Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2011, 12:05 PM   #31
Crofty
Life's a Garden, DIG IT!

Oddometer: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Crumpet View Post
i love cooking in aluminium, but I can never remember the meal or where i left it!
Crofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #32
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,465
I mostly use a coleman feather, always on petrol. Very clean burning, no soot, very quick to fire up. Hard to find in australia so u.s. purchase is the obvious. The "feather" is a size smaller than the coleman pictured a few postings earlier.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #33
barneyrubble
Aspiring overlander

Oddometer: 435
I've used a Trangia for over 20 years and love the simplicty and durability of it. The only downside I've found with the Trangia is that it struggles in cold weather (anything under 2C)
Have recently bought a MSR Whisperlite International. Burns any fuel shellite, petrol, diesel etc and runs well at any temperature. Taking the MSR on the bike means there's no need to carry fuel for cooking.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
XRman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,263
Lttle Bug Junior stove

This is a collapsible two walled cylinder with a two position grid to hold the pot over the heat source. One posiiton for wood burning and one for a metho burner, like a trangia type metho burner. It is ultra light weight and packable.

Google it and see if it is for you. There are YouTube demos

I have a Coleman dual fuel as well but sometimes it is nice to have a small cooking fire as well. ( warm and cosy without using a lot of wood)

I like the light weight SS camp oven idea a few posts ago! Sundowner do you recall apoproximate costs of his camp oven?

XRman screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 05:19 PM Reason: forgot something
XRman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #35
griffo1962
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by trustme View Post
+1 for Trangia. I like the having 2 pots & frying pan all in one unit, compact & simple, slightly hungry on fuel , bit slow to cook , works anywhere.

I also use a Coleman 533. cooks quicker , fuel always available, bulky, smelly in the saddle bag , gotta carry pots & pans so might as well take the Trangia as well, grrrr kind of self defeating

I have both of these as well and always end up using the Trangia.....
griffo1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:52 PM   #36
Sundowner
Bort

Oddometer: 3,445
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
I like the light weight SS camp oven idea a few posts ago! Sundowner do you recall apoproximate costs of his camp oven?
I actually found it listed on Ebay and got it really cheap from memory. I'd expect it to be somewhere around $80 or more considering the high quality involved. Contact these folk for a price.
I also fogot to mention that both pots have built in wire handles for lifting/hanging over a fire.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #37
wotafm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
+1 on the trangia i have been using one for 15+ years. i would recomend the duo lined pots they have stainless on the inside and alloy on the outside easy to clean and take care of.
i had the teflon coated pots but it started to rub of with the vibriations on the bike.
also i have the optimus nova+ multi fuel stove that will fit into the trangia and replace the metho burner which is great for longer trips.
wotafm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:12 PM   #38
Uncle Crumpet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 507
i found the tatonka gear to be good quality and reasonably priced.
Ducati 907ie.83 TT600 KTM 640 Adventure
Etz 250 Guzzi Quota 1000
Uncle Crumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #39
dunno_where OP
130km open roads!

Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jane View Post
Excellent stoves, nothing on them to go wrong. They do take a long time to cook though.
If your on a real adventure, should time be a something you leave behind you? No schedules? No dates? Just ride?

Or is that retirement?

> > > > > > >

Ok alot of you have specified the Trangia. Someone mentioned the simplicitiy of the unit. No moving parts. Nothing to break. I've been looking at this setup from Trangia:

I think they call it the 27-8 Set. The best thing i like about it is that all this fits inside one another to make a compact cooking setup.

QUESTION: Can the unit only run on metho/alcho or can it take something like Shellite or if need be, petrol?

I've seen a CO2 canister blow the arse out of a soft pannier on a bike. (I think Philth has a picture of Marky Marks experience) So I can just imagine something like the a Coleman cooker or Butane blowing the arse end of the bike off if the same happens. Gas cookers are definatley out for me.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS Sport-Tourer

dunno_where screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 11:41 PM
dunno_where is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:32 PM   #40
BBRadar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno_where View Post
If your on a real adventure, should time be a something you leave behind you? No schedules? No dates? Just ride?
I agree, I like sitting around drinking port with a mate while my dinner is cooking (and taking it's time) on an alcohol stove. Never been in a rush to get something cooked while camping.
BBRadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #41
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post

It's not hugely thick, however it is thicker than any "camping" cookware I've seen in the usual crappy camping shop offerings, so it's easy to cook food without burning the hell out of it. It works really well on gas as well.
I really can't praise this kit highly enough. Best purchase I've ever made for camp cookware. It is fairly light as well, so don't write it off as heavy or overkill just on looks. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding...

I'm movin' to Oz... seem like all you guys are taking steaks along with you for quick camp meals (what, are you killing things on the trail/road for those steaks?! how do ya keep 'em fresh?) where-as Americans would have a snack-bar or cold-cuts...

Sundowner, what is that bread? I need that recipe if it's easy enough to make from stuff you'd bring on a motorcycle.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #42
trailcutter

Oddometer: 181
i have a veritable nest of stoves .... being an old school bushwalker i went from trangia metho thru to msr whisperlite .....to msr multi fuel .... pressure stoves....etc etc

.for hiking i pak some good kit made by the japs called snow peak / ..titanium very lite compact etc / efficient../ quality..

.pending wich bike and the sort of trip determines the stove i take ... but

i was anti gas for years.........but

i have come full circle and now genrally carry the trangia titanium with the optional gas retro fit.. makes real cooking a pleasure... simmering a stew in the scrub for hrs is not a problem ,,,where as with a pressure stove u r allways pissing around with it

guess it comes down to what u like to eat..........but as one inmate said .......it can be a pleasure sitting around bullshitting whislt u r preping a decent meal...and considering what a solid day of fair dinkum riding can take out of u .. i am happy to carry the little bit of xtra bulk to have the options a cooker like the trangia can offer

http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/bac...-scs-010t.html
http://www.trangia.se/english/2917.t...cessories.html
Nr 742527 Gas burner, Primus system. Fits in lower windshield as alternative to the spirit burner. High efficiency,easy control. With cover. Weight 180 g.

trailcutter screwed with this post 11-27-2011 at 11:57 PM
trailcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #43
Sean-0
Closed

Oddometer: 4,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo Dave View Post
I'm movin' to Oz... seem like all you guys are taking steaks along with you for quick camp meals (what, are you killing things on the trail/road for those steaks?! how do ya keep 'em fresh?) where-as Americans would have a snack-bar or cold-cuts...

Sundowner, what is that bread? I need that recipe if it's easy enough to make from stuff you'd bring on a motorcycle.
nar thats just rd kill .... best to try to get it b4 she gets flyblown
the best cuts are from the Ass of a drop bear
Sean-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:46 AM   #44
OzRob
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagueout View Post
I mostly use a coleman feather, always on petrol. Very clean burning, no soot, very quick to fire up. Hard to find in australia so u.s. purchase is the obvious. The "feather" is a size smaller than the coleman pictured a few postings earlier.
I use the Coleman 442 Exponent stove, I got mine from the UK as they still sell them there,
I am a winter camper so I found the Trangia is a bit hard to light at -15, also gas is the same as you need to pre heat the canister some how or it just freezes up.
I found that I ended up having a draw full of half used gas canisters, as a trip away I would use some and would buy a new canister for the next trip,
I wanted a stove where fuel is not a problem....lots of petrol on the bike available, will light in the cold, will work in the wind, and does not take forever to cook, so the Coleman 442 Exponent ticked all the boxes, I do use the saucepan from the Trangia, and my old Army Kidney cup, and that's about all.
I have even used the 442 Exponent stove underneath the Coleman folding oven to cook a roast (car camping with the wife).
I carry the 442 in a padded bag which also holds the lighter, cutlery, matches and a scouring pad.
Trangia's are good too, unbreakable, and good for cooking all sorts of things, I even have the optional plastic cutting board/strainer and kettle.
Go for a Exponent stove of a Trangia, metho is easier to find than a gas canister.
OzRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:02 AM   #45
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
I have a MSR Dragonfly.
A simple tallish stainless steel pot with a steamer insert.
Small pan with fold up handle for steak.

http://myboottrail.blogspot.com/2010...ve-review.html

Runs fine on kerosene and a simple jet change to run on unleaded fuel.
Very simple,reliable (probably fired up 500+ times) ,will boil a litre of water in under 3 minutes,will simmer.
Folds up fairly compact,fuel bottle in the rear Andystapz pannier and off you go.
Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote