Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #16
Parcero OP
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by djones745 View Post
Sorry for your loss Mike.
Thanks, Dave. Since you know how I ride at the track, I didn't want you to think that somehow I high-sided the GS while driving it out of my garage.

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #17
Parcero OP
Mundial

I finally left Chicago yesterday at about 1:30 PM. I had a few things to take care of after being out of town for the funeral.

It was about 42 degrees with very light rain when I got on the road. The rain stopped, but the temperature dropped steadily to 30 degrees for about the last hour of the ride, and I stayed overnight in Rolla, Missouri. The first stop today might be a motorcycle shop in Springfield, MO to buy some heated socks to go along with the jacket and gloves.

Today's goal is to get to some warmer weather and as close to the border as I can so I can get an early start across the border on Wednesday. Might be a bit of a challenge with some light snow in the forecast.

Probably how it all started. My first ADV ride--Around the Block, Solo. Thanks, Mom!

Parcero screwed with this post 12-18-2011 at 03:31 PM
Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 AM   #18
Parcero OP
Mundial

Uh oh...

Old 12-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #19
Eagletalon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Sorry for your lost pal. Loosing someone like that isn't easy at all. Best of wishes on your way south man.

Later
John
Eagletalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #20
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Have a good trip. I'll be following your report.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #21
Parcero OP
Mundial

Got a later start than expected today. Had to wait until 10:30 AM until the roads were good enough for moto travel. I-44 was cleared for the most part, but the blowing snow, flurries, and cars in the ditch made for a white-knuckle ride for the first 100 or so miles. Probably should have waited longer, but with my procrastination yesterday I needed to get some forward motion going, and fast. I'm already a day behind schedule and it's only day two of the ride. Mańana será mejor.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:48 PM   #22
Parcero OP
Mundial

Thanks, John.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagletalon View Post
Sorry for your lost pal. Loosing someone like that isn't easy at all. Best of wishes on your way south man.

Later
John

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #23
rmlogger
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Same general idea...but I'll be just a little bit behind you

Hi Mike,

I must confess that I am not well-versed in adventure touring, and for that reason I just stumbled upon your post this morning, while in the parking lot of the dealer from whom I just purchased my ride for a Rochester, New York to Panama trip that I will begin in the next few (5?) days.

My mother also recently left this world, but she (surprisingly) encouraged me to pursue this long- contemplated trip, which may have been why your post struck a particular chord with me.

Although I didn't see anything in your reports indicating an interest in riding with a partner, I thought Introducing myself would be a good idea for both of us, just in case.

Please feel free to email me at lgassler@rochester.rr.com, and we can exchange more detailed contact information if it makes sense.

Cheers,
Leigh
rmlogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
c5babe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Subscribed.

There are four things you can't recover: the stone..after the throw, the word..after it's said,
the occasion..after it's missed and the time ..after it's gone.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #25
jimbowie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I am very sorry for your loss. Perhaps the trip is just what you need at this time. Ride safe and enjoy your time. I will be following along with great anticipation.
jimbowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 AM   #26
Parcero OP
Mundial

Leigh,

That's what mothers do, encourage their children to pursue their dreams.

Based on what The Weather Channel had to say this morning, my advice would be to make sure you have heated gear, including socks. And of course, be careful. I hit a patch of black ice yesterday on an overpass--good thing it was dead straight or I might have been writing this from a hospital bed, or worse. But by all means, go! Just be prepared to change routes if the weather turns nasty. You mentioned you just bought a bike. What will you be riding?

I will likely be many days ahead of you, but I will PM you with contact info just in case.

Good luck and safe travels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlogger View Post
Hi Mike,

I must confess that I am not well-versed in adventure touring, and for that reason I just stumbled upon your post this morning, while in the parking lot of the dealer from whom I just purchased my ride for a Rochester, New York to Panama trip that I will begin in the next few (5?) days.

My mother also recently left this world, but she (surprisingly) encouraged me to pursue this long- contemplated trip, which may have been why your post struck a particular chord with me.

Although I didn't see anything in your reports indicating an interest in riding with a partner, I thought Introducing myself would be a good idea for both of us, just in case.

Please feel free to email me at lgassler@rochester.rr.com, and we can exchange more detailed contact information if it makes sense.

Cheers,
Leigh

Old 12-07-2011, 07:46 AM   #27
chilango13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
subscribed!
chilango13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #28
Parcero OP
Mundial

When I woke up this morning in Atoka, Oklahoma and started the bike, it was frost covered and the thermometer registered 19 degrees. I beefed up my cold weather wardrobe, and added a wind stopper vest under my jacket and a thin cap over my balaclava before departing at about 6:45 AM. The sun was shinning and by the time I hit Dallas it was 46 degrees, balmy compared to the last two days. Temps rose steadily throughout the ride, and it was sunny and 70 when I pulled into Laredo, Texas at about 4:30.

I gassed up to be ready for tomorrow, and went to the post office to mail home my heated jacket and gloves. The less I have to carry, the better. When I start the bike to go find a motel the warning light appears on the dash, showing an almost empty fuel tank. The range indicator is bouncing around between 140 and 30 miles, and everywhere in between, and then just goes to zero. I was pretty sure that the lousy fuel gage on the bike had finally quit, but was worried that maybe there was some larger computer or electrical malfunction that might render the bike useless as soon as I got across the border, so I called Peter at my home BMW shop. He put my fears to rest, assuring me that it is indeed an isolated fuel gage issue. So I'm good to go in the morning.

The Laredo/Nuevo Laredo border is open 24/7, and very busy. I have no idea how long it will take me to get through the line and process the bike. I'll start early, about 6 AM, as I hope to make it to Mexico City tomorrow.

Parcero screwed with this post 12-16-2011 at 02:52 PM Reason: Add photo.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #29
tcroullier
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Fuel Gauge

That's what happens when you have new bike! too many indicators waiting to fail!

Glad to know you are doing well and so sorry for your loss.

Missed you at Toys for Tots last Sunday in Chicago. 80% HD/victory crowds burning tires, 10% crotch rockets owners and the rest BMW riders. Visibly not the same market .

Ride safe Thierry
tcroullier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
Carl Stark
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Wyoming to Columbia`

Looks like we ( my bride and I ) will be a few weeks behind you. We plan on being in Southern California January 10th and then down Baja and on to South America.
There is a BMW convention in El Salvador Febuary 23 - 25 with the guest speaker Charlie Boorman of long way down. We have attended two of there conventions and it is a top shelf opperation. I am sure they would welcome you.
We have subscribed and it will be cool to have some one riding ahead of us providing corrent intel.
Carl & Jonnie
Sheridan, WY
Carl Stark is offline   Reply With Quote