Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #61
Nateman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Well? When do you start the next part of the trip?
Nateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:49 AM   #62
Parcero OP
Mundial

Oddometer: 534
The continuation starts Wednesday, January 11, when I fly to Bogotá, Colombia to meet up with my bike. I will then ride from Bogotá to Medellín and meet up with a friend and a group of other riders to explore Antioquia and the northern parts of Colombia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateman View Post
Well? When do you start the next part of the trip?

Light Dual Sport Fun in Michigan

R1200GS / KLR650 / XR400 / XR250 / 1950 Panhead
Parcero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #63
Parcero OP
Mundial

All packed and ready to leave on Wednesday to meet up with the bike in Bogotá and continue the journey.

Old 01-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #64
pirate gonzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Just came across your thread as a friend and I are planning a trip to Panama in 2013 from Milwaukee. Very excited to see the rest of your trip!

Question, are you fluent in Spanish and if not does it hinder you in the south? Neither my friend nor I speak it and we were wondering if that is a big deal or not.
pirate gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #65
MacNoob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillia View Post
All packed and ready to leave on Wednesday to meet up with the bike in Bogotá and continue the journey.
This looks like good time to subscribe!
MacNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 AM   #66
Parcero OP
Mundial

Your trip will be better than mine since you will get to ride about 90 miles more! Southern Wisconsin is one of my favorite local riding destinations.

I can communicate effectively in Spanish, although I don't know if I would use the word fluent. It obviously made things much easier on the trip, although I certainly met plenty of non-Spanish speaking tourists along the way who said that their lack of Spanish was not a hinderance. Even at borders deep into Central America (like El Salvador/Honduras) there seemed to be bi-lingual people helping folks out. Not border employees, but other tourists.

Of course, it is always better to have at least a very basic knowledge of the language--how to say hello, ask for directions, etc.--and since you won't be leaving until 2013, you have time to take some basic courses or even do self-study that will help you and make your trip even more enjoyable.

Either way, you're going to have a lot of fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate gonzo View Post
Just came across your thread as a friend and I are planning a trip to Panama in 2013 from Milwaukee. Very excited to see the rest of your trip!

Question, are you fluent in Spanish and if not does it hinder you in the south? Neither my friend nor I speak it and we were wondering if that is a big deal or not.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:25 AM   #67
flatmo
Americano

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillia View Post

Be careful in northern Colombia.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #68
Parcero OP
Mundial

Thanks, I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmo View Post

Be careful in northern Colombia.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #69
Parcero OP
Mundial

The BMW Rallye Pro II jacket has a removable zip-off fanny pack emblazoned with "BMW Motorrad" on the back. It's hard to miss. As my flight was landing in Bogotá late last night, I noticed that a passenger seated access the aisle was holding the fanny pack from the jacket, so of course I had to start a conversation. He was another adventurer, from Colombia, who also rides a GS. Small world. He completed an amazing trip down to BA from Bogotá in 22 days. My kind of rider. The trip was memorialized in a series of really great trip videos. If I get his permission to post a link, I will do so in this report. They are worth watching.

This morning I went back to the cargo terminal at the airport to pick up my bike that was supposed to arrive yesterday evening. Turns out it won't arrive until about noon today, and probably won't be ready to be picked up until two or three this afternoon. So rather that wait at Girag's rather nice offices at the airport, I left and checked into a hotel near the Unicenter in Bogota, left my stuff, and I will explore a little of the city until I return this afternoon and, hopefully, grab the bike. I found an insurance outfit close to the airport courtesy of another ride reporter, so I'll take care of obtaining Colombian Insurance on my way.

Mańana encontraré un amigo y iremos a Medellín juntos

Parcero screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 08:02 PM
Old 01-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #70
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
enjoying reading about your trip!
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #71
TurkeyChicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Looking forward to the second half of your trip!
TurkeyChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #72
Parcero OP
Mundial

Spent the last half of the afternoon rounding up seguro obligatorio for the bike and then getting it out of Girag's freight terminal. My taxista said we could get the insurance almost anywhere, and we stopped at a gas station to buy it on the way back out to the airport. After about a half hour of trying to figure out what rate to quote, they said because my bike is not registered in Colombia, I would have to go to one of their main offices. They gave me the address of their closet office. Once I got to the window, I had my proof of insurance in hand ten minutes and 58,000 Colombian pesos later.

When I got back to Girag, they had me sign some papers and gave me a stack of more papers to walk over to the aduanas office. Those guys were very efficient and everything was straightforward. Very professional, too. Colombia is like that. Except they never asked for the insurance certificate that Girag insisted that I needed before aduanas would sign off. I think that's to show to la policia, when I inevitably get pulled over.

Walked back to Girag to finally really once and for all get the bike and met another rider who was there picking up his GSA. Edward from England. He is on a world tour and has been almost everywhere, including a lot of Asian countries. He's heading down to Ushuaia and Antartica. We were very popular--lots of people asking us lots of questions about our trips and our bikes. Although since Bogotá is the air cargo entry point for Girag, moto travelers picking up their bikes is an almost daily event.

Fired up on the first try! Had almost a full tank of gas too--the broken fuel gauge made it look empty, so Girag was OK with it.

Esas llantas estarán en tierra querida pronto.

There's that bandera in the background!

Rode through typical Latin American rush-hour traffic to get back to the hotel. It was fun lane-splitting with the GS and its wide panniers, but it's the norm down here and all the motos do it.

Tonight's plan is organize my gear, pack up the bike, and grab some dinner. Tomorrow morning I'll meet a friend at the BMW shop, get an oil change, and MAYBE put the TKCs on the bike. Those Hiedenaus look better than I remembered.

Parcero screwed with this post 01-12-2012 at 08:06 PM
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #73
BluNozr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
Suscribed! Have a blast.
BluNozr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #74
Radioman
Moto rider

Oddometer: 5,045
Hola!! I am here in Medellin at the Shamrock Irish Pub will be here through the weekend.... and then riding Columbia for awhile. The Pub opens at 4PM. If you do not see me ask Albert or Dennis (owners) and they will know where I am.

Ride of my Lifetime...... Thread started 5/11/2011 http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #75
Parcero OP
Mundial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Hola!! I am here in Medellin at the Shamrock Irish Pub will be here through the weekend.... and then riding Columbia for awhile. The Pub opens at 4PM. If you do not see me ask Albert or Dennis (owners) and they will know where I am.

Great! I'll find you!