User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
LukasM OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,330
Is there an iOS app that can use a Garmin gmapsupp.img maps? MotionX?

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini to use when traveling on the bike, and it would be a big bonus if it could be used for navigation as well. I already have quite a few Garmin map sets in the gmapsupp.img format that I would like to use, is there an iOS app that can read them?

If not, does anybody know if Google maps - which I hear can be loaded up on MotionX - are a good alternative for South and Central America, outside of populated areas?

Cheers,
Lukas
Old 11-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Mini to use when traveling on the bike, and it would be a big bonus if it could be used for navigation as well. I already have quite a few Garmin map sets in the gmapsupp.img format that I would like to use, is there an iOS app that can read them?

If not, does anybody know if Google maps - which I hear can be loaded up on MotionX - are a good alternative for South and Central America, outside of populated areas?

Cheers,
Lukas
No. Garmin maps used on current mobile devices are compiled differently than those for standalone GPS receivers. Another BIG mistake in Garmin's [lack of] Mobile strategy.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
250senuf
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,176
Rather than an iPad mini take a look at an Acer Iconia W3-810. OS is Windows 8 (full version of Windows), 32 bit. Available with 32 or 64 GB SSD. Runs Mapsource and Basecamp just fine although the touch interface takes some getting used to but adding a mini bluetooth keyboard with touchpad (Fosmon) gets you to having a pocket sized "desktop". The screen has a slight bit of a "gauze" appearance that is sometimes visible but it doesn't interfere with mapping use.
But perhaps you're Apple product oriented re computing.

EDIT to add info Nov 11, 2013.

250senuf screwed with this post 11-11-2013 at 09:36 AM Reason: add info
250senuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
mpatch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukasM View Post
Hey guys,

Cheers,
Lukas
MotionX maps are huge memory hogs due to the way they are made.
From my old thread:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=779927

this sums it up:

from motionx

Hi XXXXX,
At this time no changes have been made. Allow me to explain what is occurring. The perceived discrepancy comes from the filesystem block size. The iOS filesystem uses a block size of 4KB. That means every file is stored in multiples of 4KB. So a 10 byte file, a 500 byte file, and a 3.9KB file all use 4KB of storage. A 13KB file uses 16KB of storage, and so on.

These two factors combine for the perceived discrepancy. Another example is if map download set of only 20 tiles is 100KB. But each tile is 5KB of data and takes 8KB to store, making the actual disk usage 8KB*20 = 160KB. As you can see this can really add up when you have many sparse road or terrain tiles that are really only a few hundred bytes, but all require 4KB to store.

All the best,
Marcus Poteete
mpatch is online now   Reply With Quote