User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Hookalatch OP
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 273
Hoske Mufflers

I made the mistake? of stopping by Chris Canterbury's Boxer Metal Shop one day. I had recently purchased an R80RT after being Airheadless for a few years. I had no intentions of keeping the bike, I had only purchased it for my son to ride and planned to resell it afterwards. Chris always seems to have plenty of interesting projects and I was busy looking them over when I heard an Airhead with Hoske exhaust fire up. What a sweet sound! Reminiscent of the old BSA's and Triumphs I rode decades ago.

Chris was a wealth of knowledge and gave me many useful suggestions and ideas but it was the sound of those Hoske silencers that really got me started on this rebuilding/reconfiguring adventure. (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879502). It seems a little ironic that adding those mufflers to my project was the last thing that got done. But I finally got a set and have had a chance to put a few miles on the bike with them installed.

After waiting a long time to get these mufflers and waiting what seemed even longer waiting for them to arrive from Germany, I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed when I finally installed them. I have always liked the looks of the stock BMW mufflers. They just seem to look right on the bike. The Hoske's are much shorter (and much lighter) and initally I thought they looked a little funny and made the ass-end of the bike look a little ponderous. I can see why the Cafe crowd likes to shorten the back end. It was raining when I installed them so I fired the bike up inside my shop. Oh no, those suckers were louder than I remembered.

I am getting used to the new look to the exhaust now and am starting to like the look. The exhaust didn't sound near as loud once I opened the shop doors and the noise while riding is sweet music indeed. They are probably too loud for many of the BMW group and may be a bit much for someone riding right behind me but I am loving the noise. I didn't purchase these mufflers looking for any performance gains, I just wanted to hear that exhaust note that I have only heard from the Hoske mufflers. However, the bike feels like it is pulling stronger than before. It may just be the sound but if I THINK it is making more power, does it really matter if it actually does or not? I need to readjust my carbs air screws but I don't think any jetting changes will be needed.

I purchased the mufflers off of ebay from a German retailer. They were $488 delivered to my door. If you do a search on this site you will find references that indicate Boxer Metal sells them for $400. I missed out on that and Chris no longer deals in them. I would have preferred to give my money to a US company but the only US dealer I can find is here in California and wants nearly $100 more delivered before paying an additional $40+ in State taxes. Many people consider these expensive but compared to what people are paying for little exhaust canisters for other bikes they seem well priced.

I will try to add some pictures to my build thread tonight. If you want to see pictures of the mufflers on the bike go to the last page. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879502

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
east high
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
When did Chris stop selling them? I bought mine from him just a few months ago.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Hookalatch OP
Old and in the way

Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by east high View Post
When did Chris stop selling them? I bought mine from him just a few months ago.
You would have to ask him that. It has been at least a few months.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,753
I run them on my r90 and love them. They're throaty and louder than the stock mufflers but not too loud. They aren't ridiculously annoying at highway cruising speeds but they actually sound like a legit motorcycle instead of the puny stock BMW exhausts.
I'm actually not a huge fan of the looks because they're just straight. They don't angle almost 180 degrees like the stock mufflers. If they did, they'd look 1000x better.
They're worth the sound, alone. Throaty, deep and wonderful without being too freaking loud.

I feel like they sounds exactly how a BMW SHOULD sound.

I think they look really good with a solo seat and /2 bars...but that's my opinion.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650

blaine.hale screwed with this post 10-01-2013 at 07:42 PM
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale View Post
I run them on my r90 and love them. They're throaty and louder than the stock mufflers but not too loud. They aren't ridiculously annoying at highway cruising speeds but they actually sound like a legit motorcycle instead of the puny stock BMW exhausts.
I'm actually not a huge fan of the looks because they're just straight. They don't angle almost 180 degrees like the stock mufflers. If they did, they'd look 1000x better.
They're worth the sound, alone. Throaty, deep and wonderful without being too freaking loud.

I feel like they sounds exactly how a BMW SHOULD sound.

I think they look really good with a solo seat and /2 bars...but that's my opinion.
I wonder what it would look like with about a 2" tailpiece on it? maybe curved so it's level?

Patcocks can be switched side to side.

There is a trick to making the passenger pegs so they don't flop.

I'm I big fan of loud pipes. Stangely, when I upped the compression, the pipes got quieter. I'm looking for solutions.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote