ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Would you consider participating in a group buy?
Yes, if the price is right. 13 86.67%
No, these cartridges are way to expensive. 0 0%
No, USD forks will work so much better 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #826
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,509
Well, I just went for a ride. It was actually quite good. Definitely no bottoming out over the potholes that I could find, Felt OK on gravel corrugations, if not a little firm. I might just reduce the preload a bit, to see what happens. The compression and rebound adjustments definitely make a difference. I seem to have less fork dive than before. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it against.

For now I will not open it up again. I understand that the rebound limits the speed with which the spring can expand again. So all the way anticlockwise should give a pogo effect and all the way clockwise would cause the suspension to pack down, as there is not enough time to expand again. Is this thinking correct?

The compression adjustment all the way anticlockwise should make the suspension soft and all the way clockwise should make it firm.

Will the amount of preload have any effect on firmness? It seems to on my R1150Gs.

I am trying to achieve a slightly plusher suspension feel than I have right now.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #827
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
I'm interested in hearing responses as well.

with my sag set ~30%, I've adjusted the rebound and compression damping about 1/2 turn from full anti-clockwise.
For my bike and conditions, this seems about right.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #828
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,909
I really have to go check out where I am again.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #829
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Well, I just went for a ride. It was actually quite good. Definitely no bottoming out over the potholesthat I could find, Felt OK on gravel corrugations, if not a little firm. I might just reduce the preload a bit, to see what happens. The compression and rebound adjustments definitely make a difference. I seem to have less fork dive than before. Unfortunately, I have nothing to compare it against.

For now I will not open it up again. I understand that the rebound limits the speed with which the spring can expand again. So all the way anticlockwise should give a pogo effect and all the way clockwise would cause the suspension to pack down, as there is not enough time to expand again. Is this thinking correct?

The compression adjustment all the way anticlockwise should make the suspension soft and all the way clockwise should make it firm.

Will the amount of preload have any effect on firmness? It seems to on my R1150Gs.

I am trying to achieve a slightly plusher suspension feel than I have right now.
You are totally right about the pogo and packing effect.
If you guys would like to compare the settings it would be best to all count turns starting from fully clockwise.
I never held these cartridges but with most systems the total amount turns available varies from how far the cap is screwed onto the piston rod.

The pre-load does not change the spring strength only sag. So it should not change the feeling. But most of the times it does.
Going over corrugations might feel totally different with more or less sag. If the bike has less sag the fork could expand to the max and pull the bike into the corrugations. Which could feel firm or make you loose traction.The same thing can happen because of too much re-bound. Than the fork could be to slow to let the wheel follow the road surface.
With more sag the fork can expand more without pulling the bike into the corrugations.

The firm feeling might be caused by stiction caused by the seals or the cartridge. Most of the times they have to wear in for some km's.

R100GS'91 (sold)

Prutser screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 02:43 PM
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #830
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,282
Just thought I'd shoot out a heads up that there's an original set of cartridge inserts on german ebay and it's already up to way too much money.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #831
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
The firm feeling might be caused by stiction caused by the seals or the cartridge. Most of the times they have to wear in for some km's.
Yes, I did change the seals as well and I must admit, that I didn't have the gaitors fixed at the top and bottom, so this could make a difference. I will ride it for a while and see if it loosens up a bit. All the feedback is very much appreciated.

Now, if I could only find why my left front indicator is no longer working. The bulb looks fine, but maybe the wire is broken somewhere. I hate electrical faults. Where is the most likely spot for it to break and how do I fix it? This is all voodo magic for me.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #832
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
If you guys would like to compare the settings it would be best to all count turns starting from fully clockwise.
Thanks Pruster, I'm new to this.

just checked my settings from full clockwise:
compression out/open 2.3 turns,
rebound 1.5

... don't know if this is unusual...
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 PM   #833
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Ok, I guess I've done all that I can do for now, even the stickers are on.

That damn bolt still doesn't want to torque up, so I'll just have to leave it.

Found the problem with my indicator, it was the bulb after all, even though it looks perfectly fine.

I've reduced the preload a bit and will go for another ride on it tomorrow. The oil level will have to stay as it is,
until the fork oil needs changing, or I can be bothered to take it apart again.
Since I've put in equal amounts, it can't be too far off.

I guess the problem with adjustable forks is that they are adjustable, though I am pretty sure I'll end up with a setting that I like. Thanks for all the support during my spannering. Too bad you guys are all so far away, I really could have done with a babysitter to keep an eye on what I do and how I do it.

The indicators a currently zip-tied in place. The seem to be pretty solid, so I'll have some time to look for a set that fits, or somehow modify the bracket to make the stock indicators fit.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #834
advNZer?
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,686
Quote:
Ok, I guess I've done all that I can do for now, even the stickers are on.

That damn bolt still doesn't want to torque up, so I'll just have to leave it.

Found the problem with my indicator, it was the bulb after all, even though it looks perfectly fine.

I've reduced the preload a bit and will go for another ride on it tomorrow. The oil level will have to stay as it is,
until the fork oil needs changing, or I can be bothered to take it apart again.
Since I've put in equal amounts, it can't be too far off.

I guess the problem with adjustable forks is that they are adjustable, though I am pretty sure I'll end up with a setting that I like. Thanks for all the support during my spannering. Too bad you guys are all so far away, I really could have done with a babysitter to keep an eye on what I do and how I do it.

The indicators a currently zip-tied in place. The seem to be pretty solid, so I'll have some time to look for a set that fits, or somehow modify the bracket to make the stock indicators fit.

gee thet seems complex.I hope its easier when I can actuall see it.I still dont have mine in.I think i need to do some work on the steering head bearings...I am sure i can sense some free play
I have had to replace 3 indicator bulbs in the last month or so!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #835
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Got a bit more riding done. I might go back down to 3 rings on the preload and back the compression off even more. The adjustments definitely work as they should. I have less fork dive when braking, than before.

I went over a speed bump on a long gravel drive, at speed. It was a well rounded one, maybe 3 feet across and 2/3 of a foot high, something like that anyway. The front well just took it in, but the back wheel did a little hop. I think I'll now have to look at the big picture now.

Even with new legs, it was never going to be a ballerina, but now it's no longer an elephant in a tutu. I am confident now that I can get it dialled in the way I want it. Even the indicator works again.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 AM   #836
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
Thought I'd better go & check the adjustment on mine after all this talk. I noticed one of the rubber boots was slightly twisted. I adjusted it back a couple of clicks. I think I caught it before any permanent damage could occur but I'll post up my findings after my next ride.
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #837
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Thought I'd better go & check the adjustment on mine after all this talk. I noticed one of the rubber boots was slightly twisted. I adjusted it back a couple of clicks. I think I caught it before any permanent damage could occur but I'll post up my findings after my next ride.
I am glad you caught it on time. I would smear butter on, that should reduce the friction enough to make it self align. Unsalted works best.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #838
Box'a'bits
In need of repair

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
I am glad you caught it on time. I would smear butter on, that should reduce the friction enough to make it self align. Unsalted works best.
Surely a synthetic margarine would be a better option for this application...

It's just better when there's twins involved....
Box'a'bits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 AM   #839
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,333
It's all about chloresterol
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #840
Kokopelli OP
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
It's all about chloresterol
That reminds me, I've got to do that stupid blood test again.....