back to Moab. It had taken us at least an hour to get that bike out of there using all the tricks we knew- we've been stuck plenty of times before this and we have lots of tricks for getting unstuck. Back on the pavement, CK picked up a nail in his rear tire but later said that Michelin Deserts are capable of 90mph over long distances when flat.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #35
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Then we went back to the sand flats and did laps around Hell's Revenge. We rode Hell's Gate both ways several times, lots of fun!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #36
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Then the fun stopped when CK had a tip-over and broke the clutch cover.

We tried to tow it with my bike but the tow strap broke.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #37
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

These guys were really nice and gave him a tow all the way out:

Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #38
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

That night we went to Eddie McStiffs and drank some margaritas to soothe our wounds. I sent out a plea for a clutch cover to ADVRider... and wouldn't you know it, mrfallover responded and said that he had a spare clutch cover with lots of good karma that we could borrow for free! Holy moly, ADVRiders are the best.

So CK rode up to Grand Junction to get the clutch cover while Deathgrip and I did the laundry.

Back at camp, CK replaced the clutch cover.

Thanks so much, MrFallOver!
Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #39
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

The same day that CK broke the clutch cover, I decided to go down "The Escalator" obstacle. I almost made it down the big drop but did an endo at the end.

At night, we had a nice campfire going and Cooler King had the idea to throw the clutch cover in since it's pure magnesium. We had the brightest campfire in the campground that night!

flyingwombat screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 10:52 AM
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #40
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

The next day, we rode the Sovereign Single Track system, all of it I think.

Then we gassed up and rode up Gemini Bridges to the Golden Spike trail. We rode the hell out of the Golden Spike and all the alternate trails, all day long.

flyingwombat screwed with this post 01-28-2012 at 10:56 AM
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:12 AM   #41
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #42
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Jumping the Golden Crack

How do you get across the Golden Crack? Easy: