User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
walkergreenlabel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Question Toronto to James Bay

I am thinking of an adventure ride from Toronto to James Bay and back. Is there any road access to get there? Has anyone done it before?
walkergreenlabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #2
walkergreenlabel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Im reading deadly99 report http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506183.

Any alternatives in Ontario?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #3
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
The very simple answer is no....!

Why no quebec? It's nothing like the big city attitude up there, They are extremely friendly and curtious people.....sorry if that upsets a few....lol
It's a great trip by the way. Well worth the week it takes to just do the James Bay Rd up to Raddison and over to Chissisibi and dip your front wheel in the Bay! You can also take the power plant tour too.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Abenteuerfahrer
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,274
Some of my Baie St; James(Kames Bay) cllections for future traves.....read and enjoy

http://www.goldensextant.com/RouteduNord.html

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23123

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498416
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #5
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 498
It is a great trip. Just watch the gas out of Matane....If I remember it is 238mile to the next gas. I ++ the visit to the power plant...spectacular and visit Chisasbi too. Wonderful people. It is very interesting to learn a bout live up there
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #6
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
Baie James

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
I am thinking of an adventure ride from Toronto to James Bay and back. Is there any road access to get there? Has anyone done it before?
Been there, done it, twice.

As already posted, it is a great ride, you will have no issues providing you pay attention to distance between fueling sites (few and far between).

Our group took a jerry can of gas both ways and did have to dip into the supply as one bike was towing a trailer.

Also be very aware of animals on the road; moose, bear, caribou, hitting any of these on a bike would be a bad day. I would not travel at night for that reason.

The last stage of highway is a private road but was in good shape 10 years ago when I last went. The last town before this stage is Matagami, there is a decent motel and restaurant there.

First time, we drove straight from Ottawa, it was a marathon, second trip we went to Matagmi and stayed the night, much more pleasant ride.

As already posted, visit the Cree village of Chisisabi (sp?) to see some northern aboriginal culture and also the hydro dam installation; very impressive!
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
walkergreenlabel OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=willys;17352450]The very simple answer is no....!

Why no quebec? It's nothing like the big city attitude up there, They are extremely friendly and curtious people.....sorry if that upsets a few....lol

I can do Quebec. its like visiting a different country without the border Just trying to figure a way to do the bay in a shorter trip.

I'm having difficulties convincing the minsiter of finance, Governor of fun and queen of worry (tough group sometimes) of such a long trip. I think I have her up to 4 days may be able to get it up to 6 by next August for the trip.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
willys
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Let me offer a solution.....buy a secondhand SPOT version 1...they are dirt cheap on fleabay, kijiji. The version 1 has better battery life, but you still must use lithium batteries, AA or is that AAA can't remember...? The basic service is $99 a year and for another $49 you get instant tracking too. This is the part the finance minister will like alone with the worry wart of a wife...lol...she and the rest of your family can watch you the entire way and know if anything does happen to you, it's just a push of a button and help is on it's way! Simple and a cheap way to get piece of mind. I rented one the first time I went across Canada, it worked so well I bought one. Believe me, worth every penny, even if you never push that SOS button!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Montague
UDF Adventurer

Oddometer: 650
SPOT on advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by willys View Post
Let me offer a solution.....buy a secondhand SPOT version 1...they are dirt cheap on fleabay, kijiji. The version 1 has better battery life, but you still must use lithium batteries, AA or is that AAA can't remember...? The basic service is $99 a year and for another $49 you get instant tracking too. This is the part the finance minister will like alone with the worry wart of a wife...lol...she and the rest of your family can watch you the entire way and know if anything does happen to you, it's just a push of a button and help is on it's way! Simple and a cheap way to get piece of mind. I rented one the first time I went across Canada, it worked so well I bought one. Believe me, worth every penny, even if you never push that SOS button!
I whole heartedly second that idea, either first or second generation, they are a great safety device as well as (for a small additional fee) giving those at home the opportunity to track your trip online.
Montague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
I did the James Bay road in early September solo. Good trip but the worst weather I've ever traveled in and I ride alot. Cold, wind and rain and more rain. Great folks and watch the fuel. I had two aux cans and it worked out great. Good food at the relais at KM 381. Had a hour visit with a Quebec province policeman at the bay, super nice guy and a fellow biker. Very few cars and people. Its a big country up there. I saw Moose, Arctic Fox, Wolfs and 2 other bikes.
I'm glad I made the trip.

Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Bwondzuki
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Places to stay

To those who have made the pilgrimage to James Bay, where did you stay enroute? Are there any campgrounds? I am hoping to do this trip in either 2013 or 2014.

Bwondzuki screwed with this post 04-21-2013 at 07:34 PM Reason: Get notice of replies
Bwondzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #12
Beto
RustyGasket

Oddometer: 1,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwondzuki View Post
To those who have made the pilgrimage to James Bay, where did you stay enroute? Are there any campgrounds? I am hoping to do this trip in either 2013 or 2014.
Check this out:

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/

Lots of good info there.

Originally Posted by Ogre_fl
"If it's anyone's fault for a crash... it's always the Ass Fault."
Beto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #13
Sjoerd Bakker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Bring camping tent ,rain fly, warm sleeping bag ,
Pitch tent anywhere you like. If weather is too bad for your taste
there are good motels and hotels available but very expensive at Radisson
You can find free camping sites on some of the abandoned worksites south of town .
At Relais km 381 rooms and cafeteria meals available at fair price ,reasonable priced hotels in Matagami too .
That 381km is the longest distance between fuel stops you will find
on the entire trip so if your bike
has that fuel range no need to carry extra gas
Sjoerd Bakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
Beto
RustyGasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjoerd Bakker View Post
Bring camping tent ,rain fly, warm sleeping bag ,
Pitch tent anywhere you like. If weather is too bad for your taste
there are good motels and hotels available but very expensive at Radisson
You can find free camping sites on some of the abandoned worksites south of town .
At Relais km 381 rooms and cafeteria meals available at fair price ,reasonable priced hotels in Matagami too .
That 381km is the longest distance between fuel stops you will find
on the entire trip so if your bike
has that fuel range no need to carry extra gas
I second that. One note, they only sell regular gas at Relais Routier/km 381. So bring a can of octane booster if premium gas is required. Lots of campsites along the JBR and make sure you check out the Ruppert River. In Radisson visit the Bourassa hydro, you'd be amazed, reservation required.

In addition to Chisasibi and the James Bay, also plan on making an extra trip to Long Point (about 50 km gravel road from LG1), the Northernmost place you can go on the JBR.

You'll have to adjust your gear depending on when you plan on making the trip, late spring/summer/early fall. Get familiar with the weather.

Ah! Check your cellphone coverage, very limited up there and plan accordingly but there are emergency phones along the way. If you want to experience total silence even at daylight, that's the place to be. If lucky you should be able to see the Northern Lights.

Trip of a lifetime

Old 04-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
Beto
RustyGasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkergreenlabel View Post
From Toronto to Chisasibi and Long Point as I mentioned on my previous post this is the route I took last October >

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Do...=1,2,3&t=m&z=6