User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #1
jardine OP
the purple

Oddometer: 448
3 day High Country ride Vic

We left Neerim South in good weather and covered stretches of gravel roads and tar to Stratford for the first refuel and a quick lunch before heading over the Mitchell river and into the bush. The riding weather was perfect despite the forecast of thunderstorms. We had a far distance to cover and had to keep on the go to get to camp before dark so not many photo stops. We reached Swifts creek by the afternoon for the last fuel up before Jindabyne and made our way up into Nuniong and picked up Native Cat track that lead us to the camp site at Native Dog. It is a beautiful spot to camp on the Buchan River with plenty of space and fresh water. The campfire was lit and the stories started. Some of us stayed up later than we should have and the port was a good idea at the time. We set out in good time and headed into the first challenging riding into the Cobberas track that would eventually lead us to the Barry Way. Eventually. The scenery was spectacular and we climbed and descended into some of Victorias most rugged countryside. The track claimed its first victim with the youngest member having a scenic tour in the helicopter ride out while the rest of us worked hard to get through with fully laden bikes and only 1 puncture. It was great. Lunch at the border at Willis and an easy ride into Jindy for fuel and beer supplies. We ran into the first rain at Dead Horse gap out of Threbo and made it to Tom Groggin for camp. The rain cleared and we had the fire going and the evening was warm. The ride plan changed to suit most riders time limitations so we headed off early to ride quietly through Tom Groggin station and up Mt Hope track. It was seriously greasy after the storms and the rain had started again and I knew if we made it up the first few pinches we would be right to get the whole way up. Two riders who didn’t have to return till the next day left at this point to continue their way. We made it up to the top of the range to be met with the slipperiest red clay I have ever ridden on, it was like ice. Having fogged up goggles added to the excitement and the little DR was crossed up in every direction more than once but managed to stay right side up through sheer fluke. Seeing the tracks of the faster riders in front was like reading a book, I wasn’t the only one on two tracks. We regrouped with the light rain enough to be a nuisance and took off for coffee and toasted sandwiches at Omeo. The temperature had dropped to 9 so out with more layers for the next stretch to Dargo. We rode into pea soup fog over Mt Berrigan but the riding was great and regroup in Dargo for the last stretch home. We broke up at Straty with some heading down the highway and for us die hards back into the bush for just a few more klms of fun before home. The tracks were in perfect condition after the rain with no dust and fresh clean air. I only managed 1 photo as we were on the go the whole time. So big days, lots of riding in every sort of conditions from steep, gnarly hills and descents that really tested the bikes to easy scenic gravel and tar roads and I love being in the mountains. All good and the next one is in the planning.
Ausgofar on top of Mt Menark
jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
tornillo
Motojunkie.

Oddometer: 370
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYJBSYkmdk
tornillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
hattah79

Oddometer: 901
A couple of small (CHAIR) pics

Our leader

The boys listen up

All loaded up

A rest stop on Friday

Craig prays "sorry for selling KTM Please forgive me"

Friday nights camp

A regroup

Mudders fixing a flat on Barry Way

I Had to do something waiting for mudders

Saturday Night camp in the rain

Only slippery muddy hills stopped this beast

A hot drink and toasted sando at Omeo

As we started the sun is out as we split up to go home

hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:36 PM   #4
AusGoFar
get back on that horse

Oddometer: 899
Some helmet cam shots – to show the riding conditions

We found two creek crossing between two climbs, Speed and momentum up steep climbs is eveything. Once you loose those – youre buggered.

AusGoFar screwed with this post 11-26-2011 at 11:58 PM
AusGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
AusGoFar
get back on that horse

Oddometer: 899
The day was pretty warm. This is the top of a pinch that got a few of us unstuck. Pushing fully laden bikes up these hills is tough.

After that track – we dropped down on to the Jindibine/Buchan road which was smooth and sandy. Nice.

This road was spectacular with great views of the Snowy River.

AusGoFar screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 12:02 AM
AusGoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
JCat

Oddometer: 379
Nice work Dave
80 CX500 Brat
JCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:37 AM   #7
hattah79

Oddometer: 901
Gr8

Love your work Dave
Any word on Bruces Bike
hattah79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
jardine OP
the purple

Oddometer: 448
Hey Dave that was the best 40klm long roller coaster ride! Thanks for the clips and I hope you feel better than you did on the ride!

Hattah Brutes bike ended up being a tiny blockage in the fuel injection enough to make it cranky he made it back as far as Moe (I think???) or somewhere there and then stopped at a friends place for help.
jardine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
Lankbrown
No Pain No Gain

Oddometer: 63
Great Pics Dave

Enjoyed the challenge. Need to do some work on my set up, carry less shit would help. . Pete and I ended up at Lee Creek just north of Briagolong.Went exploring in the morning and found an old miners house. Thanks for the good company, help from other inmates and the crazy lady that lead the ride

Lankbrown screwed with this post 11-29-2011 at 12:08 AM
Lankbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #10
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,028
How I got home

Good to hear most had a good trip . The vids & photos look great . By the time I got to Tyres my bike wouldn`t do more than 30kmh . Headed to my cousins place at Tralagon at pushbike speeds, stuck my bike into the back of his ute & I was home at 4 pm . Pulled the bike down & found the filter on top of the injector blocked . I only fitted this filter before the ride , These filters come standard on the new EXC`s & are said to be an upgrade for the 690 . Now people are saying they are to small for a 690 & block up to easy . I would have checked this on the track but it takes at least an hour to remove & replace the Safari tank , then the airbox would also have to be removed before you can get to the injector . And I wasn`t certain this was the problem . Anyway that little filter is gunna get binned .
Attached Images

Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
chriso
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
how i got home

i got a chopper and 2 seperate ambulances then a lift home from bairnsedale that seemed to take for ever
just been to the doc after a few more scans, turns out i did fracture my ankle, now i get to sit on arse for the next 6 weeks with my leg in a cast, still was an awsome ride, specialy the bit in the helicopter
chriso is offline   Reply With Quote