ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Assuming it's constructed like the typical KTM factory piece...
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $300 61 65.59%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $400 17 18.28%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $500 9 9.68%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $600 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #151
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado
Firstly, we used the previously published demensions to lay up the cardboard boxes, then I stood on the pegs and we adjusted the distance from my (right / left) toe to the respective boxes. I didn't try to leave much extra, but there seems to be plenty of room with simulating a standing riding position. As we begin to fabricate the aluminum on Friday we'll recheck those distances and I will report the final demension along with, hopefully, some better pictures.
shoe size?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #152
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Shoe Size

My shoe size is about an 8.5 American. I did the guestaments with a pair of Tech Ten's size 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
shoe size?
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:05 PM   #153
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
My shoe size is about an 8.5 American. I did the guestaments with a pair of Tech Ten's size 9.
thanks, just need to know for the gang as i know we go up to at least 13 (anybody larger? ). i understand that yours is custom for you so we might have to adjust the box depth for larger foot sizes (unless you think they will fit at least a 13).

Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM   #154
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Oddometer: 1,164
Is it just me, or do those cardboard template boxes look kinda porky?

I don't need to stash/store too much. Just some extra tools and some flat repair stuff. Maybe it's just that they're brown instead of silver?

Still, good to see something happening
Old 06-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #155
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocibiker
Is it just me, or do those cardboard template boxes look kinda porky?

I don't need to stash/store too much. Just some extra tools and some flat repair stuff. Maybe it's just that they're brown instead of silver?

Still, good to see something happening

me two (wonder where those flanny plans are... Grey Ghost!)

they are pretty much the same as the ktm ones off of flyshop's measurements from where i am sitting. i think that's fine and might suggest they widen a bit to protect the bottom of the tank more. not much, just a half inch.

Old 06-08-2005, 11:17 AM   #156
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Quote:
me two (wonder where those flanny plans are... Grey Ghost!)

they are pretty much the same as the ktm ones off of flyshop's measurements from where i am sitting. i think that's fine and might suggest they widen a bit to protect the bottom of the tank more. not much, just a half inch.
Careful what you ask for. Having low slung and wide bits on a dirtbike is a disaster waiting to happen. I saw a guy the other day with some home made highway bars & pegs on a brand new DR650. I can just imagaine what's going to happen the first time he hits a tree stump or a big rock

I think I'm just going to sit back now and see how all this turns out.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #157
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Careful what you ask for. Having low slung and wide bits on a dirtbike is a disaster waiting to happen. I saw a guy the other day with some home made highway bars & pegs on a brand new DR650. I can just imagaine what's going to happen the first time he hits a tree stump or a big rock

it would be no wider than the bottom of the tank... but i see what you mean; its a trade off no?

Old 06-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #158
hubilado
Motoquiero

skid Plate / Tool Box too wide?

Well.....without slipping into a discussion on what one can/cannot do on a given bike, let me say that in my neck of the woods a 640 Adv ain't no dirtbike and I don't expect to be riding any rocky rooty trails with it. That's what I've got the 400 E for. This is the bike I take to Mexico, ride the CD trail with, etc. and if I scrape anything with the boxes....I believe it'll be OK. It's really not much more than an extended skid plate. There were TWO reasons for ME doing this; to provide some protection for the petcock (which I've already broken off once; in a damned remote place in Mexico I might add) and to get my tools and spares down low where the weight is born more graciously by the bike.

If I'm wrong about the concept, I'll be quick about posting it here with me and my cast on, but I suspect that sense the almost identical device is sold by SW Motech that they can't be too dangerous. We'll see how it shakes out in a couple of weeks.

Quote:

Old 06-10-2005, 09:21 AM   #159
Velocibiker
Adventure Antagonist

Quote:
There were TWO reasons for ME doing this; to provide some protection for the petcock (which I've already broken off once; in a damned remote place in Mexico I might add) and to get my tools and spares down low where the weight is born more graciously by the bike.
Sounds excellent! If I had the resourses to make my own, I'd make it exactly the way I wanted it too!

I wasn't bashing or flamming, just making an observation.....
Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #160
hubilado
Motoquiero

About Finished...

We've just about wound this project down....just in time too as we're leaving Monday for a month of riding!

There are a bunch of photos at (http://hubilado.smugmug.com/). There are probably TOO MANY, but I wasn't sure what might be helpful.

I'm not sure what I should say regarding construction except, like most projects, it turned out to be harder (for me) and more costly than predicted.

We used the stock skid plate and 1/8 aluminum plate ordered from a local (sorta as nothing's local for me) metal supplier. The cost of materials was about $80 for the aluminum, $15 for the rubber, $12 for the bolts, $10 for JB Weld (seam sealing) and rubber buffers ±$10. Labor: I get $.10/hour no matter what I'm doing so that's minimal, but evon though my fabricator friend was more than kind...and still it got a bit pricey.

We did two set-ups; mine first, my riding pal's second. The first one took a fair bit of time working out a host of details and we caught some potential problems which we tried to correct in the second version (which definitely turned out better).

I really haven't tested them yet so I'm reluctant to say how sturdy they are (in a crash or when taking a hit from rocks etc.) or how water proof they are. I'll probably know more about this when I get back home in a month.

The GOOD news is that one can get an amazing amount of stuff in them. I loaded them with the obviously heavy stuff and used some plastic wraps just in case my seam sealing wasn't complete or the rubber gaskets on the lids leak.

Here are some design issues that quickly come to mind; the edges of the lids are 3/4" except the back one which is 1/2". This was done to facilitate removal unter the tank and accommodate the 1/4" rubber. The gussets improved the rigidity of the unit a LOT. The five mounting bolts on the stock skid plate SEEM to be sufficient to anchor the unit well to the bike. The lid fasteners are a departure from what has been show here previously. The external vertical bolt brackets were used to "crush"the 1/4" neoprene rubber in the lid to make a water seal. The position of the brackets was a point of much consideration and we goofed on the first set-up. This was mostly corrected on the second unit and the first unit will be modified when I get home.

If there are questions....I'll try to answer them. I'm NOT an engineer so don't expect a scientic explanation.

I want to, again, THANK EVERYONE on this forum for being so open and helpful to someone like me who wanted to do this. If I can help in any way toward the ongoing group effort, I'll do my best to do so.

I'll be pretty much outta touch until the first week of August, but will still be around here for couple of days.

Hasta!!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:17 AM   #161
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,714
are you going to be sellin 'em?

how do you feel about the quality of the final product?

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:28 AM   #162
hubilado
Motoquiero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedagain
are you going to be sellin 'em?

Not just no, but H...No! I'm a hacker, not a production guy. I think the group project (effort) will lead to a source of these SP/Boxes. From what I've read, it seems there are some very talented people working on this. Coordination will be key, but I see it happening. The reason I forged ahead was that I didn't want to go on another trip without some protection for the petcock...and I really wanted to get some of the weight (the heavier tools/spares) down lower on the bike.

how do you feel about the quality of the final product?
The first one (mine) needs some work to get it where I want it. It's not a HUGE task, but will take me some time when I get home. The second one turned out pretty darn well. I'm very pleased with that one.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #163
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Not just no, but H...No! I'm a hacker, not a production guy. I think the group project (effort) will lead to a source of these SP/Boxes. From what I've read, it seems there are some very talented people working on this. Coordination will be key, but I see it happening. The reason I forged ahead was that I didn't want to go on another trip without some protection for the petcock...and I really wanted to get some of the weight (the heavier tools/spares) down lower on the bike.
beauty's hubilado! lots of interesting pics on your site - thanks for taking so many. really interesting to see the mounting points and how they mate with the stock skidplate's fins. I will post one of your pics because its just that cool. note how the box attaches to the engine; its a bit different from the rallye skidplate mount. hubliado, chime in on this solution when you get a chance!

many questions I am sure, but first things first: if you have templates, plans, or whatever then send them to my email address (your bud still have it?). this would jump us pretty damn near production mode I am guessing!

everybody: this design good enough for YFF?

Old 07-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #164
hubilado
Motoquiero

As Johnny said in his email to you....we did construction and design in that order. Not the best solution, but our goal was to get one out as fast as practical. As it turned out, my project got bumped a number of times over orders from "real paying" custormers....but the process worked within the limits of that sort of strategy.

The mount you mentioned...one of my screw-ups: it's not really mounting to the engine there. It's JUST TOO CLOSE to the case. I was attempting to keep that lid mounting bracket as far away from my shifting foot as possible...and over did it a bit. On the second one we moved that bracket out another 3/8" and there's plenty of clearance and plenty of room for the shifter foot. Actually, this is one of the mods that I'm going to fix when I get home. I've just shoved some of that 1/4" neoprene in the space between the bracket and the case in the mean time....HOPING that when (not if) I crash it doesn't let any vital fluids escape! Gotta go now, no time to modify before we leave.

I DON'T HAVE ANY COMPUTER PLANS, only the cardboard templets if it's any use to you. I'd be happy to mail them to you if you think they'd help. I'd want it back in the WILD CHANCE I'd repeat this process. Also have some rubber left over; I bought it on eBay and had to get a sheet about a yard square....it wasn't very expensive, but I have quite a bit left if you'd want to use that concept. I also have the source of the rubber...the guy sent it right away and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

One thing I didn't mention earlier and something that DID ENFLUENCE the repeatabilty of these boxes was that we used the "boat mentality" when it came to space utilization; i.e., we made the boxes wider at one end to maximize the available (potential) space without encroaching on the engine, exhaust, etc. That ended up NOT being exactly the same shape between the two setups. That would not necessarily make a huge problem in doing a bunch of these...one would simply go with ONE design and not monkey with it.

Quote:
beauty's hubilado! lots of interesting pics on your site - thanks for taking so many. really interesting to see the mounting points and how they mate with the stock skidplate's fins. I will post one of your pics because its just that cool. note how the box attaches to the engine; its a bit different from the rallye skidplate mount. hubliado, chime in on this solution when you get a chance!

many questions I am sure, but first things first: if you have templates, plans, or whatever then send them to my email address (your bud still have it?). this would jump us pretty damn near production mode I am guessing!

everybody: this design good enough for YFF?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #165
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
As Johnny said in his email to you....we did construction and design in that order. Not the best solution, but our goal was to get one out as fast as practical. As it turned out, my project got bumped a number of times over orders from "real paying" custormers....but the process worked within the limits of that sort of strategy.

The mount you mentioned...one of my screw-ups: it's not really mounting to the engine there. It's JUST TOO CLOSE to the case. I was attempting to keep that lid mounting bracket as far away from my shifting foot as possible...and over did it a bit. On the second one we moved that bracket out another 3/8" and there's plenty of clearance and plenty of room for the shifter foot. Actually, this is one of the mods that I'm going to fix when I get home. I've just shoved some of that 1/4" neoprene in the space between the bracket and the case in the mean time....HOPING that when (not if) I crash it doesn't let any vital fluids escape! Gotta go now, no time to modify before we leave.

I DON'T HAVE ANY COMPUTER PLANS, only the cardboard templets if it's any use to you. I'd be happy to mail them to you if you think they'd help. I'd want it back in the WILD CHANCE I'd repeat this process. Also have some rubber left over; I bought it on eBay and had to get a sheet about a yard square....it wasn't very expensive, but I have quite a bit left if you'd want to use that concept. I also have the source of the rubber...the guy sent it right away and it turned out to be exactly what I was looking for.

One thing I didn't mention earlier and something that DID ENFLUENCE the repeatabilty of these boxes was that we used the "boat mentality" when it came to space utilization; i.e., we made the boxes wider at one end to maximize the available (potential) space without encroaching on the engine, exhaust, etc. That ended up NOT being exactly the same shape between the two setups. That would not necessarily make a huge problem in doing a bunch of these...one would simply go with ONE design and not monkey with it.
Ah, so does yours mount like the others in that area?

Here is KTiM's version:

Here is the rallye skidplate mounting:

It looks like yours are just bigger (ok by me): the Boat Mentality eh?

I will PM you my addy - everything helps, especially since grey ghost is all talk and won't send me flanny's plans