ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you consider participating in a group buy?
Yes, if the price is right. 13 86.67%
No, these cartridges are way to expensive. 0 0%
No, USD forks will work so much better 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #226
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
whats the go koko? any news?
No, I am starting to get a bit annoyed with the guy. He has not replied to a single email I've sent and over the phone he's been feeding me the same line for a while now. How long can it take to get a few springs shipped and have the cartridges ready to go. I'll ring him one more time tomorrow, and then leave him to it.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #227
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
No, I am starting to get a bit annoyed with the guy. He has not replied to a single email I've sent and over the phone he's been feeding me the same line for a while now. How long can it take to get a few springs shipped and have the cartridges ready to go. I'll ring him one more time tomorrow, and then leave him to it.
'No, USD forks will work so much better' - told ya.

Actually, if this comes off, then it will have been worth the aggravation. But...from the sounds of it I think that he has enough on just trying to satisfy demand in Germany, without going offshore. He needs some one to step in & organise his business practices though.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #228
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box'a'bits View Post
'No, USD forks will work so much better' - told ya.

Actually, if this comes off, then it will have been worth the aggravation. But...from the sounds of it I think that he has enough on just trying to satisfy demand in Germany, without going offshore. He needs some one to step in & organise his business practices though.
so knowing what you know now,is the USD conversion worth it....what did you do for triples again?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:56 AM   #229
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by advNZer? View Post
so knowing what you know now,is the USD conversion worth it....what did you do for triples again?
For me, absolutely yes. But if you wanted to keep the original 'look'? Depends on how much form over function matters to you. I'll send you a PM.

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:21 AM   #230
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
I could jump on the list, but what is currently the most viable complete USD solution that will be at least as good as these cartridges? I have access to a set of 4860 from a 450EXC, but I think they're not the best ones to start with. Triples? Just trying to evaluate options.

FWIW, if you do the 'one last call and then leave him to it' thing, tell him that the ball is in his court and he needs to call you if/when he's ready, and also that the sale is not guaranteed past a certain time due to the delays. You've probably set up a situation where he expects the contact to come from you. Maybe he just doesn't want to sell a whole bunch of them at a discount, if he still has to ship them individually.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #231
AliBaba
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
I could jump on the list, but what is currently the most viable complete USD solution that will be at least as good as these cartridges? I have access to a set of 4860 from a 450EXC, but I think they're not the best ones to start with. Triples? Just trying to evaluate options.
It's hard to compare cartridges and USD.

The points with the cartridges are that it's easy, cheap (sort off), predictable and it works pretty good right out of the box.

If you want USD you will need triples, brakes and a wheel. Then you need to adapt the triple to fit and shorten the forks. When everything is assembled your valving and springs are probably way off. This is a lot of job and if you are not able to do it yourself it's expensive.
The best (IMHO) is to make your original wheel (and maybe brakes) to fit, but then you have even more job.

So basically cartridges are installed in a few hours with a fixed price, USD takes some weeks or months and has not a fixed price.
This depends on if you can get the cartridges

A friend of mine adapted a Husky 610 fork to fit and the cost was only 500Ä, because he had a friend who could adapt the triple, another friend who shortened and worked with the forks etc.
AliBaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #232
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
seems weird to me that the guy has them listed and sells this stuff but doesn't want to get off his ass and make it happen. What he doesn't like money??? What springs is he talking about as the main spring will be custom for each rider's weight......so that kind of makes me wonder.

If he gets this part taken care of then there's him setting up the PayPal.......another hurdle.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #233
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,176
Perhaps because the discount is essentially mitigating his profit margin? I dont have any idea what that is on his end, but a ten% discount probably eats into it a bit. Dunno what his business model is, but obviously the incentive is not huge.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #234
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
I have had exactly 6 dealings with German companies. Siebenrock, HPN, Touratech, and HE. HE is the only one that kept in constant contact with me...and I mean, I got 3 emails from them within a 2 month period. Everyone else sucked at keeping me informed as to when I would expect the product I had ordered. ....maybe that's the way Germans do Business??
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #235
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

seems to be like they are doing the potential customer a favor, I think they forget it's the customer that gives them them the business, but more like the company gives the customer the "business," But the key is that business has two different definitions!!!

I've had dealing with one German stateside (Gunter Weurst) and was very pleased in working with him.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #236
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl View Post
I have had exactly 6 dealings with German companies. Siebenrock, HPN, Touratech, and HE.
How did you manage to buy anything from HPN? Congratulations! Iím currently after one of their under-seat water tanks so the lovely pillion and I donít perish on our overland sojourn. No luck so far, and time is ticking...
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #237
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
How did you manage to buy anything from HPN? Congratulations! Iím currently after one of their under-seat water tanks so the lovely pillion and I donít perish on our overland sojourn. No luck so far, and time is ticking...
Oh my God!!! It took me almost a year (9 1/2 months) from start to finish to deal with them and get my big fuel tank. I would set my alarm to get up around 3 am to call them, I did that for 6 months once a week. They were f#$%ing impossible!!!! I wish you luck!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #238
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Just buy a MSR Dromedary Bag and call it quits.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:15 AM   #239
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,532
I've just called him. Now I am sitting here, waiting for him to call back. He's gone to look if the springs have arrived. I am not sure how it works with the individual set up of the springs. I'll try and find out. Perhaps it's all done within a preload range.

Let's see if he rings back.....
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #240
Beemerboff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,221
The springs for the HPN inserts are a stock line from Hyperpro, so there shouldnt be a problem with them.

They worked perfectly for me when I was 15 1/2 stone, and they were still perfect after I lost 3 1/2 stone - once you get the balance right, front to rear, rider weight becomes less important.
The rear Ohlins with a 450 lb spring is where you do the fine tuning.

Maxton in England would welcome your business - they reply almost immediately to emails, and have the in house facilities and experience necessary to make whatever inserts you require - from their website it looks as if that is their speciality, and their quote for a pair of custom twin shocks for my R75/7 is more than reasonable.