ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you consider participating in a group buy?
Yes, if the price is right. 13 86.67%
No, these cartridges are way to expensive. 0 0%
No, USD forks will work so much better 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #601
OZbeemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
No I just got them today. Wont be in for a bit. I just sent sideshow a message so that we could meet up at the rally. Are yours installed? If not we should work out a tech session or such. See you in Viroqua.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoJack View Post
Hi OZbeemer, might you have them installed in time for Lorem Ipsum?

I'm riding out with sideshow and a few others tomorrow. It would be nice to meet you. I'll either be on a /5 with mismatched (and not cosmetically perfect) tank, or an RS.
OZbeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #602
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,500
No, and I am moving to the Eau Claire area at the end of the month. I've also been waiting for a Motorrad Elektric bean can for the past two months. I ordered it a week before the guy that makes them got back from a long trip to Australia so I think I'm at the end of a long list to get one.

But I'll be back occasionally and might be able to leave the bike here for the time being, so maybe we can get together. That would be fun. See you tomorrow. Should be a good day for a ride!
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:53 PM   #603
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,597

Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 AM   #604
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,565
About bloody time!!
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 AM   #605
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
About bloody time!!
That's for sur. Too bad I don't have the time to install them. I should be able to get all the parts that I'll need organised.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #606
Renner
infamous wrench

Oddometer: 2,101
Wot!
Black anodized... that was an option?

Congratulations Koko. long time coming, eh?
Great seeing you've got yours.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 AM   #607
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,727
crap! whatd I do with my stickers! haha! Must get them on.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 PM   #608
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Yes, it looks like almost everyone has their now, or will get them in the next couple of days, if they are in NZ.

I am pleased that this has all been sorted and also relieved that people have stayed with it for so long. I think we did get the 10 orders in the end. Now all we need is some test reports and perhaps step by step installation instructions :-).

The stickers are important Stagehand, it's not like an Ohlins that can just quietly sit there, all golden.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #609
akabeton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Step by Step

Yes that's a great idea. Maybe Stagehand and Renner can collaborate.
Be much appreciated.
My inserts are in Toronto, clearing customs.
Out of interest, how much did most people get dinged for duty and taxes? My total( here in Canada) came to $146.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #610
Renner
infamous wrench

I may have something coherent by tomorrow evening.

Just want to say that while looking at the spring preload it occurred to me how it is that "preload increases with the number of visible rings".

The distance from the top of that indicator to the bottom of the fork remain constant once the jamb nut is spun up against the spring retainer.

As the ringed indicator turns out the slider is pulled up at the same rate, compressing the spring.

sorry I had it wrong earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner
The item under Attention- Preload adjustment: preload increases with the number of visible rings seems to me poorly worded, or just wrong pretty clear now
New steering bearings went in this weekend.
I inadvertently got a bit of twist in the forks.
Tore the front end back down to bare stanchions this afternoon, all parallel & coplanar again and planning to reassemble tomorrow after work, pics promised.

It seems to me much easier to assemble the cartridges free of the forks, then with the stanchions and sliders in place, install the cartridges and secure them with the retaining screw at bottom.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #611
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,727
I think I was going to run into issues putting the right amount of oil in, and checking it with the things assembled.. Seemed to me thats why it says to put the oil in first, then assemble.

DId all that, got a finished fork leg, then stuck em on the bike.

ALso, I noticed when I was screwing the top cap down that it was pushing the spring pre-loader out. I had to screw it back down with the handles to get it to three rings, which is how I figured it was working as a pre-loader.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:56 AM   #612
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
mine are in Sydney,i aint worried cos i think i was the last one to get things sorted via paypal.Has given me a chance to get the battery box pulled out n powder coated and my seat recovered.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #613
igormortis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,266
You get a new battery also?
igormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 AM   #614
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormortis View Post
You get a new battery also?
yep,just got everything back
Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #615
Renner
infamous wrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I think I was going to run into issues putting the right amount of oil in, and checking it with the things assembled.. Seemed to me thats why it says to put the oil in first, then assemble.
Yes, canít check fork oil level without removing the spring and retainer.

This being my second go-round with assembly, Iím reasonably confident 430ml puts me in the ballpark: an air chamber 120-140mm deep.
430ml oil = 135mm air chamber in my case.

Iíve seen 140mm minimum air chamber specified a few times by reputable sources (so the seals wonít see too much pressure in hard use) but Iím beginning to think that doesnít apply to GS seals with the clip retainer making it a more robust design.

Iíve also considered doing some math to determine how many milliliters it takes to get form 135 to 120mm but you knowÖ probably it will be easier if I take the springs out, overfill a little and siphon off the top 120mm. I would feel better about it.

The first timeÖ that part where we need to screw the spring retainer to the damper plunger/actuating rodÖ I didnít like even after looping the string under the jamb nut to pull the rod up through the spring. If the string slips off and the plunger goes to the bottom then the oily spring needs comes out to reach the plunger rodÖ a potentially messy business.
Could be Iím making it harder than it is; itís a small thing in the big picture.

Another personally bothersome item was: when the fork legs are assembled off the bike, one canít easily/accurately check fork alignment after installation, which I really like to verify during the process.

Saturday with the forks assembled and installed I measured initial sag of 56mm.
Then a friend dropped by and we set the proper preload on the new steering bearingsÖ torqueing against the stop (though I know better, thinking maybe the GS design would be less prone to twist, etc.).
All back together and it seems my sag is gone even with less spring preload.
Suspecting fork alignment, removing cartridges then sliders to check the stanchions: forks are parallel but not coplanar.
With a little time and effort Iíve got the stanchions back to parallel and coplanar within .002Ē and Iím happy.

With all this practice, assembly should go well this afternoon.