ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Assuming it's constructed like the typical KTM factory piece...
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $300 61 65.59%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $400 17 18.28%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $500 9 9.68%
I'd buy an aluminum storage/bash plate if priced below $600 6 6.45%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #16
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
IIRC, BlownCJ has the drawings Flanny made up.
There is a good reason the two-toolbox and/or water container skid plate is expensive. If you want to make it look good, and work right, then the piece becomes very intricate - plain and simple.

Firstly, cutting all of the pieces out can be spendy. The best way to get this done is with a water jet cutter, but even then, the set-up fees to convert drawings into code is spendy on a small run (ie: <25).

Secondly, once you have all of your flate peices, there is a LOT of bending to do to get the tool boxes into the right shape.

Thirdly, it turns out that there is a fair bit of welding to be done to stitch it all together once it is ready for welding.

Fourthly, the tool-box lids should seal to keep water and crap out, so that implies a further level of quality.

Finally, the thing is big and heavy at the end of the line, and it costs a lot to ship around.

One more factor to consider is that the thing needs to be designed, and a prototype made to ensure a good fit. So, right off the bat those costs in time are big, and making the first prototype will be very expensive, since the prototype is a one off.

Quoting KTim's experience is irrelevant, because firstly he is in England, and secondly making one down at the local shop by some guys who did it as a favour is not the same as preparing a production run of twenty units. When you walk into a shop with fairly complex looking plans, and start talking about small runs, the machinists/fabricators know they are going to be up to they eye-balls in the project so they make sure to get their pricing done right, and to build safety margins into it. The uncertainty becomes reflected in the price.

Anyway, as sure as the sun will rise, there will be someone who thinks this project can be done inexpensively, and all I can say to that is good luck organizing it all, and more power to 'ya if you can get it done. I would be the first to applaud, becuase I'd like to see it happen. But....I think the bottom line is this: The thing will always turn out to be spendy, and you'll invest a pretty good amount of time figuring that out again for the bizillionth time.

As indicated above, my plans were sent to BLOWNCJ, so you'd need to contact him to see if he wants to share. Remember though, those plans were never turned into a prototype, so even there, there may need to be significant adjustments made.

One final thing before I stop the rant. Mike Shelton from poland was able to build the things cheaply, and he was able to sell them for $450 USD I think. I think that if anything, the best bet would be to try to make a bulk purchase through him.

His e-mail used to be: shelton@wp.pl

Good luck with the project!
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 09:10 PM   #17
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
What if you keep it simple and use flat pieces that you can cut with a plasma cutter You could incorperate the front of the box with the side flange that attaches to the OEM skid plate. Then use a lid that has a screw in one corner that you could use as a sliding hinge. It might not be waterproof but it might only cost $100 to make. (per side that is)

It is not the destination, it's the journey.

KTM640Dakar screwed with this post 04-03-2005 at 08:23 PM
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #18
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
What is it that attracts people to these? Practicality? Rallye Look? Ok so they do give a greater protection to the sides of the engine and also the lowest part of the tank /tap so what do people store in them?? Tools, Water (god forbid) or something else? Please lets know what are your reasons for using/wanting these!

Cheers
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
Surly
surly adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr
What is it that attracts people to these? Practicality? Rallye Look? Ok so they do give a greater protection to the sides of the engine and also the lowest part of the tank /tap so what do people store in them?? Tools, Water (god forbid) or something else? Please lets know what are your reasons for using/wanting these!

Cheers
lower CG
pectcok and tank protection

I pray that you dont look at me
I pray I dont look back...

Where is Surly?
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #20
G.Kennedy

Oddometer: 1,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr

What is it that attracts people to these? Practicality?
I say lower CG also. My recent trip to Baja had me carrying almost 10 of tools on a minimalist trip. All that weight was above the axles. The lower it can be moved the better.

Secondly, I dropped my bike three times, always to the left. The first thing I would check is the petcock, hoping it had not been sheared off. Some protection would be nice.

If I had the means, I would buy the factory(sommer) version in a second. Most likely the two tool box version.
IBA#11791
G.Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:39 AM   #21
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,736
But the bike is already heavy enough as it is in the front end, it's no wonder the rallye 660 bikes are going with the heavy duty carbon set-up.
I mean the protection sounds nice and the plate looks really cool but do we really need to have tools & such on the front end?? I'm just thinking about how that front end likes to dive in sand or anything mushy.
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:59 AM   #22
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM640Dakar
What if you keep it simple and use flat pieces that you can cut with a plasma cutter You could incorperate the front of the box with the side flange that attaches to the OEM skid plate. Then use a lid that has a screw in one coner that you could use as a sliding hinge. It might not be waterproof but it might only cost $100 to make. (per side that is)

Sure...you can simplify it by making it boxy, but then it will really look like poop. Plus, in order to maximize space in the bozes, you ideally need to make them slightly over-size, and than have "cut-outs" for clearance on your boots. So again, accomplishing this makes it harder.

I think what you have to do is get into the design, and start costing it out. You'll see that once you start determining exact peices and sizes that the complexity will go up.

Like I said above, I'd love to see it done, but sometimes, things are just expensive, plain and simple.

I think you could make really beautiful ones for about $650-$750. Thing is, people just don't want them badly enough to pay that much.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:20 PM   #23
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Ok,

I don't know who's been lookin at what so here are some pics and a link to my smugmug gallery of all the bashplate toolbox pics I have. Below is a Arch quote with pics of his and comparison from the other thread. Just moving stuff into this one.

http://strong-clan.smugmug.com/gallery/465422

Here are pics that flyshop posted of his KTM rallye skidplate. Note he has the two toolbox version. Arch has the toolbox/water carrier version. Although I don't really want an aluminum water jug I do like how it rises in front of the petcock so I would vote for that type of profile on the tool box of that side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
I weighed the factory Rally bash/storage plate on the digital scales and it came to exactly 10lbs. I then weighed the stock skid plate, which came to 2.2lbs. So, the bash/storage plate adds 7.8lbs to the bike - while empty.

Visual comparisons...

I agree Flanny that KTiM might have got some deal from his fabricator, but he didnt post that so he musta told you in a PM. All he said was local fabricator in his posts. Plus you should note that KTM640Dakar is offering a deal on the welding Just how much of the total cost did you estimate the welding to be in you research Flanny?

Here are KTiM's pics of his local fabricator piece:

And just for kicks here is a skidplate from europe that is quite different; just for discussion and giggles - someone earlier said "its a snow shovel!" "$29.95!!!"

Or how about the 660 Rallye Skidplate? I can't find too much info on it, but it looks like maybe two layers, CF, water tanks tucked away inside... schwing! I found a source in the EU that list them for $1800 euros...

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 07-13-2005 at 03:02 PM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:08 PM   #24
KTM640Dakar OP
Motorsick

Oddometer: 1,990
KTim,

How wide is your petcock side box? Does it extend to the outer edge of your gas tank?

I made some patterns tonight for the petcock side box. I'll get some 1/8 inch aluminum sheet this week and plasma cut some pieces out and weld up a box. We can see if it will work. This will be for use on the outside of an OEM skid plate with the KTM flange logo.

Is the rear bracket that holds the rubber grommet doing anything? Has anyone crashed one of these things? I understand the concept of the rubber bumper but if we build these on one stiff underplate and use an OEM skidplate then it may not be necessary.
Any thoughts?

It is not the destination, it's the journey.
KTM640Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:04 PM   #25
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Quote:
KTim,

How wide is your petcock side box? Does it extend to the outer edge of your gas tank?

I made some patterns tonight for the petcock side box. I'll get some 1/8 inch aluminum sheet this week and plasma cut some pieces out and weld up a box. We can see if it will work. This will be for use on the outside of an OEM skid plate with the KTM flange logo.

Is the rear bracket that holds the rubber grommet doing anything? Has anyone crashed one of these things? I understand the concept of the rubber bumper but if we build these on one stiff underplate and use an OEM skidplate then it may not be necessary.
Any thoughts?

I say go for it. You don't know until you try. Depending on cost I'm in.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:08 PM   #26
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,803
I am VERY interested as I have already broken off one Petcock from a fall....
craigincali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 05:35 AM   #27
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
KTim,

Based on the pics above I don't think it does; I would like to have the boxes at least as wide as the bottom of the tank to help with support in crashes. Also, I for one would vote for a shape more like the factory box that arch has on his bike. I realize its for water but maybe the the front plate could just extend up in front of the petcock. Let me find a pic of it on there. Here:

Here is his gallery (Arch, if you don't want me replicating your gallery link plz let me know )

http://arch.smugmug.com/gallery/806/2/126981

Quote:
1/8 inch was the thickness that flyshop quoted; that should work. Very interested in seeing your results!

Quote:
Any thoughts?
If you are talking about the one on the back of either side in the middle then I would guess its there for a crash to help keep the box from bending inwards. Seems important to me. another arch pic:

Old 04-04-2005, 07:02 AM   #28
Arch
Incurable Gearhead

Oddometer: 11,705
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Here is his gallery (Arch, if you don't want me replicating your gallery link plz let me know )
Nah, it's cool, MP. I'm just not weighing in much 'cause it's already been gone over so many times before.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #29
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch
Nah, it's cool, MP. I'm just not weighing in much 'cause it's already been gone over so many times before.
Thanks Arch, I know it's been gone over and over and over

but we never had a professional Al welder onboard who wants one too...

Old 04-04-2005, 07:21 AM   #30
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,706
if you guys build one to this type of quality i'll take one. up to $500... betcha can't do it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

I agree Flanny that KTiM might have got some deal from his fabricator, but he didnt post that so he musta told you in a PM. All he said was local fabricator in his posts. Plus you should note that KTM640Dakar is offering a deal on the welding Just how much of the total cost did you estimate the welding to be in you research Flanny?

Here are KTiM's pics of his local fabricator piece:

And just for kicks here is a skidplate from europe that is quite different; just for discussion and giggles - someone earlier said "its a snow shovel!" "$29.95!!!"

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote