User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2012, 12:31 PM   #46
FatherX
demisocial

Oddometer: 4,456
good job taming the crack.

heck of a tale. I felt your pain of a Baja trip cut short....nice rebound!!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:39 PM   #47
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 748
When we were completely exhausted, the sun was getting close to the horizon and it was time to find Poison Spider Mesa and get out of there.

We started following white dots like pac-man. Chomp chomp chomp... we went down the steepest, longest, and scariest slickrock hill I've ever been down. My tires and brakes were at their limit creeping down it while turning to avoid a small cliff.

One of the places the dots took us:

Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #48
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatherX View Post
good job taming the crack.

heck of a tale. I felt your pain of a Baja trip cut short....nice rebound!!

Thanks, it was unforgettable though!
Old 01-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #49
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Still on the way to Poison Spider Mesa:

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #50
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Old 01-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #51
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

We found our way down the Poison Spider Mesa trail, there was nothing to it after riding Golden Spike.

Dino tracks!

Old 02-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #52
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

The Escalator

I did an endo down this. It didn't look too bad at first.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #53
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Slickrock Trail

We rode the Slickrock Trail a lot. Many people (dirt bikers and mountain bikers) were not sticking to the dots on the trail, but we made sure we hit every one of them. It's a lot more fun and challenging if you do, in my opinion... otherwise you're just riding about on some slickrock, no skill required.

If you follow the dots you will gain really really good clutch control. My skills sure got better. For example, there are a couple of steep hills that require you to turn while going up them, which means you can't fly up them or you'll be going to fast to stick to the dots. Use that clutch, it's fun.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #54
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

We rode to Chicken Corner, through Hurrah Pass, and through Lockhart Basin. It was a nice ride, just easy cruising except for a couple of spots on Hurrah Pass.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM   #55
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Jesus Bike

Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #56
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

On the second-to-last day of riding before we went home, my bike started running very badly. It wouldn't run without choke... I limped it back to camp and figured there was still some sand in the carb. I didn't feel like working on it, and if there was still sand in it, then I didn't want to run it either.

What to do?

We made it to a rental shop in Moab just before they closed and rented a CRF450X. It was a 24 hour rental so we figured we would ride all night. After repairing the headlight, we went out to ride Hell's Revenge. It was tricky getting used to a new bike in the dark. I stalled it over and over. What's the first thing you do when you get your hands on a fast bike? All I was interested in at first was ripping wheelies.

Navigating Hell's Revenge was really difficult in the dark, so we switched to the Slickrock Trail instead. It was incredibly fun even though we were going really slowly.

We actually called it a night after a complete lap around Slickrock.

flyingwombat screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 05:15 PM
flyingwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #57
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

More Slickrock Trail

We spent the next day riding everything in Sandflats again. It was nice having a bike that could keep up with the 650R. Actually I could pass the 650 in the tighter stuff, but just couldn't match it on the straights. The CRF450X was really harsh at first, but after I got used to it, it felt really good. Except for the seat- the seat is absolutely horrible, hard as a rock.

We ran laps around the Slickrock Trail. We were nice to the mountain bikers, giving them right of way, etc. but we hauled ass when there were no people.

flyingwombat screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 08:18 PM
Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #58
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

This is a fun turn. I think it's harder going up than coming down. Stay on the dots!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #59
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

Don't use your feet!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #60
flyingwombat OP
frozen dead guy

That's all she wrote

That's about it. It was a tough but memorable trip, wonderful in many ways. Hopefully I made the report entertaining enough for you guys.

As for Deathgrip's elbow, she's done with physical therapy and the elbow seems to be in pretty good shape. It's still sore sometimes and it's going to take a while for that to go away. She was really good about exercising it and I think that helped the outcome tremendously (most people end up with a reduced range of motion). Last weekend we practiced self-arrests with ice axes on St. Mary's glacier, so it must be doing fairly well.

flyingwombat screwed with this post 02-03-2012 at 06:22 PM